Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 09:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,035 times

Advertisements

I hope I am doing this post correctly. We are moving to Columbia Mo in a few months. We have seen some nice newer houses (on internet), in the Bellwood neighborhood. I will have a 10th grader this fall, girl. How is this neighborhood? Mostly families? What is the high school in this district like? Not so good, fair, or not worth living in that neighborhood? Are there opinions on which High School, public or private that are better? My 10th grader is not into sports, and does well academically. Are there any schools that are using ipads or laptops in classes? Any info on this area would be much appreciated, I have read all the threads, and they are years old with the neighborhood and housing info. I am in a little of a freak out mode with this move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2014, 10:11 AM

978 posts, read 2,053,979 times
That's a good neighborhood. It's primarily families. The high school for that area will be Hickman. It's an older school, but has a good reputation. All of the schools in Columbia are decent. Battle High School is the newest, but primarily serves the eastern part of Columbia.

Sorry, not sure about the other questions. I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:37 AM

108 posts, read 284,551 times
Of the three primary high schools in Columbia, however, Hickman tends to be viewed the lowest and from local news reports, the area around Hickman has some of the highest crime in the city. Bellwood is in a very nice area -- safe, new, close to a lot of shopping and dining -- very comfortable and suburban if that is what you are looking for.

I recently moved here and do not have any kids so don't have any first-hand knowledge of the schools. My wife has lived here for seven years though and has heard some negative things about Hickman, but mainly from a safety/crime perspective.

Rock Bridge is one of the top feeder schools to the University of Missouri and is ranked 8th in Missouri by US News. Hickman also places very well at 14th. Battle is too new, since this is its first school year. Most people in the area seem to view Rock Bridge as the best, but again, not enough info on Battle yet. It is considerably east of Columbia, though, and the previous poster said, mainly serves the east (and part of the north/northeast) parts of the city. It is positioned for future growth as is is far enough east there is really nothing around it yet.

I do remember seeing on the news that all the students at Battle were given new iPad Minis this year.

Search Missouri High Schools | US News

Old 01-25-2014, 02:18 PM

24 posts, read 105,758 times
From a property investment standpoint I think you always go with the latest and greatest. Not because it's the best place in the city because everyone has different things on their checklist as far as that goes. But brand new schools and mostly new homes up in that area Joel and Attra mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri