Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 09:51 PM

50 posts, read 112,779 times

Advertisements

I don't know if anyone have noticed this but Missouri (MO) has always been in the middle of the pack among 50 states in most categories.

MO hasn't really improve its rankings among all 50 states when it comes to the quality of life, economy, education, and population growth. It remains steady.

Why is MO growing very slowly? Is the state economy still stagnant?

How come people are not attracted to MO compared to other Midwestern states such as Indiana, Minnesota, Nebraska, & the Dakotas?

Pros of living in MO are low cost of living and low taxes and the roads are improving slowly.

MO has the most lenient alcohol and smoking laws with very low taxes and no smoking ban. Cigarette taxes should be increased to address the issue that MO has one of the highest smoking rates in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 09:05 AM

302 posts, read 497,961 times
For me, I found a lot of rude and uncaring people. They were "all about me" and didn't not want to do anything that would better the things around them. Eight times out of ten, they would vote down anything to upgrade or anything. State taxes were being raised all the time. Lot of companies shut down or cut shifts big time. Schools did not seems to care about education and would hire sub-standard educators. Lots of other issues, but I don't want to delve into the politics at all.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:34 AM

186 posts, read 464,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalARMO View Post
I don't know if anyone have noticed this but Missouri (MO) has always been in the middle of the pack among 50 states in most categories.

MO hasn't really improve its rankings among all 50 states when it comes to the quality of life, economy, education, and population growth. It remains steady.

Why is MO growing very slowly? Is the state economy still stagnant?

How come people are not attracted to MO compared to other Midwestern states such as Indiana, Minnesota, Nebraska, & the Dakotas?

Pros of living in MO are low cost of living and low taxes and the roads are improving slowly.

MO has the most lenient alcohol and smoking laws with very low taxes and no smoking ban. Cigarette taxes should be increased to address the issue that MO has one of the highest smoking rates in the country.
I'm not sure where you are getting the "no smoking ban" thing. Maybe MO as a state doesn't ban smoking, but many towns and cities do. Springfield and St Louis both do not allow smoking at public establishments within city limits.....not sure about KC (since I don't visit there).

I would also say that there is nothing wrong with remaining steady, considering. At least MO is not stagnating and dropping in the rankings.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:21 AM

320 posts, read 608,195 times
I'll add there seems to be a weak work ethic - I don't mean unemployed people - but there aren't very many people here with much hustle or vision. No concept of working together for a common future. Endless squabbling. Too few colleges and universities. Oh, and all the meth, plus the near absence of gun laws. None of those things make employers or employees flock here, despite the low taxes. The state has a major image problem.

And for what it's worth, MO has slipped seven places in average income in the past decade.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:49 PM

978 posts, read 2,043,350 times
I wouldn't say people are attracted to Nebraska, or the Dakotas either. Most people from the East Coast don't even realize that people have running water (I'm joking, but half-way serious). People do recognize Missouri as a place with running water, but it's often associated with rednecks or meth labs.

Indiana and Illinois are more popular partly because they are closer to more popular states. In reality, more and more people are moving away from Illinois and Indiana.

I lived in NC for a long time (one of the most popular states for transplants). I'm much happier in MO. Pay is about the same, taxes are lower, and the unemployment rate is lower. I had a lot of trouble finding a job in NC, but had several offers from jobs in MO.

One thing I did notice is the amount of smokers here. NC is a major producer of tobacco, but I noticed that there are a TON of smokers in MO. Everywhere I go, I always get a whiff of smoke.

Old 08-03-2013, 02:38 PM

26,392 posts, read 46,294,625 times
Missouri is certainly not middle of the pack as it is a big net recipient state of federal dollars.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 08-03-2013 at 04:55 PM..

Old 08-03-2013, 03:25 PM

260 posts, read 583,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLviaMSP View Post
I'll add there seems to be a weak work ethic - I don't mean unemployed people - but there aren't very many people here with much hustle or vision. No concept of working together for a common future. Endless squabbling. Too few colleges and universities. Oh, and all the meth, plus the near absence of gun laws. None of those things make employers or employees flock here, despite the low taxes. The state has a major image problem.

And for what it's worth, MO has slipped seven places in average income in the past decade.
It sounds like you're trying to twist it to make Missouri sound like a bunch of hicks again and to degrade southern culture since you always try and tie outstate Missouri to that.

We need less gun laws.

Missouri's gun laws are very similar to Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Oklahoma. KS, HE, IA gun laws are more restrictive although Kansas laws have become better since they're leaning more right lately.

It seems people from the big cities from the east and west coast paint Missouri as hicks, bible thumpers, rednecks, meth heads, and KKK lovers. I'd much rather live in a state like Arkansas, Mississippi or Missouri than a IL, NY, CA etc that have terrible gun laws and bunch of liberals ruining things.

I agree the pace might be slower. I had a teacher for a couple classes from Iowa and mentions Missouri and how the pace in Missouri he says is a lot slower in Missouri he notices and also says Missouri feels like bible belt while Iowa doesn't.

Here are some examples of outstate far southern MO. I don't consider that billboard racist in West Plains.

Racist Barack Obama Billboard on Display South of West Plains, Missouri | The Hinterland Gazette | The Hinterland Gazette

this one is in southern MO too around Lebanon on I44 I passed by and saw driving on vacation. See outstate isn't racist.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/wp-c...3056228266.jpg

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012...ound-missouri/

Old 08-03-2013, 04:55 PM

320 posts, read 608,195 times
^Statewide, buddy. Get off your soapbox. This thread has nothing to do with the south.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:09 PM

213 posts, read 320,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoSouthernMan View Post
It sounds like you're trying to twist it to make Missouri sound like a bunch of hicks again and to degrade southern culture since you always try and tie outstate Missouri to that.

We need less gun laws.

Missouri's gun laws are very similar to Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Oklahoma. KS, HE, IA gun laws are more restrictive although Kansas laws have become better since they're leaning more right lately.

It seems people from the big cities from the east and west coast paint Missouri as hicks, bible thumpers, rednecks, meth heads, and KKK lovers. I'd much rather live in a state like Arkansas, Mississippi or Missouri than a IL, NY, CA etc that have terrible gun laws and bunch of liberals ruining things.

I agree the pace might be slower. I had a teacher for a couple classes from Iowa and mentions Missouri and how the pace in Missouri he says is a lot slower in Missouri he notices and also says Missouri feels like bible belt while Iowa doesn't.

Here are some examples of outstate far southern MO. I don't consider that billboard racist in West Plains.

Racist Barack Obama Billboard on Display South of West Plains, Missouri | The Hinterland Gazette | The Hinterland Gazette

this one is in southern MO too around Lebanon on I44 I passed by and saw driving on vacation. See outstate isn't racist.

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/wp-c...3056228266.jpg

Latest Polls Show Obama & Lapdog McCaskill Getting Trounced in “Battleground” Missouri | The Gateway Pundit
Missouri is still a Midwest state. And it is very Bible-Belt influenced, that is true. However, its two major cities are most certainly not Bible Belt. And what if our gun laws are like our neighbors to the South? We're still not a Southern state, so stop trying to make us one.

Old 08-03-2013, 06:12 PM

213 posts, read 320,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLviaMSP View Post
^Statewide, buddy. Get off your soapbox. This thread has nothing to do with the south.
You seriously need to get a grip dude, or miss. Southerners are not bad people, and Southern culture isn't a bad thing. Missouri indeed has parts of the state that are Southern, but it is not a Southern state. It leans more Midwest. I hope this makes you feel more secure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri