Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 16,314 times

Advertisements

I had sis sentence over 10 years ago for a none violinent crime , i had a ncic background check and purchased a firearm,my question is since i was approve to purchase a firearm can i own and posses it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2013, 09:38 PM

978 posts, read 2,039,637 times
In most places, if you pass the background check, you can legally own a firearm. However, some states have very strict laws. Missouri isn't one of them. As long as you are not a convicted felon, you are good to go.

Old 10-27-2013, 04:27 AM

19 posts, read 44,318 times
you have the right to bear arms an better use it, because theres bound to be a revolution sooner or later. all americans should be carryin at all times

Old 11-02-2013, 04:28 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,548,746 times
When you got your suspended imposition of sentence, did you get probation, complete it and then return to court or at least get notified that the original charge had been dropped?
I am not a damn lawyer, but my understanding of the SIS is that no conviction occurs until sentence is imposed. If the probation and community service are completed satisfactorily, the sentence is not imposed, no conviction results and the charge is dropped.
When the judge suspends the imposition of sentence, he's giving you a chance to avoid a conviction and a record.
There's also the SES, the suspended execution of sentence, which is a conviction, but suspends the sentence as long as probation is served.
At least, that's the way I have understood it for years, so it seems to me that you have no conviction, no record and thus a clean background. You should be able to own and possess a firearm. But as I said, I'm not a damn lawyer.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 13,982 times
Yes you are able to own,buy and possess a firearm. If you have successfully completed the terms of your (sentence). I myself have had an sis and been pulled over by the police. They always hand my firearm right back to me. The officer stated that it doesn't even show up on the computer in the squad car.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:52 AM

4 posts, read 35,907 times
with a SIS (not SES) Felony in Missouri - you can own a firearm - you can not get your concealed carry permit. You can carry in your vehicle as it is an extension of your home. Do not leave your vehicle with it concealed and understand your local laws regarding firearms. (each can be different within the state)

The Missouri Legislature made significant changes to the law dealing
with felons in possession of firearms, and Missouri law now more
closely follows federal law.

It is now a class C felony for any convicted felon to possess any
firearm, including a handgun, rifle or shotgun. Missouri has not
historically been so restrictive. The state’s prohibition had been
limited to concealable weapons (such as handguns) and applied to only
“dangerous” felons. A dangerous felon was an individual who plead
guilty to , or was convicted of, only certain felonies.

For this reason, most convicted felons could use a rifle or shotgun
for hunting if they completed their probation or parole. Under
Missouri law, a “conviction” includes a suspended execution of
sentence (SES), but does not include a suspended imposition of
sentence (SIS).

Thus, if someone who pleads guilty and receives an SIS is not deemed a
convicted felon for purposes of this law. As was the case before the
2008 change, a felon cannot obtain a concealable weapons permit under
Missouri law. This includes felons receiving an SIS.

Since you received a SIS then you are not considered a convicted felon
under the law and can purchase firearms but you can not have a
Concealed weapons permit.

Old 03-05-2016, 05:59 PM

19,635 posts, read 9,956,075 times
Was your sis for a felony or did they reduce it to a misdemeanor and were you under age?

Old 03-13-2016, 09:39 AM

My husband received a SIS for a felony 15 years ago. (non violent, was for possession of controled substance) He did complete the SIS. When background checks are made for job clearance or as far as voting and hunting rights the felony does not show. When a concealed carry was applied for, he was denied for having the SIS felony on record. After much research as we were afraid we couldn't have firearms in our home - I found the above law. I have talked with a lawyer and he assured me it was correct.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:40 AM

My husband received a SIS for a felony 15 years ago as an adult (non violent, was for possession of controled substance) He did complete the SIS. When background checks are made for job clearance or as far as voting and hunting rights the felony does not show. When a concealed carry was applied for, he was denied for having the SIS felony on record. After much research as we were afraid we couldn't have firearms in our home - I found the above law. I have talked with a lawyer and he assured me it was correct.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:41 AM

3 posts, read 10,531 times
24 years ago I think I had a SIS but I am not sure. It was for Grand Larceny. I was a bank teller and I stole $3000.00 to pay rent and utilities to keep a roof over my wife and 2 little girls heads. It was a stupid thing to do. I don't remember a conviction hearing just a meeting in the prosecutor's office with my wife and kids in attendance. I did my community service and my probation was completed as soon as I paid back the $3000.00. So my probation ended up being maybe 6 months. Is that a SIS? I am not sure. When I try to buy a firearm though I get a delay. Not sure why. Been waiting for over 3 weeks with a delay at Walmart for a 22 rifle. Going to have to get an Attorney I guess to figure out where I stand and what my rights are. No tickets or anything in 24 years been at the same job for 23 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri