Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 04:15 PM

70 posts, read 120,378 times

Advertisements

I keep hearing about how Sedalia has the 3rd highest crime rate in MO after StL and KC, mainly due to meth labs. In all honesty, is the crime really that bad there? And if so, how badly has it spread to the outlying towns (Tipton, Knob Noster, Cole Camp, etc.)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 07:05 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,537,231 times
I had no idea how bad it was, but take a look....

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...-Missouri.html

Nearly double the national average for violent crime!

Old 08-17-2013, 01:30 PM

Scary statistics, for sure. When I visited Sedalia there was no hint of such things! Maybe it's just a couple of bad areas of the city contributing to those numbers as opposed to a city-wide issue? Anyone know?

Old 08-19-2013, 06:04 AM

302 posts, read 499,617 times
I do know Missouri had a bad problem with Meth. I also know, when I was living in Missouri (1996-2009) that they were really cracking down on it. Not sure about now, but when I left, there were less and less Meth houses and such.

Violent crime is a problem and mostly in the larger cities and areas. Economy plays a big part in that. In a way, I was sad to leave Missouri, but in another I was glad.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:16 PM

662 posts, read 1,228,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbjbb View Post
I do know Missouri had a bad problem with Meth. I also know, when I was living in Missouri (1996-2009) that they were really cracking down on it. Not sure about now, but when I left, there were less and less Meth houses and such.
The meth lab problem seemed to go away- or at least went away from the area I lived in- in roughly the mid-2000s. The problem surfaced in the late 1990s, peaked in the early 2000s, and then declined after the authorities started to make it much more difficult to buy several precursor chemicals. You still can't buy Sudafed without a doctor's script in quite a few areas.

Quote:
Violent crime is a problem and mostly in the larger cities and areas. Economy plays a big part in that. In a way, I was sad to leave Missouri, but in another I was glad.
The biggest reason I saw for violent crime in the central Missouri during the 2000s was the influx of gangs from the New Orleans area coming up north after Hurricane Katrina. They found that I-70 was a great highway to traffic drugs on and did so. They also carried on their regular thug behavior of fights, stabbings, and shootings which was very abnormal for the area. They eventually got rounded up but it was pretty wild for a few years.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyover_Country View Post
The meth lab problem seemed to go away- or at least went away from the area I lived in- in roughly the mid-2000s. The problem surfaced in the late 1990s, peaked in the early 2000s, and then declined after the authorities started to make it much more difficult to buy several precursor chemicals. You still can't buy Sudafed without a doctor's script in quite a few areas.

The biggest reason I saw for violent crime in the central Missouri during the 2000s was the influx of gangs from the New Orleans area coming up north after Hurricane Katrina. They found that I-70 was a great highway to traffic drugs on and did so. They also carried on their regular thug behavior of fights, stabbings, and shootings which was very abnormal for the area. They eventually got rounded up but it was pretty wild for a few years.
What area did you live in? I notice a lot of the crime statistics are taken from data gathered in 2010, so you're saying it may have improved in the past 3 years?

Old 08-20-2013, 03:16 PM

662 posts, read 1,228,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon0524 View Post
What area did you live in? I notice a lot of the crime statistics are taken from data gathered in 2010, so you're saying it may have improved in the past 3 years?
I lived in a few different places in east-central/central MO, the general region being from an hour west of STL through Columbia bordered by U.S. 50 and I-70. I have been out of the state for the past couple of years but when I left, the meth problem was largely in the past.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:35 PM

302 posts, read 499,617 times
I lived in Columbia/Hallsville (1996-2007) and then Villa Ridge/Washington (2007-2009) which is just South Southwest of St. Louis.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:08 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,537,231 times
Overall, meth production may be declining in Missouri because the product is being driven out of the market by cheap, mass-produced Mexican meth. Here's a DEA map showing "meth clandestine lab incident" statistics by state 2004-2012 showing that nationwide, the number of incidents has been cut in half in that time...and the Missouri number has fallen during that time from nearly 3,000 to 1,825 last year. But Missouri still "leads" the country in meth production by state. Here's a highway patrol set of maps showing the numbers breakdown by county from 2000-2013. Jefferson County looks to be the long-time "leader" among counties in the state-- but St. Charles County is a real surprise with its numbers.

More than a decade ago, I saw a highway patrol presentation for state judges (I'm not one and wasn't then, just worked for the state court administrator's office) on Missouri meth labs. Then, they were saying that the Ozark tradition of making moonshine had morphed into the moonshiners' children making meth. I bought it then but I don't see the numbers shown on the maps proving that up. Sure, there's a pretty good pocket in the southwestern corner of the state, from Springfield and Joplin south to the Arkansas line, but that's nothing compared to the St. Louis area, especially the outlying counties.

Back to the OP's question- if Sedalia's problem is caused by meth, then it's not reflected in the county statistics.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:32 PM

396 posts, read 653,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Overall, meth production may be declining in Missouri because the product is being driven out of the market by cheap, mass-produced Mexican meth.
More jobs going to Mexico
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri