U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2006, 09:26 AM

1 posts, read 3,131 times

Advertisements

My husband and I want to relocate to Missouri sometime within the next 1-2 years. we now live in a small community west of Salt Lake city, Utah. we would like to find a fairly decent sized community but not in a big city, but with all the big city ammenities. ie: shopping, other conveniences. we also have four kids who at the time of our possible moving would be in jr. high and in elementary school. so we need to know about good schools both public and private. we also would like some property for horses and off road vehicle riding. I would like to be in a neighborhood for the kid's sake, but not be able to touch my neighbors house next door. in other words I want some property between us. We have looked in Salem, and Jackson, and recently in Warrenton, and I was wondering if anyone has any info on that city. I would like to know if it would be a good place to raise kids ? also what the tornado activity is like there? and just some basic info on the city itself would be helpful. thanks for any information that anyone can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2006, 09:29 PM

63 posts, read 196,251 times
Default Warrenton Info

I work in Warrenton. I live about 20 miles from there. It is a nice town. Crime rate is low. Weather is like any other in Missouri...hot summers, cold winters. As far as tornados, no one ever knows where or when one of those will hit. We get plagued with a lot of warnings, but that's for safety sake. Rarely does one ever come to the ground and do real damage. Shopping: There are several grocery stores. There's a Super Walmart. There's an outlet shopping center. It's a short drive to Wentzville where you will find even more, like Home Depot and Kohl's. Warrenton is only an hour or less from all the St Louis shopping, and if you are a baseball fan, the Cardinals stadium. If you are a race fan, Gateway race track is just across the river in Illinois. You can see the arch from Gateway. (racing fan here!) The housing is growing by leaps and bounds in the Warrenton area. Out of town, I don't know what is available, but desired terrain is obtainable. If you want bottom land, it's here. If you want hills and trees, its here. If you want both, its here. As far as the schools, I can't tell you a lot about them. My children went in another district. I've not heard any serious complaints. Like most schools these days, they are crouded and have added portable classrooms. Unless it's a brand new school, there are added portable class rooms in most districts. Warrenton also has a non denominational church that has a wonderful youth program. Teens from many surrounding communities make the trek to Warrenton on Wednesday nights for the youth church. They have a game room there and tell the kids, come early if you want. They do.
I don't know where Jackson is, but I do know where Salem is. I use to live there when I was a teenager. (eons ago) I still drive back there just to take in the beauty of the area. My brother planted trees there when he was a boy scout back in the 60's. Last time I looked, the trees are still there. My brother died in 1970. One day I will go and the trees will be harvested and of course, i will cry. Then I will go away feeling proud that he helped make a part of my Missouri more beautiful for so many years. A family friend moved from Warrenton to the Salem area about 5 years ago. Last week I saw them in Warrenton. They are in the process of moving back. They hated it down there. Said there was nothing there for shopping....not even in Rolla.
Anyway....pick a place in Missouri! So there's my two cents worth.

Old 10-07-2006, 09:09 PM

3 posts, read 7,286 times
Default Utah to Mo.

My husband and I moved from Las Vegas 1 year ago and would never go back to the desert. I spent 20 years there and I came from the midwest and now Im back. The schools are good in Mo. outside of the main parts of the city. I live in a very small communit ouside of Liberty(to city like for me) and we have everything we need within a 20 min. travel , but the small community. The weather can be hot in the summer dont be blind about the fact it can and will get hot here as well but not for as long. Now the leaves are changing and it is truly beutiful in the fall unlike the desert. I also have four children that we relocated and they did very well, we joke about living in Hickville. Joy
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonman View Post
My husband and I want to relocate to Missouri sometime within the next 1-2 years. we now live in a small community west of Salt Lake city, Utah. we would like to find a fairly decent sized community but not in a big city, but with all the big city ammenities. ie: shopping, other conveniences. we also have four kids who at the time of our possible moving would be in jr. high and in elementary school. so we need to know about good schools both public and private. we also would like some property for horses and off road vehicle riding. I would like to be in a neighborhood for the kid's sake, but not be able to touch my neighbors house next door. in other words I want some property between us. We have looked in Salem, and Jackson, and recently in Warrenton, and I was wondering if anyone has any info on that city. I would like to know if it would be a good place to raise kids ? also what the tornado activity is like there? and just some basic info on the city itself would be helpful. thanks for any information that anyone can provide.

Old 11-02-2006, 01:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,117 times
hi we have lived here for 3 years now we moved from a big city you dont have the big stores but there is endless places to go to. schools are good the weather is not bad we have never had a tornado here sence i been here. if you live just right out of the town there are plenty of room to rise hores,cattle you are not on top of your neighbors so you have plenty of room. good luck on you sreach for a place to move been there done that many of times.

Old 11-12-2006, 07:28 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,001,855 times
My mother in law is selling her home in Warrenton - and my hubbys Aunt and Uncle live there now.

I have visited and its a nice place .. close to the highway and is growing.

Old 10-21-2007, 10:24 PM

8 posts, read 22,846 times
I live somewhat near Warrenton, but will be hopefully moving a bit further East in a few weeks. I'm not that fond of Warrenton or anywhere within a 5-10 mile radius of it, mainly because I don't particularly like rural or semi-rural areas. Otherwise it's probably fine for someone who likes that type of place.

Yes, Warrenton has grown but it's apparently slowing down for now. It still doesn't quite compare to some nearby towns; it lags behind in employment, recreation and shopping opportunities. If you don't like Wal-Mart or are tired of it, you still have to drive about 20 miles to the next actually decent grocery/discount store.

But if that is what you'd like (I realize some people like to be further away), Warrenton's got an outlet mall, a small cinema and a bigger one, several fast food places, two major chain restaurants, three car dealerships if I'm counting right. Haha. Also, a Walgreens is about to open soon.

Old 12-06-2007, 06:18 AM

32 posts, read 71,260 times
Default Was just wondering

Was wondering if you ever moved to MO yet, and if you like it? Thanks ks

Old 12-06-2007, 01:23 PM

32 posts, read 71,260 times
Default Moonman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasouders View Post
Was wondering if you ever moved to MO yet, and if you like it? Thanks ks
Was wondering if you like Mo and have moved there yet? If so what is it like? Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or