Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 03:24 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,231,128 times

Advertisements

Trying to keep up with the state next to you might not be so wise especially when you look at the finances of Kansas. Let's here some opinions. I have read that Ks has cut back mouch it takes 3 months for a person on MEDICAID to get an appointment to see a Psychiatrist. That is bad!

Missouri senator rolls out new tax overhaul proposal - St. Joseph News-Press and FOX 26 KNPN: Local News

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. — A new proposal intended to keep pace with tax-cutting Kansas would shave Missouri's income tax rates for rich and poor residents while also reducing taxes for businesses. But to partially offset the lost tax revenues, shoppers could be charged more at stores and online.

The revised legislation by Sen. Will Kraus was expected to debut for debate Wednesday in the Missouri Senate, where chamber leaders have pledged to try to bring a tax-cutting plan to a vote within the next couple weeks.

Kraus, R-Lee's Summit, is proposing to gradually reduce the state's income tax rate by 1 percentage point over five years while gradually increasing the state sales tax by one-half of a percentage point over that same period.

In addition to an overall income tax cut for individuals and businesses, the new plan would roughly double Missouri's current income tax deduction for people with adjusted gross incomes of less than $20,000 annually. The legislation also attempts to boost tax collections by tightening the requirements for when retailers must collect Missouri taxes and by joining a multi-state compact that collects taxes from online sales.

When the income tax cuts are partially offset by the sales tax increases, the net effect could be a more than a $600 million reduction in state tax revenues, according to estimates from Kraus' office.

Will this be next?

Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback, a Republican, has proposed generating state revenues by eliminating income tax deductions for the mortgage interest and property taxes paid by Kansas homeowners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 11:31 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,010,346 times
Default looks like this has passed the MO senate.....

Missouri lawmakers vote to roll back income taxes - Yahoo! News

Old 03-15-2013, 12:00 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times
It has passed the Senate.

For this retired political and legislative analyst I particularly "like" this quote: ""Missourians deserve the truth, and the truth is that SB 26 represents an affordable tax cut that will save every taxpayer money," Kraus said."

What it doesn't say is that this bill will cost both the poor and the elderly money because they likely don't owe income tax to begin with but their day-to-day shopping costs will rise.

The WHOLE truth would be refreshing, wouldn't it?

Old 03-17-2013, 09:59 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,404,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
It has passed the Senate.

For this retired political and legislative analyst I particularly "like" this quote: ""Missourians deserve the truth, and the truth is that SB 26 represents an affordable tax cut that will save every taxpayer money," Kraus said."

What it doesn't say is that this bill will cost both the poor and the elderly money because they likely don't owe income tax to begin with but their day-to-day shopping costs will rise.

The WHOLE truth would be refreshing, wouldn't it?
Yelp it would hurt me and my wife

brushrunner

Old 03-20-2013, 06:53 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,785,831 times
Wall Street often says that your portfolio should be diversified to help mitigate the risks of the market. Wouldn't the same concept apply to government revenue sources?

It seems to me that going to a sales/property tax only system is coming close to the old warning about putting all of your eggs in one basket.

I know I'm oversimplifying things a bit, but a three-legged stool (income/sales/property tax system) stands up better than a two-legged stool (sales/property tax system).

Old 03-26-2013, 05:17 PM

662 posts, read 1,227,454 times
I sure hope the income tax cut passes. I spent a couple of decades in Missouri and it is really home to me. I really do want to come back. I currently live in South Dakota as work took me there. There is a huge difference in taxes as SD has no state income tax and even the most populous county with a sixth of the entire state's population doesn't charge property taxes on anything except real estate (no property taxes on cars, farm animals, equipment, etc. like many MO counties do.) They have massive growth as a result, which is why I went up there and braved -20 temps to do so. I did the calculations on how much more I would have had to pay if I had stayed in MO and it was a couple months' paychecks. Missouri is an excellent state with a lot of good people and has some of the best varied topography, overall decent weather and culture I have ever seen- and I have lived in and been in a lot of the United States. We need to make a good argument as to why the classic "center of the nation" needs to be a great place to come and set up shop instead of letting the pancake-flat, cold as a well digger's butt Dakotas steal your thunder. There isn't oil in the Ozarks like there is oil in North Dakota but there isn't oil in South Dakota either. Yet 2 miles south of me is one of the counties in the top 10 for growth in the entire nation (Lincoln County, SD.) Missouri needs to step up to the plate and join the Great Plains and Southeast in lowering excessive taxes and lessening excessive regulations rather than join the decrepit and bankrupt coastal (including the "North Coast") states in continuing to punish economic success and economic activity.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:10 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,231,128 times
I am happy with our population levels. Why do we need more?

Old 03-27-2013, 08:47 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,763,682 times
Ironically, though, most of South Dakota's growth is attributed to federal government employment, particularly Ellsworth Air Force Base after it was one of the bases that survived the BRAC list. MPR: South Dakota's Ellsworth AFB to stay open

This recent study is very informative though:
Off the Charts Blog | Center on Budget and Policy Priorities | Big Cuts in State Income Taxes Aren

Basically, cutting taxes does not necessarily hurt a state, but it definitely does not help a state.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:28 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,460,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
A rep for you and, Hear! Hear! We moved to MO years ago to get out of population crush, urban sprawl, high traffic, high crime, polluted air, "popular," "progressive" state for a reason - actually several reasons - and have no desire to regress, thank you very much!

Old 03-27-2013, 06:04 PM

662 posts, read 1,227,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
There doesn't need to be a large population growth but the state needs to at least maintain its current levels. Else you end up like Iowa or Michigan and have a state with a shrinking, graying population and little economic activity. It's not fun to try to live in a dying area unless you are close to doing so yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri