U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2013, 02:22 PM

10,189 posts, read 8,996,003 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are exploring the possibility of retiring in the St. Louis area. We are specifically looking for a town within an hour of St. Louis, but outside the more built up suburbs, and would prefer the southern side. Now we've moved around the country some, and some rural areas are downright hostile to new folks who move in. I've detected some of that even in this forum. In North Carolina, my wife actually heard with her own ears. "There's two kind of Yankees. The good ones leave, the bad ones stay." That wasn't all we heard or saw but it was enough. (We left as soon as we could) So we've been looking at Eureka, St. Clair, Farmington. Can anyone recommend or discourage us from moving to one of these towns/areas? We don't want to be where we are not welcome. We're also not the bossy type, that think our way is the better way. We've really enjoyed Texas, but the heat gets to us sometimes. We're originally from Wis. so we are used to and prefer the Midwest, but Wisconsin winters last too long for us.

Any help would be appreciated.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 09:17 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,680,406 times
Looks like you are getting no help...

I'll vote for Eureka and then Farmington. Eureka is close enough to St. Louis to make is easy to get downtown STL
or to other events/shopping/hospitals. It's small enough to have a rural feel and it has an amazing "Old Town" district with food and drink opportunities. Once a month during the summer they block off mainstreet and have a live band with vendors selling food/drink in the streets. Lots of trails and parks too. Don't be afraid to get off the interstate in your search. I've seen some really nice small farm type locations up for sale recently. PM me if you want more info.

Farmington is a nice town too but I don't know much about it other than I pass thru a lot and it's always busy and has
a nice downtown. It's definitely a farm town and I have relatives who like living there.

Old 05-31-2013, 09:23 AM

535 posts, read 899,368 times
The southwest areas of St. Louis are very very beautiful with the hills along I-44. Eureka is a good choice. I might also suggest Washington MO. A very lovely river city not much more than an hour out of St. Louis. It is larger than Eureka, and has just a little more commercial activities so you wouldn't have to drive as far for day to day needs.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:35 AM

5,881 posts, read 11,674,884 times
Innsbrook Resort | Explore Our Communities
Lake St. Louis Community Association - Home

Both are friendly to transplants.
Lake Saint Louis was rated as both a top place to live and a top place to retire

Old 05-31-2013, 08:24 PM

37 posts, read 74,964 times
Yes. They dont like yankees in the south (to put it really nice). Southern hospitality extends only to fellow southerner, certainly not to yankees. Your best bet is to live in the midwest or perhaps in the west.

Last edited by TRoweP; 05-31-2013 at 09:10 PM..

Old 05-31-2013, 08:38 PM

363 posts, read 674,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCityMike View Post
The southwest areas of St. Louis are very very beautiful with the hills along I-44. Eureka is a good choice. I might also suggest Washington MO. A very lovely river city not much more than an hour out of St. Louis. It is larger than Eureka, and has just a little more commercial activities so you wouldn't have to drive as far for day to day needs.
I have family nearby and it's a good choice. Highway 100 is at exit 250 on I-44. It's a small town feel with all the usual shopping, schooling and job possibilities any family would enjoy. It's on the bank of the Missouri river. Enough anti-flooding measures have been taken so there isn't a need to have a low deductible on your homeowner's policy.

Old 06-04-2013, 04:47 PM

662 posts, read 1,074,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCityMike View Post
If the OP is from Wisconsin and puts "rural" and "St. Louis" together in the same sentence, a place like Washington or Eureka would be much more up their alley than an actually rural area roughly an hour away from St. Louis. Washington has the quaint downtown and big stretch of stores along Highway 100 that people from larger cities who are looking to live "out in the country" would want. Eureka is a suburb of St. Louis and would likewise do well with a former city dweller who wants to get a little bit out of the city. I would not recommend St. Clair as it is much more of a rural small town with much less money, fewer "city people" and less shopping than Washington or Eureka. Somebody from urban Wisconsin would be much less likely to feel at home.

The area you are looking at isn't actually Southern. It was settled mainly by the same German immigrants that settled much of Wisconsin. People say "soda", "boat," and "roof" rather than "pop," "booooat," and "ruf" but that's just because WI has the Meeneesoootan Scandinavian vowel drag, not because east central MO is southern by any means. Nebraska and Iowa largely don't have the ND/SD/WI/MN vowel drag either but they aren't Southern by any means, either. You have to go at least a couple hours further south down I-55 to get to anything bordering on being Southern.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:54 PM

260 posts, read 522,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyover_Country View Post
If the OP is from Wisconsin and puts "rural" and "St. Louis" together in the same sentence, a place like Washington or Eureka would be much more up their alley than an actually rural area roughly an hour away from St. Louis. Washington has the quaint downtown and big stretch of stores along Highway 100 that people from larger cities who are looking to live "out in the country" would want. Eureka is a suburb of St. Louis and would likewise do well with a former city dweller who wants to get a little bit out of the city. I would not recommend St. Clair as it is much more of a rural small town with much less money, fewer "city people" and less shopping than Washington or Eureka. Somebody from urban Wisconsin would be much less likely to feel at home.

The area you are looking at isn't actually Southern. It was settled mainly by the same German immigrants that settled much of Wisconsin. People say "soda", "boat," and "roof" rather than "pop," "booooat," and "ruf" but that's just because WI has the Meeneesoootan Scandinavian vowel drag, not because east central MO is southern by any means. Nebraska and Iowa largely don't have the ND/SD/WI/MN vowel drag either but they aren't Southern by any means, either. You have to go at least a couple hours further south down I-55 to get to anything bordering on being Southern.
About 90 miles. Jackson Missouri in central cape Girardeau county is a southern town more so than Cape is even. Perry, and Ste Gen county are Midwestern. If you go on I44 SW ward when you leave Stl county the slow transition from Midwestern, to southern begins and seems to really pickup more once you get passed Rolla, and just south of Springfield it's Dixie.

South of Stl St. Francois county does also have some transition elements too and is not fully Midwestern and in that transition zone.

St. Louis is in the Lower Midwest.

And the little Dixie area of central Missouri by the MO River also has some southern charactersitics as well. As Stlouisan has put it it's about 40 percent southern, 60 percent Midwestern.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:12 AM

215 posts, read 667,730 times
I grew up near Bloomsdale, MO in northern Ste. Genevieve county, and in my particular neighborhood (off of OO Road), we were very welcoming of newcomers. My best friend growing up was from Wisconsin, and no one treated him or his family like outsiders. It is about 45 to 50 miles south of downtown St. Louis. Take a look and see what you think!

Old 06-08-2013, 02:51 AM

3,046 posts, read 5,578,843 times
If you want to be in city limits, Union is a nice town. If outside city limits, a great choice would be Villa Ridge or Gray Summit. Good working people in those areas.
I wouldn't recommend St. Clair. City leadership is doing all they can to get rid of the 1 asset they have, the airport. They want to make it a shopping center instead of promoting an asset they have, the idiots want empty store fronts. While I am not in St. Clair city limits, I am over the hill from the airport. Thankfully I have a Union address ! Across the road is St. Clair address. Really, my neighbor the other side of my road is a St Clair address. We even share the same Mailbox support.

Villa Ridge has Heritage Estates and Apple Valley subdivisions that have nice lot size (from 3/4 to 3 acres), Bridgewater which has a man made lake, plus Guffy's store. Best meat cut sandwiches around in my opinion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri