Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

California: Hurricane Katrina, wildfire information, transplants, condo.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 10:16 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,449,094 times

Advertisements

An article from the Fox News website: FOXNews.com - More Than 350,000 Homes Evacuated in as Wildfires Bear Down on California - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

I was shocked to learn that the largest evacuation in California's history is taking place right now, and also that, as I write this, all the brave firefighters are essentially powerless to get the upper hand on these fires that are totally out of control. They are covering hundreds of miles and impacting major population centers in a way that looks to surpass Hurricane Katrina in their devastation.

Last year, Los Angeles received 3.21 inches of rainfall (7/1/06 through 6/30/07), the driest season in its recorded history. A severe thunderstorm in Missouri, by comparison, can dump that much rain in 4 to 6 hours. I am very thankful to tell you that here in Santa Rosa, about 400 miles north of the northernmost wildfires that are raging right now, we've received nearly 3 1/2 inches of rainfall dating back to July 1, most of which we've received during this month. Even with some more hot weather (our "Indian summer"), our fire season should be over with for the year.

Nobody knows just when all the wildfires will be put out. I am fearing that the loss of property and lives will surpass the losses sustained in Hurricane Katrina's wake. I am also fearing that our elected officials in California are not going to do much better than Louisiana's in trying to return things back to normal. The same may be true for our federal officials. There will probably be a lot of finger-pointing and blaming others for a long time after these fires get put out. A grim, sad situation all around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 11:21 PM

430 posts, read 1,263,619 times
On my knees Eric!

O.Nana

Old 10-23-2007, 11:34 PM

871 posts, read 1,984,414 times
Southern Cali is in need of prayer! Thanks Eric for this thread. I also feel that because of Katrina we are in a much better situation. Katrina taught us that we have to be prepared for the worst. I seen evacuees on the news at the stadium( here in Cali) and everything so far seems to be going smoothly. They have food and water. The National Gaurd is on stand by. They even have entertainment. Of course its still terrible to have to be there but when you feel your needs are bein met it makes it a little bit easier. This IS only observation but if you've seen pics of New Orleans compared to pics of So. Cal. I am pretty impressed with the way things are being handled.
Since Katrina I have been preparing for disasters. Making sure we have dry food put aside and that all important papers are in a safe fire proof box including pet records. Very important!! Katrina taught us a great deal!
As far as our officials Eric, this is going to be a big test for them. Lets hope they pass!

Old 10-24-2007, 06:23 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,894,022 times
I have sent my prayers...I have a co worker in that area that I am concerned about too.

It can't be fun to sit and wonder if the flames are going to head your way.

Take care...remember, possessions are replaceable, lives aren't!

Old 10-24-2007, 07:12 AM

2,896 posts, read 6,632,363 times
Thoughts and prayers for our CA friends!! I think many of us transplants have friends and family members that are affected by this terrible mess so it really hits close to home. My daughter and her roomies had to get out of their place when a fire flared up right next to their condo and her college will be shut down for a few days because of fears that the Arrowhead fire will come flying down the mountain. Fortunately the wind is supposed to really slow down today so hopefully the brave souls fighting these fires can put a big time hurt on them. Keep checking in CA folks so we know all is well with you.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:29 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,054,299 times
Took a break last night, caught part of 20/20 on ABC, where a house was totally burnt, with their car not too recognizable - lost all their possessions, besides a video camera. Yet, the father was able to recognize as he said that most by far important thing is that all of them survived, they are alive, healthy, and can hug each other. One of the 'make ya scratch your noggin and wonder' parts of it was how on the other three sides of their place, no other houses were hardly even touched... Anyhow, yes, thoughts and hopes are with the people, emergency responders [many who also while fighting/helping w/ these fires and situation have their own families/homes in the areas], critters, etc. that are experiencing these fires. With all that honestly said, being the goofy tree huggin fella I be , I also have it in my warped mind that as these fires are a natural-type occurrence, that humans need to be [like Bent mentioned and is ] more prepared, and to really think long and hard about where structures are built, how they are built, and so on, when in these areas. Sorry for the editorializing, just wanted to say such. Back on topic - thanks Eric for the thread, and know that many thoughts and hopes are with those in that situation. After the fires there ~4 years ago, was visiting relative in San Diego, and went into the mountains there... amazing...

For those interested in making any kind of contribution...
American Red Cross - Disaster Services Profile: Southern California Wildfires (http://www.redcross.org/news/ds/profiles/disaster_profile_CAWildfires.html - broken link)
and more info here too... California Wild Fires

ps: jammer, send best to you daughter and friends for us, 'k?

Old 10-24-2007, 09:34 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,894,022 times
I talked to my bud...his family got evacuated but the fire was north of him on a east to west track. They are going home this afternoon to check things out but he is sure that other than being smoky his place is OK.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:03 AM

871 posts, read 1,984,414 times
Glad to hear it Inox! Jammer, my prayers are with your daughter and friends in those mountains. Does she have somewhere to go? So far on the news I am hearing nothing but positive so the outlook is good.
Last night our moon was a deep red color. Reminded me of that scripture in the Bible Rev 6:12 " The sun turned black as sack cloth and the moon turned blood red"

Old 10-24-2007, 10:56 AM

2,896 posts, read 6,632,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentaxlecrew View Post
Glad to hear it Inox! Jammer, my prayers are with your daughter and friends in those mountains. Does she have somewhere to go? ....<snip>....
bent, she goes to Cal State San Berdoo and lives in a condo a mile or so from campus...Little Mountain just off the 215. The mountain lit up the day before yesterday so they all got e-vacted. I guess the college is worried about the fire up in Arrowhead roaring down the mountain and causing problems with the campus so they apparently shut er down for a few days. Daughter is hangin' with momma in Hemet for now.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:52 PM

526 posts, read 1,246,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
Thoughts and prayers for our CA friends!! I think many of us transplants have friends and family members that are affected by this terrible mess so it really hits close to home. My daughter and her roomies had to get out of their place when a fire flared up right next to their condo and her college will be shut down for a few days because of fears that the Arrowhead fire will come flying down the mountain. Fortunately the wind is supposed to really slow down today so hopefully the brave souls fighting these fires can put a big time hurt on them. Keep checking in CA folks so we know all is well with you.
Jammer, I also have family out there. A cousin and his daughter that live in Arrowhead were evacuated. No word on if their house is still standing or not. My sister has a cabin up there and a niece also lives in the area. We are praying for everyone out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
View detailed profiles of: