Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2014, 04:26 PM

450 posts, read 2,056,592 times

Advertisements

I need some advice from someone who has been in the area. The land is on Little Sinking Creek with several springs. I have finally decided to come to the springiest area in the country to get my little piece of heaven--land with a year-round spring--lots of live water. I need to know if the creek is year-round. It is a parcel of land bordered by private property on 2 sides and the Mark Twain on the other. Easy access by gravel county road. It is only a few miles south of Bunker. Has a small trailer--very old--and on the grid. I am paying for the land and not the house. It is the only property that appears to have decent live water where you do not have to pay up for a fancier house.

I am 64 and plan to retire there--but my plan is to get a small apartment in Poplar Bluff for medical and othr amenities and to get out of really big snow and ice storms. I would then pop up to the Bunker area for a rural retreat. The land is cheap enough so I could conceivably have 2 residences.

Let me know if you know the area. I would be happy to correspond with someone off forum and I could then send the real estate information as the forum is not really designed for that.

Thanks and God Bless,

Kurt
Kurt Grussendorf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 05:25 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,275,090 times
That area is nice country, I have hunted the area in the past. Hunting it was ... interesting. As in Lots of guys chasing deer with 4-wheelers, two-way radios, and even dogs. When a buck dove into a lake to avoid pursuing hunters on one side, hunters on opposite side of the lake were shooting at the deer in the middle. Like I said, interesting. It is beautiful country, and one of the less populated parts of the state, but that comes with a catch. The people who do live in the area are mostly poor, many on welfare, and education is less than some other places. Most of them I met were nice people, if a little reserved toward a stranger, but it is not a good area of the state to be rocking the boat. If you are that type, you will be happier elsewhere. If you are the kind who likes solitude, and stay mostly to yourself, or you are the kind who has a lot in common with hill folk, then you will love the area. I could live there and love it, maybe even have some friends over time. Folks with differing views who like to debate probably would not enjoy living there. Just depends on your personality and what you need/want out of your community. Of course, all this is simply my impression from spending a week once a year there, hunting and camping some years back. It may be different now, although I suspect not much has changed, or I could have a skewed view based on limited interaction with folks in town.

Old 01-25-2014, 04:34 PM

450 posts, read 2,056,592 times
Default Hi, Countryboy. Bunker/Logger's Lake

Thanks for replying to my post. The land is actually in the extreme southeastern corner of Dent County but very close to Reynolds and just north of Shannon.

I have already decided that it will be a rural retreat for me. I would probably get an apartment in Rolla or West Plains to be closer to medical and general social amenities. And I don't think I would like to "do snow" and winter in the hills. I am a pretty solitary guy. I am a Christian but not a "Bible thumper" type. I would probably find some church to introduce me to the community.

I know it can take a long time to be accepted, if ever. But I don't think it is "Deliverance" country if you mind your own business and prove yourself open and friendly.

Have you ever been on upper Little Sinking Creek? The land is very near Highley Springs and the better known Logger's Lake. You could Google:64 acres water, water, water play in the creek Reynold's County and find it. But it is really in Dent.

Keep in touch.

Kurt Grussendorf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri