U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 09:18 PM

1 posts, read 4,567 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to the Sedalia area with my family. We are a biracial family with mixed White/African American children. Is this going to be a problem in Sedalia? We have always felt welcome in all our visits to Missouri, but had some bad experiences in Tennesee. I admit to being a little leary about the move. We are coming from the Upper Penisula of Michigan. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 11:28 AM

21,391 posts, read 37,543,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owleyes1811 View Post
I am considering moving to the Sedalia area with my family. We are a biracial family with mixed White/African American children. Is this going to be a problem in Sedalia? We have always felt welcome in all our visits to Missouri, but had some bad experiences in Tennesee. I admit to being a little leary about the move. We are coming from the Upper Penisula of Michigan. Thank you.
Sedalia is a big enough town to have a decent amount of diversity. I really do not think it would be a problem there at all.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:17 PM

9 posts, read 39,169 times
didnt chuck berry have a farm in sedalia i think i was there in the early to mid 70s for a week end concert

Old 10-05-2008, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 4,398 times
Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomhooople View Post
I was wondering what Sedalia, MO is like. Is it a nice place to live? Looking for a small town with a few nice restuarants and a generally rural lifestyle. Wouldn't mind being fairly close to a university. Also would like warmer winters with less snow than we get in New England. Thanks

> response:

I realize this post is a couple of years old, I apologize for just now getting to it. For any one else that is interested, Sedalia is most definetley not a good place to live, nor raise a child. There are gangs, drugs, unsolved crimes etc. I am in the process of trying to relocate to a better place to raise my son.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 4,289 times
Jelyel is right! Sedalia is not a safe place to raise a family, although it might be a better alternative than larger cities, such as Columbia, or Kansas City. I as well live in Sedalia, and I can't wait until the day I can leave. Our town has a major drug problem, and not just the petty marajuana stuff, but meth amphetamine. Crime has become a major issue in our town as well, probably due to the large meth community, and our negligent police and sheriff's department. In the last two months, two people have gone missing from Sedalia, this is the first missing persons case in Sedalia in over 25 years. If you have to move to Sedalia, it would be smart to stay on the west side of town. The majority of drugs and violence is on the north east side of town, right next to the police and sheriff's department, that speaks for itself. Just a couple weeks ago, a 6th grader bought meth (aka happy crack or strawberry meth) at the junior high school. This is what our youth in Sedalia is being subjected to. This is very scary, do you know what meth does to your brain, your teeth, or the kind of damage it does to your internal organs. I understand that meth is readily available in probably all comminuties, but on top of the meth problem, our police department is not doing enough about it. Please reconsider if your are planning a move to Sedalia with your family!

Old 04-07-2009, 11:12 PM

1 posts, read 4,130 times
I have lived in Sedalia for 19 years, I do not feel that it is a bad town by any means our community is close and well united. Our schooling in Sedalia is growing and becoming a great place to get a education. I love this town I would never even think of moving. Im not sure what part of town you have lived on, but I have lived on south park all the way to 9th and New York. This town has a great Police Department have you ever met any of the police officers? I have met them all and there is not one bad thing I could possibly say about any of the wonder people pertecting our town.They do many things to meet the people who live in Sedalia like The Day At The Park. Maybe those putting Sedalia down should leave because Sedalia does not need any one putting this wonderful historical town down. Our town may have crime, but it is a small ammount compared to other towns. Sedalia is becoming larger there for more crime that is only commin since. Also two missing people in twenty five years? Does not compare to other citys with kids missing left and right. So for those wanting to move to Sedalia I say i was born here and i will raise my children here, and also one day die peacfully here.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:47 PM

10 posts, read 28,358 times
Question How about Warrensburg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bing123 View Post
I have lived in Sedalia for 19 years, I do not feel that it is a bad town by any means our community is close and well united. Our schooling in Sedalia is growing and becoming a great place to get a education. I love this town I would never even think of moving. Im not sure what part of town you have lived on, but I have lived on south park all the way to 9th and New York. This town has a great Police Department have you ever met any of the police officers? I have met them all and there is not one bad thing I could possibly say about any of the wonder people pertecting our town.They do many things to meet the people who live in Sedalia like The Day At The Park. Maybe those putting Sedalia down should leave because Sedalia does not need any one putting this wonderful historical town down. Our town may have crime, but it is a small ammount compared to other towns. Sedalia is becoming larger there for more crime that is only commin since. Also two missing people in twenty five years? Does not compare to other citys with kids missing left and right. So for those wanting to move to Sedalia I say i was born here and i will raise my children here, and also one day die peacfully here.
What about Warrensburg?

Old 07-14-2009, 10:15 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,504,737 times
Yeah, I lived in the area for 10+ years, and Sedalia is a little rough around the edges. There are some beautiful old homes, though, and there did used to be a pretty cool independent bookstore there. That said, I'd strongly, strongly, strongly recommend Columbia, another small city in the area (and my favorite small city on earth - and I've lived in quite a few!). Warrensburg is also a smidgeon tough and actually quite dull in spite of that.

Old 11-15-2009, 09:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,752 times
Smile Good neighborhoods and apartments in Sedalia

Hi! My husband and I are moving with an 8-yr old son by the end of the month to Sedalia. Can you suggest the best neighborhoods to live in and which to avoid? We're looking for a 2-3 bedroom apartment. Your feedbacks will be very much appreciated.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:12 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,504,737 times
I'd actually recommend Columbia about a billion times over Sedalia.. no contest. Sedalia does have the Ragtime Festival, which is really cool, and some interesting historical stuff, and the awesome Daum Museum, but to live in - it'd basically be like a big (and not very interesting, with a significant sleazy element as well) small town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri