Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2013, 10:51 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,097,146 times

Advertisements

Could not believe my eyes today. Driving over the Chain of Rocks Bridge on I-270 today was a scary, scary sight....Chouteau island is flooding. Also on my way back to Jefferson City along U.S. 54 couldn't help but notice that all around the highway was water. This is scary stuff folks! I may be taking U.S. 50 to get home this week instead of U.S. 54 to I-70. Please feel free to comment and elaborate on your observations. I know this isn't the 1993 flooding, but it's always scary nonetheless!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 08:01 PM

978 posts, read 2,054,242 times
I hated the drought last summer, but this constant rain is almost as annoying.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:43 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
I went to southern IL last this past weekend and was amazed at all the new "lakes" that have sprung up. I'll stick to the main highway for awhile but even some of those were flooded back in '93. I've noticed that there is a lot of new building over by the MO river on 40/64 in that same area that was flooded 20 years ago and I can't even believe that they can get insurance--I'm talking about malls and other types of businesses.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:29 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
Stepka- crazy isn't it? A lot of St. Charles County has since been built out since the '93 floods also (in areas that were under water during that flood). It really makes you wonder where people's sensibilities lie!

Old 06-08-2013, 01:59 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,288,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I went to southern IL last this past weekend and was amazed at all the new "lakes" that have sprung up. I'll stick to the main highway for awhile but even some of those were flooded back in '93. I've noticed that there is a lot of new building over by the MO river on 40/64 in that same area that was flooded 20 years ago and I can't even believe that they can get insurance--I'm talking about malls and other types of businesses.

I liked Chesterfield Airport road a lot better when it was Rombachs Pumpkin farm and cornfields and we could go out and line 'em up and get a few races in ! Now Rombachs was bought out by another shopping center developer that is in a race to get done first vs the one on north side of I-64/hwy 40, another shopping center is being built!!! And after all the bellyaching/crying the bicyclist did to get katy trail instead of the property going to the rightful owners, they still ride 4-5 wide in Gumbo bottoms in the way of traffic. That levy ever breaks, there will be billions of $ lost now.

Old 06-08-2013, 02:01 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,288,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
Stepka- crazy isn't it? A lot of St. Charles County has since been built out since the '93 floods also (in areas that were under water during that flood). It really makes you wonder where people's sensibilities lie!

I had not been north of St Charles in years until 3 weeks ago, and thinking of the past floods, was shocked at the idiot subdivisions in the flood plains!

Old 06-09-2013, 11:38 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
The recent floods were the worst in Illinois in 70 years. Illinois is blesses (or cursed) with many rivers, streams and small lakes. As far as I know they all left the banks from the Wisconsin border to the southern most borders. It was bad enough to move most wildlife to higher ground. Rivers began to recede about the time the rains began again. There was a second flood that was minor. Rain is forcast for two of the next three days as the corn is starting to emerge and some of the smaller rivers are back in the banks.

Old 06-09-2013, 11:48 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,768,085 times
The crest at St Louis ended up being the highest of the 21st century, the 2nd highest since 1993 (1995 was barely higher), and the 6th highest on record. Records there go back to the 18th century.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:00 PM

13 posts, read 12,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The recent floods were the worst in Illinois in 70 years. Illinois is blesses (or cursed) with many rivers, streams and small lakes. As far as I know they all left the banks from the Wisconsin border to the southern most borders. It was bad enough to move most wildlife to higher ground. Rivers began to recede about the time the rains began again. There was a second flood that was minor. Rain is forcast for two of the next three days as the corn is starting to emerge and some of the smaller rivers are back in the banks.
Last I heard, the Missouri River at Jefferson City is back in its banks, and the Missouri and Mississippi are in the process of retreating at St. Louis and Alton. Above the Ohio River, things are finally starting to look better on the Mississippi. Flooding in the Midwest is hopefully at an end...Missouri, Illinois, and Iowa could use a break.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:36 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
I agree; we can use a break. It just rained. The suns been out for an hour. Now the clouds are gathering for another go at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhts View Post
Last I heard, the Missouri River at Jefferson City is back in its banks, and the Missouri and Mississippi are in the process of retreating at St. Louis and Alton. Above the Ohio River, things are finally starting to look better on the Mississippi. Flooding in the Midwest is hopefully at an end...Missouri, Illinois, and Iowa could use a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri