U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 08:18 AM

2 posts, read 3,482 times

Advertisements

Wow so many negative things to say about Sedalia. We visit there for at least 6 to 8 weeks every year to visit our daughter and her family. I love Sedalia.. It is an affordable city to live in and so very friendly. We will be moving to Sedalia in about 1 1/2 years when hubby retires. I have two grandchildren who are in school in Sedalia and if you stay on top of things they get a very good education. If a student misses a day the principal is on the phone to the family.. My grandkids attend Heber Hunt. I have been to spelling B's Christmas plays and all sorts of different actiivties. Soccor is big in Sedalia for the kids as well as other sports. El Espalon is a good Mexican food restaurant goood yummy food, I have not had a Goober Burger but have heard it is really good and Wheels Inn is still open just moved down the street. Good churches, good people, nice homes, afordable living, and a great place to be. Yea it had a seedy past but what small town didn't but that does not change the fact that it is a GREAT city to live in. Big cities are not to far away if you need more to do.

We have been there for every season, but missed the tornado that came pretty close to our daughter's house. That might have scared me but the sirens go off so you do have warnings. All I can say is I love it there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 04:30 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,504,737 times
I could easily make a list of cool things about Sedalia (Bothwell Lodge, Ragtime Festival, downtown renovation efforts [e.g., Liberty Center], Daum Museum, streets of lovely, well maintained Craftsman homes...). But in a net sense, there's still way more "bad"/unhealthy about that city than good. I lived in Clinton for ten years (twenty, if you count my college/grad school years when I'd frequently come home to stay with my parents), and both towns have a similar, bitter, dumpy, rough-around-the-edges "What are you lookin' at?" vibe. A lot of people who are obviously disdainful towards esthetics and don't really feel good about themselves/life. It's sad, because there certainly are people in Sedalia who would like to make things better, but they have a enormous hill to climb (a few better restaurants/cafes would be a start - yeah, the Goober Burger is fun, but one novelty burger place does not a city dining scene make).

Awhile ago, someone on C-D asked whether Sedalia or Columbia would be a better place to live. I couldn't even wrap my mind around the question. The two are as different to me as night and day.

Finally, the principal calling the family thing is just weird.. when I was about twelve and my family moved from Omaha to Clinton, MO, my middle school's administration acted like my parents were criminals for taking me (and my brother and sister) to go skiing in Colorado for a week (even though they notified the school well in advance). I think that mostly has to do with money - the more students show up for school on a given day, the more money the district/school gets from the state.

Last edited by Alicia Bradley; 03-09-2010 at 04:43 PM..

Old 03-28-2011, 06:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarks21 View Post
Not a giveaway at all. I've lived in Missouri all my life and I have no idea. But I would like to find out - I think.

the goober-buger is a reg. hamburger with peanut butter on it

it was a a icon been there for a least 65+ yrs it no longer there

people for all over the world at one at time have eatten there

hope that helps

Old 07-12-2012, 09:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,079 times
I love Sedalia!!! I have lived here most of my life!! The Wheel Inn is where you eat a Goober Burger, which is a burger w/ PB! That and the State Fair are the landmarks for sure in this town!!! It is def not uncommon for us to take off to a nearby city for a day!!!! We are 1 hour away from kc,columbia, jeff city, and bagnall dam!!! We now have the mid mo outlaws, which is an indoor football team and the are awesome!!! We compete w really tough big city teams and they give away tons of freebies!!! Def a family atmosphere!!! We also have lots of sports programs for kids!!! We also have a few really nice parks.. Where their are usually a lot of families!!! Just a great family town!!!

Old 12-14-2012, 07:17 PM

4,235 posts, read 21,776,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Used to be a place to get a Goober-burger made with peanut butter. I think they closed up.
No they did not close up, they just moved further south on U.S. 65 just past the state fairgrounds and before you pass the KXIX radio station. The restaurant with the "guber burger" is called "Wagon Wheel Inn". So yes if you want a guber burger, go hit up Wagon Wheel Inn.

What did close up, however, was Eddie's drive in, which was also located in Sedalia at the corner of U.S. 50 and Ohio street....which is a shame because they were probably the oldest (1937) mom and pop food joint in all of Sedalia, and they made some of the best tasting burgers I've ever had.

Other than that, Sedalia, from what I've seen, is ok....it does have quite a few amenities to it, and I enjoy driving downtown in Sedalia and looking/shopping at all the old building still standing and still in use (one burned down today on Ohio St. and 2nd). I will agree there's some run down looking areas in Sedalia....from what I have seen, some of the houses south of U.S. 65 and east of 65, look like slime balls/drug addicts live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri