Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 05:29 AM

1 posts, read 4,558 times

Advertisements

Thinking of moving near Owensville,Mo.- need info on electric,satellite,trash,phone etc. companies that service that area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2006, 01:35 PM

67 posts, read 242,083 times
We used to live in the area of Owensville. actually Geral, MO before we moved to NM where we retired. We had a business in Owensville though. I love Missouri and I miss the state a whole bunch but I would never move to that area ever again. The whole of the Gasconade county and the western half of Franklin county are inbred rednecks who are all related to each other. They go to family reunions to get dates. Yeah, I know it is the funny thing to say but it is true. I actually love the redneck part but the inbred part of them is what makes them hard to be around. We sold our business and moved strictly because of the fact that the people in the area did not like our religion and they made it perfectly clear that they would burn our place down if we stayed living in the area. They don't like anyone who is different than they are, meaning that if one does not drink yourself into a stupor and beat up your spouse then you are different. Sorry that I ragged about the area but that is what it is like. We are in fact selling our place in NM to RV full time and hope to come back to Missouri to spend some time but it won't be in that area for sure. If you move to that area then be careful during hunting season because there has never been a year go by that I remember that someone didn't get killed by a "hunting accident". Sounds fishy I know but truth is stranger than fiction you will find.

GQ

Old 10-07-2006, 05:26 PM

I meant Gerald, MO and not Geral, MO.

GQ

Old 10-09-2006, 08:36 AM

339 posts, read 1,424,733 times
Deer hunting related accidental shootings are very rare throughout the State. There is not someone killed every year in Missouri, and certainly not in one area. I cannot comment on the area in general good or bad, but I can comment on the facts about deer hunting. Based on this negative exageration, I would take the authors other comments with a grain of salt.

Old 10-09-2006, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarks21 View Post
Deer hunting related accidental shootings are very rare throughout the State. There is not someone killed every year in Missouri, and certainly not in one area. I cannot comment on the area in general good or bad, but I can comment on the facts about deer hunting. Based on this negative exageration, I would take the authors other comments with a grain of salt.

yeah, yeah, I see we have another person who knows better than anyone else. You can think what you like but I know what I saw and who I knew. Guess what? Not every death is reported as an accidental hunting accident and one would be surprised what the coroner in a county will do and/or say when it comes to family or payoffs. It was no exaggeratrion at all and I don't appreciate being called a liar. I lived there and I know what I am talking about. In fact, hubby and I ended up in a hospital because we were stupid and tried to hep a woman who was being beat by her husband. It will never happen again, of that I can be sure. There is also a lot of drinking and driving too but since you would say that very few get arrested and convicted that it must means that I am lying about that also. The facts are that the people drink a lot in that particular area, like most rural areas but they are god-fearing Christians and will beat the hell out of you if you say anything different.

It is a beautiful area when it comes to nature. The people are great, if you don't get on their bad side. They don't like people who are if different religion, meaning that they don't take kindly to anyone that is not a Christian and goes to church a few times each week. Would I live in that area again? NO, hell no in fact. But I would have no qualms at all about moving back to Missouri the state and somewhere in the Ozarks area, just not in that particular area.

GQ

Old 10-10-2006, 10:52 AM

63 posts, read 212,522 times
I am saddened to see postings like this on this wonderful site. I also wonder what religion/church one could belong to that cranks out poeple with such negative attitudes. How sad.

Owensville is a lovely area. Like anywhere in the US, there is good and bad. For the most part, this is a wonderful, growing community. (They are not all inbred...sheesh.) Like any small town usa, there are long time families that were born and raised in the community and have stayed for many generations. It's called HOME and TRADITION. Not inbreeding. Maybe I should have kept out of this thread, but I could not let everying looking at this believe this pretty little town and community is so horrible. It's not. I would not hesitate to move there.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:05 AM

That is why they have more than one city in the country. I am glad that you like the area and I hope that you are able to move there, if that is what you want. Yes, a lot of them most certainly are inbred and it has nothing to do with tradition like you are saying. There are some dang fine people in the area but there are a whole lot of people like the ******* who are nothing but wife and child abusers and who are inbred. I know many of the families in the area and like I said, some of them are inbred and rednecks and very low on the education scale. Some are fine people but it is not fair to tell people only the good points of anything. When someone asks about a place then they should get the good, the bad, and the ugly and let them make up their own minds from the TRUTH.

And not one person said it wasn't pretty area either. It most definitely is. There is always the underbelly of anywhere in this country. I have lived in 36 different states, 4 different countries and around the world twice in my life so far. I tell the truth to people when they want to know about places and there is no place at all anywhere that is perfect, no matter what some may want to try and say.

GQ

Old 08-10-2007, 10:44 AM

48 posts, read 139,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicQueen View Post
That is why they have more than one city in the country. I am glad that you like the area and I hope that you are able to move there, if that is what you want. Yes, a lot of them most certainly are inbred and it has nothing to do with tradition like you are saying. There are some dang fine people in the area but there are a whole lot of people like the ******* who are nothing but wife and child abusers and who are inbred. I know many of the families in the area and like I said, some of them are inbred and rednecks and very low on the education scale. Some are fine people but it is not fair to tell people only the good points of anything. When someone asks about a place then they should get the good, the bad, and the ugly and let them make up their own minds from the TRUTH.

And not one person said it wasn't pretty area either. It most definitely is. There is always the underbelly of anywhere in this country. I have lived in 36 different states, 4 different countries and around the world twice in my life so far. I tell the truth to people when they want to know about places and there is no place at all anywhere that is perfect, no matter what some may want to try and say.

GQ
I know this is from a long time ago, but I can't let GQ get away with assaulting where I live, in case someone is curious about our town. My husband and I are both college graduates, and are not related to each other. He does not deer hunt, drink beer, or beat me up. We do go to church-and I happen to like that people value religion around here! People are friendly. It does get a little boring at times, but we aren't too far a drive from plenty of things to do. We are open to outsiders unless you are some kind of freak, then you are right, you will not be welcome here.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:32 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,573,872 times
Whoa there...I have lived in this area for 35 years, guess what? I am NOT blood related to anyone. The area near and around Owensville, Drake, Bem, Rosebud, AND Gerald, is in the beginnings of the beautiful Ozarks of our state.
Do not know who the GQ is nor do I have any idea of what business this person had here, nor how long ago they occupied space here.

My husband's family settled here in 1848 on his father's side and his maternal relatives came here from Illinois in 1911. Guess what, they were also not related! I cannot accept the posts by GQ. They are of extremely negative content, and I find it a personal affront on the intelligence of my many friends.

Perhaps this person's posts should be ignored and taken for what they are worth. Negative and hostile. The school system here is actually one of the best. The electric company that serves most of the area is Three Rivers Electric located in Linn, MO. We have experienced far less power outages in our present home than we ever did in St. Louis.

In the rural areas, you will find wells and septic systems and sometimes a lagoon. This is Gasconade County and the Rules and Regulations are not as strict as you would find in or near a large metropolitan area. I am not soliciting you as a client. I am, as you can see in the business of assisting others in the transfer of ownership of property.

We have Dish service and also have experienced better than average service. Living in a 'valley' somewhat, has caused a few problems during severe storms, otherwise, as I stated, good service. Trash hauling is provided by two different companies.

There are many churches within a 20 mile radius to serve your needs, if you desire religious guidance. There is, for the good or bad, a Super Wally World and many fine grocery stores. A few good restaurants are also within a limited radius.

Hardware and lumber stores, shoe stores, antique shops, banks, fuel stops, etc.are all in abundance around here. Some extremely intelligent, kind, considerate, and knowledgeable individuals are here to serve.

Perfect here? Of course not. No place can ever be called perfect. It is only within the eyes of the beholder, can that description ever be envisioned.

If this is the area that you are interested in calling home someday, check out the available homes on Realtor.com. There are homes in town and just outside of town on small to very large acreage. If you have friends already in the area, contact them to make inquiries concerning living conditions.

One other note, I do hope that you will take with a grain of salt the previous posting by a somewhat disgruntled individual. I will PM you soon.

Good luck to you.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:18 PM

1 posts, read 4,391 times
Default In responce to GQ

In response to what GQ had to say about the area I have a few things I would like to say. First of all I no longer live in the area because I became a father and moved to be where my children's mother was located to make everything there easier on both of us. It had absolutely nothing to do with the area. I moved to the area with my family when I was in the third grade and I got into trouble sometimes but when I was 12 or 13 there was a program formed in the Gerald area known as the Gerald Area Young Entrepreneurs and being in that program taught me alot of things about conducting myself in a professional manner and common business sense among many other things that I use to this day in my everyday life. I don't know anybody in the area that was inbred. Redneck but not inbred. Almost anywhere you go you will come across rednecks. You also can't seem to hide from jehova's witnesses or mormons. that doesn't mean everyone in the area is that way. Whether you live in a small rural town or in the big cities in this country there are men beating their wives and children everyday. It is very sad that this happens but it is not area specific and it is offensive that someone who won't say what their religion is or what business they owned in the area or how long they were in the area would assume to know everything about the area. I would like to ask them if they have ever been to a big city? They would , without a doubt , find many more bars and clubs and drinking there than they do in the Gerald, Owensville area. Though I dropped out of high school it is a very good school system and I would be proud to raise my children there and have them go to school there. I have met many people in the area from growing up there and going to school there and in my opinion it is an absolutely wonderful area that is growing more and more every day. As far as the "hunting accidents" They can be found all over the country. Something like that is caused from people that have no business using a gun because they are either not responsible enough or have not had the proper hunter safety classes or just don't have enough commen sense to own a gun. I know the post from GQ was quite some time ago but I felt I should put in what I have to say about the area. Even after everything that has been said by her if she were to go back to that area she would be greeted with a smile and a friendly hello because that is the type of people we are from that area. We are not a bunch of inbred rednecks but it is like a big family in that area due to the way everyone treats each other. I have gotten in touch with people that I didn't really talk to in school cuz we hung out with different people back then but we have talked and showed an interest in each others lives to catch up and see how things are going. We aren't the kind of community to wish someone ill will because they don't understand the way that we are. When we moved there when I was younger we were welcomed with open arms and friendly people wanting to meet the new family in town and show how great the community was. It was very easy to make friends if all you did was walk down the street youj would get a smile and a friendly hello and meet someone new if you didn't already know them. So I geuss I will say this in closing.
If you are planning on moving I would strongly reccomend the Owensville , Gerald area because it is a great community with a wonderful School system with great teachers who will go out of their way , above and beyond the call of duty to help your child learn what they are teaching and if for some reason they can't help then they will find someone who can. It is a loving helpful and friendly community and like I said before I would be proud to live there and have my children go to school there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri