Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 07:41 AM

57 posts, read 204,709 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

A friend of mine and I will be in central MO the week of Oct 17th. Can anyone tell me where to see the autumn sights? Turning leaves, festivals, art fairs etc..? We are out to have a girls weekend away from our respective states and neighther of us has ever been to central MO. Per the norm thank you in advance for an ideas, MO people rock and are the most helpful of all the people on this site.

Gayle in AZ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2006, 10:11 AM

339 posts, read 1,424,309 times
Check the MO Dept of Conservation website before your trip. They keep track of fall colors by region.

From central Missouri (Columbia) you would do best to head toward Herman for Octoberfest. The Germans know how to put on a fall festival. Then head south from there for viewing fall colors. My guess is that by mid October the peak colors will be south of the Missouri river. In addition, if you go South far enough you will be into huge hilly forests with great views any time of year.

Old 09-27-2006, 02:22 PM

97 posts, read 347,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gayleinAZ View Post
Can anyone tell me where to see the autumn sights? Turning leaves
Just as an FYI, the leaves are already turning beautiful shades of orange & yellow in NW Missouri as of about late last week (Sept 22) so I would imagine that Central Missouri will be right on target with us.

I would think within the next few weeks it will be BEAUTIFUL!

Old 09-27-2006, 10:08 PM

Thx again for the info. We will be leaving from KC and going to Columbia and coming back the scenic route via St. Joes. I think the whole dang trip is going to be beautiful.

Old 09-28-2006, 08:14 AM

97 posts, read 347,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gayleinAZ View Post
"St. Joes"
Gayle, I just wanted to give you a little bit of friendly advice. I have noticed in your postings that you always call it "St. Joes".

Just to be correct, if you are not going to call it "St. Joseph" (its proper name) then you should know that it has 2 nicknames:
1) St. Joe
2) St. Jo

No one will know where you are talking about if you call it "St. Joes"

Just thought you might want to know

Old 09-29-2006, 07:08 PM

Red face Sorry St. Joe

I know - I know - I know. I'm a bad person. Actually when I started looking up St. Joseph on the net I kept slapping an 'S' on the end and kept getting directed to the wrong state! Sometimes the wrong country. Anyway - I'm back on track after my little faux pas! NO 'S'!

Think the leaves will hold out 2 more weeks until I get back there?

Old 09-30-2006, 05:55 AM

169 posts, read 678,652 times
If you're going to be near the area, there is a great cider mill in Louisburg that has some neat fall activities. Check out their event calendar. The fall leaves are so beautiful in Missouri. I think you'll really enjoy your visit!
http://www.louisburgcidermill.com/

Old 09-30-2006, 01:43 PM

Smile I can hardly wait to get back

I've been to New England a couple times during the fall and I was mostly disappointed. I guess maybe my timing was just off even though I went there in mid-Oct as well. I love MO so much I just know that she won't let me down with her fall colors. I've never been anywhere other than north KC and a little east of St. JOE - so I have no referance to where Louisburg is. Is it on the way to Columbia, or around that area or further north, east or south?

I'm sure we'll have a great time. She's flying in from Connecticut and I'm coming from AZ and we are both excited to see and do EVERYTHING (in 3 days).

Thanks for keeping me posted. If anyone has any other suggestions I'm not leaving until 10/14 and I'll keep checking back here daily!

Old 09-30-2006, 06:11 PM

169 posts, read 678,652 times
I just had to look it up because I wasn't sure myself. I assumed it must be close because when I lived near KC there were always ads on tv for their cider festival. It's actually quite a bit south, almost to Springfield Missouri so it might be too far out of your way.

Old 10-01-2006, 11:31 AM

Red face Ain't that the way..

Oh well - I'm sure we will encounter all sorts of things on our journey. Once I get relocated to MO I'll be able to go to every festival and sight in the state. I love the MO highway stystem it's a lot like the one's in AZ. Everything seems to be a straight shot to everywhere else and have a highway or freeway going in that direction. I'm sure there's opportunity to get lost but I found the one's I've been on very navigitable. Thanks for the clarification. I'll keep checking back in case someone else has something else to add to the pot.

I hear Hermann has a great Ocktober Fest.. That should be fun along with the wine country! I promise all you MO folks that live in that area I will be a responsible tourist and have a designated driver!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri