Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 10:05 PM

11 posts, read 74,151 times

Advertisements

I am considering going to school at University of Missouri-Rolla. I live in Oklahoma and was looking for personal opinions about that area, climate, topography, etc. Also any opinions on the university itself would be appreciated. Also if anyone has pictures that would be wonderful. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 10:00 AM

4,682 posts, read 11,998,980 times
Greetings - my degree is from there, did some research and lab TA'ing too. What field(s) are you interested in pursuing? School itself has a great reputation - even w/ the goofy upcoming name change A lot of good profs, students, staff, etc. are there. Its not UM-Columbia or SEMO or such though - smaller, more compact feeling, not a 'liberal' type college atmosphere. St Pats used to be the Holy Grail for the students as regards to parties, etc., but that has [sadly, IMHO] tapered down to a sanitized snoozefest . The library is very good, there has been a lot of new construction on and surrounding the campus - looking quite good [altho my favourite building will always be Norwood Hall - love them wood floors and that architecture style].

Topography - its in the upper section of the Ozarks, so will be some relatively flatter sections [mainly Easterly] mixed with some quite rolly/hilly parts [esp. SW direction]. Many springs, clear running streams, awesome colours in the spring and fall, quite a bit of wildlife. Good system of city, state, and national parks abound in the region. If you enjoy the outdoors, while getting a quality education, its quite good place to go to school. There are also a good variety of clubs and organizations that support various interests that many people join.

The town is pretty much equidistant from Springfield, St Louis, and Columbia about 1.5-2 hours to each - giving option to visit/play/sightsee/party/shop/sports in all three. And as mentioned above, within striking distance of many parks, springs, rivers, and geological neat and unique places.

Climate - you get humid, hot summers, and then chilly, windy winters. Not much snow to really speak of, more freezing rain, sleet, type of crud. Can be very dry to severe thunderstorms - interestingly, many storms follow I-44...

As with any city that has a large population of college life, there may be found at times some rivalry between locals and nons... but, honestly, some of my best friends are those that I were/are locals. Do not expect an exciting 'big-city' nightlife, there are the local watering holes, where anyone/all are welcome, but not much in the way of kicking up your heels during the week, for example. Summer time, as is to be expected, the place is quite a different feel/atmosphere than when school is in session - quieter, slower, etc.

Will post some photos later tonight... was just on campus couple Friday's ago, visiting some peoples. Oh, and the town is home to the bestest [thin crust variety] pizza in the country too... To get a feel for the school, might gander at the local student paper: http://www.missouri-miner.com/

Good luck.

ps: all the above is written by a hillbilly type person, and one with the mentality of a GDI - a person's perceptions and experiences if used to and/or desiring larger schools/cities and/or will be in a frat/sorority, for example, may most likely be different.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:47 PM

Thank you for your reply. I am planning on majoring in Mechanical Engineering. They look like a very good engineering school. The weather there sounds very similar to what we have in oklahoma. Not much snow, but icestorms. I am planning a visit in the next week or two and was just looking for some personal opinions of the place. Any others would be appreciated.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:09 PM

4,682 posts, read 11,998,980 times
As promised a few photos...

Old 11-01-2007, 10:32 PM

Wow, those are nice pictures. The campus is much nicer than I expected. What are the dorms like? The food? Both of those things I have read aren't very good. At least thats what the princeton review said. Saying that the dorms are like dungeons.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:13 PM
HDM

41 posts, read 110,626 times
I graduated from there 15 or so years ago and my father graduated from there 35+ years ago. Good university, though the current chancellor has lied his way to changing the name of the school, much to my chagrin. Too bad...I'm a UMR alumni and no check to a school without that name will be given out when the alumni association comes calling.

Anyway, it's a good school. Small-town life might get to you but it's a great place for an engineering education. I've considered settling down there later in life and teaching at the university.

PM or e-mail me and we can talk.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:19 PM

6 posts, read 23,944 times
I'm a student over at UMR (soon to be the horribly unpopular Missouri S&T), and I very much like the college and area. However, I will say the reviews about the dorms and food are spot on. Dorms are bad (the new Res. College is too expensive to make it worth it), and the food is worse. However, the campus is very nice and very well maintained. The education is one of the best values around. One of the best places you can go for your undergraduate degree. If you have any specific questions, let me know. I'll be happy to answer them.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:03 AM

3 posts, read 12,371 times
I live 10 miles from Rolla, Mo. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the trees and wildlife, but if you need to shop anywhere other than Walmart and eat anywhere other than Mcdonalds, you will be out of luck. Rolla is set in its ways and they don't like change. There are very few restaurants, Walmart is the big giant. No Target, no mall, no Barnes & Noble, no Whole Foods, no starbucks...the list goes on. I may get bashed for enjoying some of these places, but that's ok. Some people are completely fine without these amenities. If you don't mind that, topped with a very conservative attitude, you're good to go. The college itself is great!

Old 03-13-2008, 12:32 PM

419 posts, read 1,175,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoboysnmygirl View Post
I live 10 miles from Rolla, Mo. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the trees and wildlife, but if you need to shop anywhere other than Walmart and eat anywhere other than Mcdonalds, you will be out of luck. Rolla is set in its ways and they don't like change. There are very few restaurants, Walmart is the big giant. No Target, no mall, no Barnes & Noble, no Whole Foods, no starbucks...the list goes on. I may get bashed for enjoying some of these places, but that's ok. Some people are completely fine without these amenities. If you don't mind that, topped with a very conservative attitude, you're good to go. The college itself is great!
You surely knew these stores weren't in the area when you moved. Why did you move there if this is so important to you?

Old 10-08-2008, 09:40 PM

2 posts, read 8,385 times
Rolla is a tough place to move to if you want your kids involved in sports. If you want them to just have basic exposure to sports and play recreationally for life, there are some programs along those lines that are available. However, if you child ends up enjoying a sport, wants to learn more and eventually play more competitively, that is a different story here.
There are so many politics in youth sports at even the young age levels here in Rolla, that it is virtually impossible to get your kid truly involved. Kids are pegged at the age of 6-7 whether they are "good" or not and then "selected" to be on so called "competitive" teams. The other teams or "free" sports are mocked and made fun of by the so called "athletes", and their parents. Supposedly, at these young ages, coaches already decide who will be playing on the highschool teams. The coaches are usually the parents, or friends of the parents who have the money to travel. They are also usually from here, or friends with those who are. Yes, these players do become good at the sports, but that is because they are the only ones really playing and learning and given chances.
If you plan on moving here from another area and your child is a little older, don't plan on them playing competitively in high school or other, unless they are soo over the top good that it would be way to obvious and the coaches would have to let them in, otherwise, the teams have been the same since 2nd grade and don't change much.
Sports are always competitive and there are always some politics involved everywhere, but just be informed that because Rolla is a smaller town and there are fewer spots available, (mixed with the fact that there is nothing else to do) that if you are moving here with a desire for your kids to be in sports, unless you know someone who can get them onto a "competitive" team, they will just play for recreation and fun with out much practice and so so coaching, which here is Rolla translates to no future in the sport on a JH or HS level. If you have older children, again, it will be tough to break in.
If you are coming here temporarily, and your children won't be here for their highschool years, then it won't matter so much to you.
This may make some people angry - not meant to be for that purpose, just info. for people who this may affect a decision to come here. Had I known this, I would not have come here. Everyone here already knows this is true, no one talks about it because of gossip repercussions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri