Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 10:56 AM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times

Advertisements

If this was in Missouri you should probably contact the Board of Probation and Parole to see what your status is before getting a lawyer if it doesn't resolve itself soon. A SIS is supposed to be expunged so there should not be a conviction if it was handled properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 07:12 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentor1701 View Post
24 years ago I think I had a SIS but I am not sure. It was for Grand Larceny. I was a bank teller and I stole $3000.00 to pay rent and utilities to keep a roof over my wife and 2 little girls heads. It was a stupid thing to do. I don't remember a conviction hearing just a meeting in the prosecutor's office with my wife and kids in attendance. I did my community service and my probation was completed as soon as I paid back the $3000.00. So my probation ended up being maybe 6 months. Is that a SIS? I am not sure. When I try to buy a firearm though I get a delay. Not sure why. Been waiting for over 3 weeks with a delay at Walmart for a 22 rifle. Going to have to get an Attorney I guess to figure out where I stand and what my rights are. No tickets or anything in 24 years been at the same job for 23 years.
According to the law, if you don't get a denial within 3 days, they can sell you the gun. I have no idea what the person at Walmart is doing.

Old 11-03-2017, 01:19 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
According to the law, if you don't get a denial within 3 days, they can sell you the gun. I have no idea what the person at Walmart is doing.
You're correct. As you said they CAN give it to you, but there is no law saying the MUST. They can hold it as long as they want until they get an approval. I've heard of big box stores not releasing it even after 3 days.

Most normal gun shops though, locally owned ones will release the firearm after 3 days as delays happen a lot. Never seen a shop in MO not release one.

Not sure how they are down here in FL since they use a state based computer system and they're a bit stricter with gun laws in FL.

Also, in Missouri you can carry that firearm concealed now too without a permit. You can't get a Missouri permit with an SIS but hopefully state supreme court or federal court changes that.

With the completion of your SIS you can carry a concealed firearm without a permit in MO.

If you wish to open carry in a few cities that forbid it, you can always get a cheap Arizona permit via the mail and use that for open carry.

Old 11-04-2017, 02:09 AM

3 posts, read 10,785 times
Yeah Walmart and other big box stores will not release the weapon till they get a Proceed.
Was in Delay for over 3 weeks finally was like what the hell. Went to the Missouri State Highway Patrol and got a fingerprinted background check. Turns out I do not even have an SIS. The charges were dropped. Problem is someone didn't finish up the paperwork 24 years ago.
They fixed the paperwork and Highway Patrol office said I should get a Proceed now but I still got a delay. Went where I will get it in 3 days now though. After talking to the Missouri State Highway Patrol, The Sheriff's Office, and an Attorney I have found out that I can legally Purchase and own a firearm. I can legally Conceal and Carry in Missouri I just can't get the conceal and carry piece of paper.

Old 11-05-2017, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentor1701 View Post
Yeah Walmart and other big box stores will not release the weapon till they get a Proceed.
Was in Delay for over 3 weeks finally was like what the hell. Went to the Missouri State Highway Patrol and got a fingerprinted background check. Turns out I do not even have an SIS. The charges were dropped. Problem is someone didn't finish up the paperwork 24 years ago.
They fixed the paperwork and Highway Patrol office said I should get a Proceed now but I still got a delay. Went where I will get it in 3 days now though. After talking to the Missouri State Highway Patrol, The Sheriff's Office, and an Attorney I have found out that I can legally Purchase and own a firearm. I can legally Conceal and Carry in Missouri I just can't get the conceal and carry piece of paper.
If no SIS or conviction there is no reason they can deny you a concealed carry permit then by law. If they do then appeal the denial.

That is common to still get a delay even after all the paperwork is taken care of when buying a firearm.

In MO they are trying to get it to where if you have a MO permit you become NICS exempt. I thought they passed that in one of the gun bills in the past but so far no action taken on it.

I would just carry concealed without a permit then since it's no longer needed in MO.

if you want to open carry apply for the MO permit. Deny it appeal it or apply for a Florida or AZ permit.

If you get delayed from NICS due to paperwork, it's likely your FL permit will take a lot longer to do when they want to see more paperwork from the court. One guy on a FL facebook group it took SEVEN months for him to get his Florida permit.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:07 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
The first time they ran a BC on me, it did not come back within three days, so the store sold me the gun anyway. The other times, after that, it was back in a minute or so. The store owner told me that if you had ever been fingerprinted for anything, even military, it tended to delay the paperwork.
The reason the three day limit was initiated was to keep a president from denying money to the BC and therefore stopping gun purchases.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The first time they ran a BC on me, it did not come back within three days, so the store sold me the gun anyway. The other times, after that, it was back in a minute or so. The store owner told me that if you had ever been fingerprinted for anything, even military, it tended to delay the paperwork.
The reason the three day limit was initiated was to keep a president from denying money to the BC and therefore stopping gun purchases.
That's BS because I've been finger printed multiple times because I have a collection of CCW permits. Total of 4, 3 of them being valid since my MO permit is invalid once I left the state. I never got delayed on NICS. Same with my dad. Never delayed.

The time you got delayed could have been a heavy volume of background check request that day.

I can just wonder what the government thinks of people like me with so many permits. Must be some kind of watch list lol.

If I did move back to MO I would still keep a couple out of state permits just so I could openly carry in a few of the small towns that restrict open carry. I wouldn't bother applying for a MO permit again though.

Here in FL I hear delays more because FL runs their own NICS check instead at the state level and it can get backed up more since it's the state doing it.

FL likes to regulate guns more than MO overall. If you read FL gun laws it will make your head spin compared to the lack of laws MO has. MO hardly has any gun laws on the books now.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:29 AM

3 posts, read 10,785 times
I got a Proceed after a few days of waiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri