U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 07:45 AM

339 posts, read 1,319,155 times

Advertisements

If you haven't been to Lexington, you should check it out. There are several civil war era homes that have been renovated. There is a lot of history in the town and beautiful countryside. It has also become an antique hunters' stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2006, 03:28 PM

53 posts, read 187,798 times
Smile Great video

Cool - I wish mine moved!

Old 10-10-2006, 01:23 PM

63 posts, read 196,296 times
I enjoyed the tour very much. Thank you.

Old 10-11-2006, 01:26 PM

5 posts, read 15,657 times
Default Moving to Parkville area

Thanks for sharing the pictures. We are actually moving to that area in the next month or so. My husband's job is relocating us from
WI. The pics help me look forward to the change.

Old 12-10-2006, 05:57 PM

4 posts, read 17,208 times
You would really like the Northeast Missouri area then if you are looking for "small town americana"

There are towns ranging in size from 300 people to 17,000

Namely the towns i have lived in, which have the feeling you are looking for include where i grew up (monroe city, mo) which is 20 miles from Hannibal, MO with 2,300 people. Palmyra, MO which is approximately about 2,200 people, and is approximately 10 miles from Hannibal, MO and then of course you have Hannibal, MO which is around 17,000 people, and offers the small town feel in some of the neighborhoods, but at the same time has a JcPenny, Goody's, Big Lots, Walmart Super Center, Walgreens, Steve and Barry's, and of course many fast food restaurants in the newer part of town...

In this area of missouri you can easily access the following: Mark Twain history (both where he was born, and where he grew up), Mark Twain Lake (a Corps of Engineers lake created by the Cannon Dam) and is around 18,000 acres of water, and is Northern Missouri's largest lake (25 miles from Hannibal, and around 15 from Monroe City) The Mississippi River, which runs along side Hannibal, MO. Also Northeast Missouri was home to many Civil War battles if you enjoy history, there are also many 120 year old homes in this area... they sell very reasonably, or if you prefer you can buy a newer home..

Here are some local links for you:

http://www.marktwainlake.com/

http://www.hanmo.com/

http://www.visithannibal.com/

ALSO: Northeast Missouri is anywhere from 3 hours to 1 1/2 hours from St. Louis, MO (Hannibal, MO is 2 hours)

If you need any help figuring out Missouri, just contact me via a personal message here on the board

Old 12-13-2006, 07:12 PM

19 posts, read 86,351 times
I've been to Macon, MO quite a few times. My parents were from there and we use to drive there from northeast Ohio for 2 weeks out of the year. It's about 60 miles north of Columbia, and has over 5,500. It has that small town feeling to it but it is big enough to have Walmart and the usual fast food places and hotels. There's a huge public swimming pool I still remember swimming in when I was a kid.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:45 PM

10 posts, read 58,134 times
Default I agree

I live in NE Missouri and am trying myself to get to Columbia area. Better access to other areas in the state, better healthcare, ect. Hannibal area is nice, need to be careful many small Missouri towns have a bad METH problem. Check out the schools and areas well.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:04 PM

9 posts, read 19,400 times
Very, very, very nice. Makes me more certain I want to leave the crime infested west for the farmlands of Americana, which I intend to do as soon as my house sells.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:08 PM

9 posts, read 19,400 times
Default Northern Mizzou images

Very, very, very nice. Makes me even more certain I want to leave the crime infested, illegal-immigration plagued West and move east into farmland Americana, which is exactly what I intend to do as soon as my house sells.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:34 PM

63 posts, read 156,494 times
You are right about derelict Missouri towns. Many of the small towns hardly exist anymore. The little village that I grew up in is nearly all gone. The store buildings and most of the homes. I told my husband I did not want to drive through there anymore, it just breaks my heart. All of the fine old people that used to live there are out in the cemetery. That is the only thing that has been kept up.
I live in a small county seat town and they do make an effort to keep up appearances. They have torn down several old derelict buildings, residential and commercial both.
We are also known for the tree planting project that we have. The city gives away trees in the spring for local residents to plant. But this town has nearly lost its business houses. Many have been torn down, and some of the brick ones have fallen down. These are hard times in Missouri.
Arundel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or