Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 10:49 AM

12 posts, read 20,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Have at least 6 months worth of expenses before you move here. Nobody just moves to an unfamiliar area and gets employed right when they show up. That takes time, and often more than we think.

Be prepared for what your getting yourself and your family into. Best of luck.
My girlfriend's sister lives out there already. We will be going out there with some money saved up already. We will stay at her sister's house for the first few months until we get jobs. We will be using next years income tax refund on a uhaul, and getting rid of stuff we don't use between now and then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2014, 12:14 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,857 times
Cali to Mo is a huge Culture shock...
You might should visit for a few weeks in August before committing to a move
I Plan on moving to Missouri also, all my relative live there. However over the last 7 years we have spent several weeks each year in Mo. We have gone in every season. And most importantly, we are looking to retire there, not work.
Missouri is great for fishing and hunting and many more outdoor activities, not so much for finding employment.....

Old 02-01-2014, 11:21 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,342,692 times
After much debating over the past couple of years, we've also decided to move to Mo. We're looking into Arnold and Festus areas.

I'm from Missouri and have lived in a lot of the states, California being one of them. It's been a while since I've lived in Cali but the things I hear of it now, sounds like it's getting bad.
Fishing is great in Missouri. Like CaliBass says, if weather is a problem for you, I'd check out the seasons. Unlike California whose weather is near perfect most of the time, Mo. has the 4 seasons and it will get pretty hot and humid and it will get freezing cold.

I'm pretty much semi retired so I can't tell you anything of employment other than a cousin of mine that just got out of the army and wanted to be around St. Louis and hasn't been able to find anything.

If you're staying with kinfolk until you get settled, you'll do fine. As for my husband and I, we are putting our house on the market next month, hoping it sells soon and heading that way.

Best of luck with your move.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:37 AM

377 posts, read 569,867 times
As a native Californian who now lives in Kansas City, I'm confident that both you and California will be happier with you living somewhere else.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:21 PM

1 posts, read 906 times
I know what you mean about California. I lived there for a year (San Bernardino) about 35 years ago. As much as I love the ocean, weather, shopping and restaurants the rest of what you say about California is true. I was born in Festus but raised in Vegas so I don't remember much about Missouri. I'm now in the process of buying a 100 year old home a little south of Festus in a smaller community. We will try it out for awhile before consider selling our Vegas home and making a permanent move.

There is definitely a culture shock. They eat things I've never heard of like hog jaw and liver dumplings. The countryside is beautiful. Property is incredibly cheap. The cost of living is low. Don't know how hard it might be to find a good paying job. Fortunately for us we will be retired soon so we won't have to struggle looking for work.

People are friendly there but if you move to a small town get used to everyone knowing your business. Anything you say and do will be broadcast to the whole community. There seems to be a lot to do for outdoorsy kind of people. Have to get used to dealing with mosquitos but love the fireflies. Gets hot and humid in the summer but when it gets hot in the desert I stay indoors so I guess I would do the same in MO. Not sure how we will handle the snow yet.

The older historic towns aren't good places for handicapped people. Anyone in a wheelchair or walker won't be able to get into most of the older buildings as there is no handicapped access or handicapped restrooms. It seems that every restaurant or shop has awkward entrances with steps. Apparently the old historic buildings aren't required to comply with todays standards but sidewalks and public buildings like the court house do seem to comply. When you go into a restaurant in one of those really old buildings and go to the restroom you will be in for a surprise. Some restrooms are so small you can barely squeeze into them. You just have to see it to believe it

We took a drive down the old highway 61 from Ste. Genevieve to Pocahontas and saw the coolest little towns with neat old houses and old barns. If you love hundred year old homes you'll be in heaven there. It's such a shame that apparently most people either don't have the money to restore the old homes or just aren't interested. It's sad to see them deteriorate and be torn down.

Missouri is quite an adventure for those of us from the West. I'm lucky to have a lot of family there. Definitely take a lot of trips to get familiar with the area.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:24 PM

27 posts, read 47,133 times
I see that this thread is a little old, but in case you haven't made it here to experience it for yourself yet, I feel obligated to tell you this- The carp are only amusing until you get hit with one. It's not like the youtube videos where everyone's dressed like Vikings swinging axes and swords and drinking beer. When you're trying to enjoy yourself or you're bustin ass down the river and one comes out of nowhere and cracks you in the noggin, the amusement factor fades quickly.

Pro tip.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:56 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Hey Hater
Quick Question or two.
Why Missouri ?
Got Kin there?
Ever been there in August?
Your girl ever been there?
...and can you live without a Trader Joe's, Whole Foods and In-N-Out Burger just down the block, deal with winters with ice storms and snow, tornadoes and other delights, Bible Belt neighbors, ultra-conservative politicians, small town everybody-knows-your-business, lack of diversity and limited food choices as a result and more?

MO isn't for the faint of heart and most Califoreigners and jumping carp seems a strange reason to make a 2,000 mile move.

The thread may be old but the realities aren't and perhaps others contemplating moves here from the left coast will pay heed.

Old 09-24-2014, 03:20 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificwhim View Post
As a native Californian who now lives in Kansas City, I'm confident that both you and California will be happier with you living somewhere else.

LOL...agree. A 35 yr old man who can't even write a somewhat proper sentence "me and my girlfriend"., not to mention an illegitimate son.

Using their tax refund to rent a U-Haul, arriving with no jobs, and limited funds, so he can watch fish jump in a boat.

What a loss for CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri