U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 08:39 PM

137 posts, read 570,797 times

Advertisements

It would appear that a non-resident permit is honored as info pointing to that conclusion has been found on multiple sites. The most verified being packing.org

funny thing is Missouri honors a non-resident permit from my own state! so how do I get one while still a resident??? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 09:00 AM

Update and a question; I have determined that a resident ccw permit becomes null and void the day you acquire a drivers license/id from another state. I spoke with the Indiana state police today on the phone. Also it seems that some states who offer non-resident permits have qualifiers such as work related requirements for handgun uses as is the case with Indiana non-resident permit. It does not appear that the state of Missouri offers a non-resident permit. While I have found a state non-resident permit that is honored by Missouri, I still need to find out what the state of Missouri considers adequate training to apply for a Missouri handgun permit.

the search continues...

Old 03-15-2007, 09:10 AM

Update. After speaking with the Sherrifs dept in the county where we will reside in Missouri, I was inform about a "compact state" list. Does anyone know how to find such a list of states? Meanwhile I will continue to search for the answer because if your state is a "compact" state then certain requirements are waived for obtaining a Missouri Permit to carry

Old 03-16-2007, 08:20 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,139,075 times
I just moved here from California and I could be wrong but didn't the state of MO just recently pass the concealed carry law....like within the last couple of years? I know it got shot down (no pun intended) several times before it finally passed.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:43 AM

339 posts, read 1,318,930 times
You are correct. Concealed carry is the law here now.

Old 03-24-2007, 01:03 AM

1 posts, read 14,156 times
Default Where to start ...

I find it difficult to even figure out where to start...

I'll focus only on concealed carry as I believe all other questions have been addressed (no gun registration, there is currently a Permit to Acquire required for handgun purchases but that law might change in the coming months). Missouri's concealed carry law is fairly recent - something like 2004. The legal references you seek regarding Missouri's concealed carry requirements reside in Missouri Revised Statute 571 found at http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/chapters/chap571.htm Both 571 and 563 (justification of force - http://www.moga.mo.gov/statutes/chapters/chap563.htm) are required as part of obtaining a (resident) Missouri CCW endorsement as detailed in 571.

Regarding concealed carry, there is no "Compact State" list. Either the sheriff is misinformed, spewing BS, or maybe you misunderstood. There is a list of states which accept Missouri CCW endorsements (found at http://www.ago.mo.gov/Concealed-Weap...y-Missouri.htm) but this is generally referred to as Reciprocity and that is more for after you have your MO stuff taken care of.

As far as non-resident permits, most people I've seen talk about it usually go with something like Florida or Utah. I believe these permits are either easy to get out-of-state, and/or cheap(er). Looking into these permits will probably provide a nice CCW 'bridge' while you wait 6 months for your resident MO CCW. Alternatively, you could ask your state if they would transfer your in-state CCW to an out-of-state CCW once you've moved (but that might create more room for 'error').

Another point to consider would be the fact that you can maintain a concealable firearm within the passenger compartment of your vehicle with no CCW as long as you can own the firearm, etc., etc. In other words, even if you move to MO and can't get CCW things taken care of, you can still have some level of protection above and beyond what many people realize (or maintain).

If you'd like to discuss MO CCW issues further (especially with more knowledgeable people than you might find randomly wandering the internet), you might consider signing on to the forums at MissouriCarry.com http://www.missouricarry.com/forums/index.php

Oh, and there isn't any shortcut provision or waiving of requirements for MO CCW (at least according to MRS 571). Each CCW holder must go through a MO course (generally taught in their home county) which includes a classroom portion along with a live fire test. That's referenced specifically in section 571.111.

Hope this helps clear things up for you. Good luck with everything!

Old 03-24-2007, 09:05 AM

20 posts, read 90,086 times
Howdy Indy
Here's a link to the House Bill enacted in Missouri for conceal and carry. http://www.house.mo.gov/bills03/biltxt/truly/HB0349T.HTM (broken link) (oops,not a link, just type in the address)
Local municipalities may have additional laws you may have to check into but as far as the state is concerned, this is what we adhere to. When reading this, make sure to check the subsections and take note of the exemptions allowed for conceal and carry permits, otherwise it may look like you can't carry a gun anywhere.
As far as transferability of your out of state permit, I didn't look closely enough to see if that was allowed. Another resource is the ATF. They may be helpful in answering a lot of your questions. The number for the Kansas City office is (816) 559-0730 but be sure to double check the information they give you against the House bill (ask for the section they are quoting) as I have, on occasion, found an agent to be in error on his info.
And as far as getting an aquisition permit to purchase a handgun in this state, I have received mine in as little as 5 minutes. As long as you have a clear criminal history, it's just a matter of your particular sheriff's department's policy.
Hope I have been of some help. Happy shooting!
BPD147

Old 06-04-2007, 09:38 PM

1 posts, read 13,749 times
Default We don't register handguns

The permit to purchase has been repealed as well. The federal NICS check that an FFL holder must perform on any gun buyer made it a duplication of effort years ago. No longer must anyone waste their sherrif's time for a ten-dollar permit. As far as CCW licenses, we recognize any other state's license to carry. If you have no license to carry, you are able to transport a loaded gun in your car as long as you are at least 21 yrs old and it is "lawfully posessed". See accuratepress.net/class.html if you need more info.

Greg

Old 06-04-2007, 10:02 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,139,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Pugh View Post
The permit to purchase has been repealed as well. The federal NICS check that an FFL holder must perform on any gun buyer made it a duplication of effort years ago. No longer must anyone waste their sherrif's time for a ten-dollar permit. As far as CCW licenses, we recognize any other state's license to carry. If you have no license to carry, you are able to transport a loaded gun in your car as long as you are at least 21 yrs old and it is "lawfully posessed". See accuratepress.net/class.html if you need more info.

Greg
Just a heads up, the PTA or Permit to Acquire does NOT go away until August 28, 2007 for those pondering the purchase of a handgun. This PTA which has been in place for some 85-90 years was originally put in place to prevent black people from legally acquiring a concealable firearm way back in the Jim Crow days. It is long past time for this to go by the way side..

Old 08-12-2007, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 13,413 times
So can i drive with the handgun in my car load or unloaded...What if someone else is driving and my gun is in the car
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri