Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 01:13 AM

29 posts, read 110,893 times

Advertisements

I was poking around on Craigslist for used cars last night and spotted what appears to be a really nice Toyota truck (early 2000s model) for a really, really good price. The truck is for sale by a private owner in eastern MO.

At this point, I don't know if I will actually be able to buy it (at the price the owner is asking it will probably be gone before I can get it), plus I would have to see whether the truck is worth the money, of course. So this is a long shot.

That said, just in case it does turn out to be a good deal and I do get it, what would I have to do to make everything good and legal if I buy it? From what I've discovered based on my extensive research (i.e. googling the topic) I presume that:

1) I would have to pay MO sales tax on the sale (would I have to go to a MO DMV facility to do it?) and

2) I would have to get new IL plates and pay the IL "use tax" (difference between MO & IL sales taxes) here. Am I missing anything important?

Also, what would I need to do to drive the truck home (it would be about a 100-mile drive)? Do I just leave the MO plates on and switch them out when I get home, or do I have to get some kind of temporary tags before I can drive it home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2014, 08:08 AM

978 posts, read 2,053,101 times
1) In MO, you pay sales tax at the DMV when you register the car. Since you are not registering the car in MO, you should be able to have the owner sign the title over to you, then go to the DMV in IL to have the title transferred.

Taxes in IL will depend on IL law. Maybe the owner will be nice enough to write up a bill of sale for less than what you actually paid.

The owner should take his plates off the vehicle before giving it to you. You can go to the MO DMV to get temporary plates.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:01 PM

29 posts, read 110,893 times
Thanks for the reply. The vehicle I wanted is already sold. However, when I search Craigslist for the make/models I want I get a lot of hits in the St. Louis area so this info may yet prove useful. I have been told I would only have to pay tax in IL at the time I get the vehicle titled and plated, and would have 24 hours after the purchase to get it home without plates.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:52 AM

112 posts, read 173,128 times
Confused......!! In the US does a vehicle retain the same licence plate number throughout it's life, or is the licence plate number registered to the individual which then moves on from vehicle to vehicle with the owner?? Bar private plate registrations...

Old 04-08-2014, 10:40 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,684,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. DarcyJones View Post
Confused......!! In the US does a vehicle retain the same licence plate number throughout it's life, or is the licence plate number registered to the individual which then moves on from vehicle to vehicle with the owner?? Bar private plate registrations...
License plates change if the vehicle is registered in a different state.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
License plates change if the vehicle is registered in a different state.
And in some states, plates my change if you move to a different county. MO isn't one of these states.

I remember owning cars when I lived in France, the plates stayed with the vehicle.

Old 04-12-2014, 09:30 AM

18 posts, read 39,734 times
Plates stay with the vehicle here in Texas.

Old 04-12-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX dude View Post
Plates stay with the vehicle here in Texas.
Interesting. So if you trade in your car at the dealer or sell it privately, you have to get a new set of plates?

Old 04-15-2014, 11:40 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,534,335 times
In MO and KS, you keep the plate(s) and transfer them to your replacement car, or nail them up in your garage if you don't get another vehicle

Old 04-27-2014, 07:01 AM

18 posts, read 39,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
Interesting. So if you trade in your car at the dealer or sell it privately, you have to get a new set of plates?
Weird, I just got the notification that there was a response, so sorry for the delay.

It depends.

A new car the dealer will register it for you and you'll pick up the plate from the dealer. If sold privately you'll still need to make the trip to the DMV to register it. But if there is a TX plate on that car, its yours regardless of where it was purchased from.

Plates are replaced every 7 years, so if you hang onto cars like I do, you get new ones when they send them to you at renewal time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri