U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2006, 02:51 PM

7 posts, read 30,580 times

Advertisements

I am fixing to graduate college from the University of Oklahoma and am looking at 3M in Nevada and I was wondering if anyone has any information about it. I know its not a big city but I am young and don't want to go to a super!!! small town that I will die of boredom. If anyone has any information about this or the geography, cost of living, what there is to do there, weather, school system, etc... I would be very happy. Also, my fiance is in cosmetology and I was wondering if there are jobs there for that that pay anywhere near the national average. Thank you for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2006, 02:36 PM

7 posts, read 30,580 times
Anyone who has any ideas will help.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:42 AM

11,699 posts, read 11,056,700 times
Me thinks that it will be a little slow for you. You will keep 71 hwy hot going to and from Kansas City , Joplin or Springfield. A good thing is that 71 hwy is in great shape with a 70mph speed limit.

Old 10-26-2006, 11:52 PM

2 posts, read 13,607 times
Thumbs up 3m

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Mengineer View Post
I am fixing to graduate college from the University of Oklahoma and am looking at 3M in Nevada and I was wondering if anyone has any information about it. I know its not a big city but I am young and don't want to go to a super!!! small town that I will die of boredom. If anyone has any information about this or the geography, cost of living, what there is to do there, weather, school system, etc... I would be very happy. Also, my fiance is in cosmetology and I was wondering if there are jobs there for that that pay anywhere near the national average. Thank you for the help.
Re:3M is one of the Better paying job's In Nevada, Mo The Pop is around 10,000 there is a dirt race track for summer intermant and high school sport not ahole lot to do here but the cost of livivg is low enough you pay your rent working anyware pt. Nevada has a very low crime rate i do believe you will like it here i moved away 3 times and i always come back! I say go for it 3M is a killer job.

Old 10-28-2006, 12:35 AM

14 posts, read 63,564 times
Nevada might be a good match for you. You'll get bored so buy a big fat HOG for you and your woman and explore Missouri. Get a boat and spend weekends on Truman Lake. Go skiing at Brighton during the winter. Take up bowling, weight training and church and you'll not have time to be bored.

Old 11-01-2006, 03:52 PM

11,699 posts, read 11,056,700 times
Don't forget your shotgun and fishing rod as well. Mo has more wild turkeys than any other state and the deer are huge. The Mo Dept of Conservation has a Conservation area practically on any street corner.LOL Mo is loaded with walking trails and canoing in Mo is a great pass time. Farmers are complaining that The Dept of Conservation is their main competitor on land purchasing. Duck and Goose hunting is huge in Mo as well.

Last edited by Versatile; 11-01-2006 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: I can't spell worth spit on a computer.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:23 AM

1 posts, read 6,094 times
Thumbs up Nevada is great

I have lived in Nevada for 13 years it is a nice clean low crime place to live. My husband has worked for 3M for over 6 years he likes it there. The school district is great one of the top in Missouri and the country. There is a few place for a cosmetologists to get on at I know one that has been needing help. Plus cost of living is great especially on an engineer at 3M salary you can get a real large nice house for 70k to 120k 3 or 4 bedroom. In town or out in the country. want to know anything else just ask.

Old 02-13-2007, 10:13 PM

14 posts, read 51,816 times
Default Nevada is small, but not bad at all.

I lived in Nevada for about a year in the mid 80's so take that into consideration as far as how much is or isn't relevant in 2007. The population hasn't changed much in that time, so I am probably fairly close as to how it is now.

I was just 21 back then and on my first full time job in radio. Since rent was dirt cheap for apartments and houses, a little salary went a long way. 3M was and probably still is, one of the primo companies there in terms of careers. I would imagine that it is still very reasonable if not dirt cheap to find good living arrangements. Crime was pretty much zilch to my knowledge. Being young and single at the time, we enjoyed having the all girl college (Cottey) there for social life. There were a few fun places within a decent drive. There was a country bar in nearby Pittsburg, KS and an all around dance club in nearby Ft. Scott, Kansas. A popular Nevada hangout was called THE SUBWAY at the time. Not sure if it is still there. There were some decent local diners, but nothing much beyond the usual fast food chains at the time.

Only potential drawbacks I could see would be to choose your house carefully AWAY from the trains. I recall that it sounded like the 3AM freights were coming straight through our lower level at night. The town tended to shut down about 8 or 9 in the evening most nights, and a lot of people just drive up and down Austin Blvd on weekends for fun. (not a lot of excitement.) However, KC is only about 85 miles up the road and it's only a few hours to some other bigger cities if you need a change. The town itself was your typical "Mayberry" with the pretty courthouse square and a park or two. Nothing outlandish, but nothing bad at all. I'd like to go back and visit one day and see what has changed or stayed the same.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri