Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2010, 07:23 PM

27 posts, read 52,170 times

Advertisements

After the military, I would like to move out of California.

I want a slow life. THE slow life.

-Hick Town (One to two gas stations)
-Dirt Road
-Needs to have pride in their local High School football team. (with Rival School)
-Post office
-Diner
-Grocery & Convieneince store.

Trying to get out of this rat race for good.
I would like to find a fairly small house or I could just live out of a mobile home.

With ma dog.

Doesn't matter to me.

ANY suggestions at all, let me know please.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 07:53 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
For life that slow you might prefer North FL, GA, AR or MS. However, if you want Missouri there are any number of small towns that fit that description. If you get too small of a town, as in dirt road, you may have to drive at least 15-30 miles to find a grocery store. In Missouri you have to know what kind of topography you want: mountains, hills, plains, trees so tall and thick you can't see anywhere, or lowland flat (bootheel). Do you want to live in an mainly agricultural area or one that offers industry & manufacturing in a short drive? Is it important to be near a VA hospital?

Old 10-19-2010, 08:37 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,317 posts, read 8,657,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodoHeard View Post

!
Pea Ridge, Arkansas
exactly like you describe

Old 10-19-2010, 10:03 PM

380 posts, read 963,738 times
Quote:

-Hick Town (One to two gas stations)
-Dirt Road
-Needs to have pride in their local High School football team. (with Rival School)
-Post office
-Diner
-Grocery & Convieneince store.

Trying to get out of this rat race for good.
I would like to find a fairly small house or I could just live out of a mobile home.

With ma dog.

Doesn't matter to me.

ANY suggestions at all, let me know please.

Thank you and have a wonderful day!
Willow Springs, MO - Howell County.
Two gas stations - check
Dirt Roads - paved in town but otherwise - check
Willow Springs Bears - GO BEARS!!! - check
Post Office - Check
Diner - Two - check
Grocery/Convenience? - two - check.

You'll love it.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:25 AM

1,817 posts, read 6,860,950 times
Ok I'm a little severe storm phobic but still... I think for the price of houses in rural areas I'd axe the mobile home idea and get a solid house with a basement. Striaght line winds and toppling trees make for less of a hazard in a house.

Come out to Missouri and check out the towns and neighborhoods and move to a place that feels neighborly to you. A lot of places have a different feel to them and you'll be happy you did.

I used to live in a bit bigger town that you are looking for here in N Missouri and it was heaven to me. I spent a lot of time out in the yard planting and growing things and enjoying the sun and breeze. We also used to take a lunch over to the park and just sit and enjoy it there it was so beautiful. We've moved back to Mo. and the town I'm in doesn't have the same laid back feel to it. I get out in the more rural areas though where people wave and are friendly and it starts to feel homey again.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:06 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,563,477 times
Quote:

Oh, good. We don't have nearly enough California transplants in Missouri. Come and join us. Pick you out a Mayberry spot in rural Missouri. Then after two-three months when you find that the slow life is really slower than you expected, you can start complaining like the other transplants do that there's not enough culture or night life.
Also, you can drive past the hometown merchants in your small town and go to the big city for serious shopping. Then, as these people go under due to lack of customers, and more buildings empty out in your town, you can complain that there aren't enough places to shop.
You can also take advantage of cheap land and low cost of living while complaining about low wages.
Of course, you can also complain about people like me who aren't friendly enough for you.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:09 AM

694 posts, read 1,357,410 times
Hey DodoHeard - one more thing we forgot to mention.

Thank you very much for your service in our armed forces!!!

And the best of luck to you - wherever you decide to call home.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:28 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,632,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post
Hey DodoHeard - one more thing we forgot to mention.

Thank you very much for your service in our armed forces!!!

And the best of luck to you - wherever you decide to call home.
Ditto!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri