Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2013, 03:46 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times

Advertisements

I've watched a few episodes of God, Guns, and Automobiles, and I almost never see the cast members remove their hats when they're indoors. Why is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 05:19 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,561,578 times
I've never seen that show, but I'll tell you what I do and why my fellow rednecks do regarding hats.
I generally wear a ballcap of some sort; every now and again I'll wear a hat. I take it off for church, funerals, or when I go visit someone in their home.
If I take my wife out to eat, I'll take it off in the restaurant. if I go to eat at Waffle House or Tater Patch or some other casual place by myself or with buddies, I leave my hat on.
I take my hat off for prayer and the pledge of allegiance at Rolla City Council meetings and generally don't put it back on. I take my hat off when I attend school board meetings and other civic meetings.
If I go inside an auction barn, I leave my hat on.
When I go to any store to shop, and I usually only go to the grocery store, the hardware store, the farm and home store, I take my hat off.
Also, I take my hat off in the doctor's office.
Generally speaking, other men I know do the same.
There's no rhyme or reason to it.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:33 PM

914 posts, read 2,204,734 times
I look better with a hat on. Actually, I look better with a sack over my head.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:29 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I've watched a few episodes of God, Guns, and Automobiles, and I almost never see the cast members remove their hats when they're indoors. Why is that?
I would say since they are inside a decent amount on the show, they probably leave them on specifically for the show.

For those of you who do not know, this show is about a vehicle dealership in Butler, Missouri.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:05 PM

70 posts, read 120,317 times
That seems fairly universal nowadays. I live in Florida right now and you see men eating in restaurants with baseball caps, cowboy hats, etc all the time. I think the notion of removing your hat indoors is just becoming old-fashioned.

Old 07-24-2013, 02:29 PM

978 posts, read 2,052,789 times
I don't see a problem with wearing a hat in Walmart or other non-formal place. However, if I'm eating at a nice restaurant, the hat comes off.

Old 07-24-2013, 03:36 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,649,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon0524 View Post
That seems fairly universal nowadays. I live in Florida right now and you see men eating in restaurants with baseball caps, cowboy hats, etc all the time. I think the notion of removing your hat indoors is just becoming old-fashioned.
That saddens me -- I hate to see good old fashioned etiquette and respect being shunned, especially when there's nothing to be gained by leaving your hat on unless its raining and the roof above you is leaking.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:01 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
I rarely wear a hat and absolutely cannot be comfortable indoors with one on my head. Although she's been gone for 24 years, I can still see what would be my mother's disapproving glare were I to wear a hat indoors unless still in the military and under arms.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:14 PM

16 posts, read 15,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon0524 View Post
Seems to me, wearing at hat at all seems old-fashioned. Can't stand 'em myself, unless the sun is scortch/ing. Blocks the breeze from getting to my brain-pan. One good thing about hats, though. It feels GREAT when you take it off!!!!!

Old 07-27-2013, 07:36 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,405,107 times
If it's not on my Head I would forget it

brushrunner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri