U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2013, 08:25 AM

12,201 posts, read 11,508,141 times

Advertisements

More time wasted.

The House Elementary and Secondary Education Committee heard testimony Wednesday on a measure that would require state officials to develop guidelines for teaching evolution in public schools.

Supporters said the measure would empower teachers and help students develop critical thinking skills. A Democrat on the committee said he was concerned the bill would open “Pandora’s box” and lead to having religion taught in public schools.

Read more here: Missouri bill would mandate school time for pros and cons of evolution theory - KansasCity.com
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 03:10 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,441,551 times
There's nothing wrong with thinking critically, but the fact that this bill only applies to evolution and not to any other scientific theory just screams "ulterior motive." I don't think they're actually interested in teaching children to think critically, but are using this bill as a trojan horse to teach creationism in public schools. And then people wonder why Missouri sits at #41 in the national education rankings.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:10 PM

220 posts, read 404,335 times
When did they quit teaching evolution and creationism in school anyways? We had both, along with learning about a lot of other religions and cultures. All at a public school too.

Big deal, teach it subjectively and don't try to convert people one way or the other.

Old 02-22-2013, 11:18 AM

12,201 posts, read 11,508,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc chris View Post
When did they quit teaching evolution and creationism in school anyways? We had both, along with learning about a lot of other religions and cultures. All at a public school too.

Big deal, teach it subjectively and don't try to convert people one way or the other.
Such Radical thinking! Why would they do something logical? Some bills coming through our Mo govt lately have been one sided

Old 02-23-2013, 05:01 PM

565 posts, read 879,170 times
I've considered a move to the STL area but things like this make me super wary to send my distant future kids to school systems that encourage American evangelical Protestant style instruction of young-Earth creationism. I don't have a problem with debating if the universe has a grand creator or not but anything that implies specific religious principles doesn't sit will with me.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:29 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,514,141 times
Zoness, STL isn't really big on evangelical Protestant styles of teaching. Neither is KC. Other parts of the state might be bigger on that, but I seriously doubt this bill is going to pass. I would be shocked if it did.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:44 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,441,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoness View Post
I've considered a move to the STL area but things like this make me super wary to send my distant future kids to school systems that encourage American evangelical Protestant style instruction of young-Earth creationism. I don't have a problem with debating if the universe has a grand creator or not but anything that implies specific religious principles doesn't sit will with me.
St. Louis is mostly Catholics, mainline Protestants, and "nones", who don't have any issue with evolution at all. Very different from the rest of evangelical rural Missouri.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:39 AM

7 posts, read 10,698 times
By having evolution taught, that is allowing a religion into the school systems. In my opinion atheists are practicing a religion. If the school systems really are to be "neutral" nothing about the "beginning" should be taught at all, that would be fair. Then parents can fill in the gaps as they please, by teaching(promoting) evolution they are also promoting atheist. Now if Genesis would be taught in school as the beginning, there would be an up rise over that, but not this. Doesn't make sense.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:36 PM

320 posts, read 554,522 times
"By having evolution taught, that is allowing a religion into the school systems. In my opinion atheists are practicing a religion. If the school systems really are to be "neutral" nothing about the "beginning" should be taught at all, that would be fair. Then parents can fill in the gaps as they please, by teaching(promoting) evolution they are also promoting atheist. Now if Genesis would be taught in school as the beginning, there would be an up rise over that, but not this. Doesn't make sense."

Wow. Evidence based scientific inquiry is now a religion? There are so many things wrong with this statement I don't even know where to begin - perhaps with the fact that I am not an athiest and I do not support the teaching of creationism in SCIENCE classes? I'm fine with teaching comparative religion and comparing and contrasting how different religious traditions deal with the beginning. But you don't call it science, because there is no intellectually honest way to do so. It's fundy-literalist nonsense like this that keeps dragging our state down, and I completely empathize with the poster above that doesn't want to taint their kids with the misrepresentation of these un-enlightened notions. Fortunately it isn't a St. Louis problem.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:04 PM

9,277 posts, read 7,790,449 times
Don't get me wrong I believe in life after death and reincarnation, astral projection, and the like, but it's certainly not something I would want taught in a school or pushed on other people at this point in our culture. Actually evolution goes right along hand in hand with my beliefs... the idea that as souls we can actually manipulate the evolutionary process on this planet from the spirit world in subtle ways over the billions of years this planet has been evolving... however... they should stick to the science in school, what can be proven with facts.. and not religious theories whether they have any merit or not. Who's to say what religion is the 'right' one to begin with?

I was taught science in eastern Wisconsin back in the late 90's and wouldn't have had it any other way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
View detailed profiles of: