Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2016, 10:26 PM

10,019 posts, read 8,621,189 times

Advertisements

Rufus Easton (1774-1834)
First congressional sponsor of federal disaster aid for victims of the New Madrid earthquakes.
Opened the first post office building in St.Louis, close to where the arch stands now.
Accused of being involved in the Aaron Burr conspiracy. Thought about challenging Burr to a duel.
He made history on April 21, 1810 by hand writing the first St.Louis postmark.
Founder of Alton,Illinois.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rufus_Easton

A year after killing Alexander Hamilton in a duel Aaron Burr came to St.Louis and stayed as a guest at General Wilkinson's house who was commander and chief of the United States army and acting governor of Upper Louisiana. They were close friends at the time but Wilkinson ended up snitching to Jefferson about Burr and his scheme and burr fled down the river.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burr_conspiracy

Wiley Post attended aviation school in Kansas City,Missouri.

Wiley Post Makes History - History in the Headlines

Interesting history on Jefferson Barracks

History of Jefferson Barracks « Jefferson Barracks Community Council
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Yeah, I think a lot of us are on so many sites that we just pick up a bit of this here and that there and we come to expect it. Any one of us could just go google away and find this stuff, but I have really enjoyed some of these. I loved the one on Geronimo - the history is fascinating.
After I posted the one on Geronimo I got to thinking about something I read somewhere about when Sitting Bull came to St.Louis with Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show. I didn't write it down so I scrounged around the internet until I found it. I got this from pages that are on the internet from the book "Sitting bull His Life & Legacy" by his great-grandson Ernie Lapointe.

Bill Cody finally got Sitting Bull to join his Wild West Show in 1885 for $125 and $50 each week. They did 15 cities and Sitting bull got to stay in hotels and eat ice cream for the first time. He was billed as the "Killer Of Custer" and was actually attacked in Pittsburgh by the brother of a soldier killed at the Little Big Horn even though Sitting bull was never at the battle. He sold his autographs for two dollars but gave away the money to ragged little white kids begging in the streets. He couldn't figure out how white kids could be so poor and neglected. Their last city was in St.Louis on October 3, 1885. Cody gave him a new hat, a white one with a Monarch butterfly on the front of the hatband. He had been wearing a beaver felt top hat but gave that to an employee at a St.Louis hotel. Here are a couple of links about Sitting bull;

Sitting Bull

Native-American Revitalization | David S Cohen - Academia.edu

Old 04-27-2016, 08:09 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
My favorite point out of that was how Sitting Bull couldn't believe "how white kids could be so poor and neglected." Fascinating information. It's cool that he got to try ice cream.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:26 PM

World's largest fork is in Springfield,Missouri and is 35 feet tall and weighs 11 tons.

World's Largest Fork, Springfield, Missouri

World's largest Amoco sign.

World's Largest Amoco Sign | Atlas Obscura

The first Chinese immigrant in St.Louis was Alla Lee who was born near Shanghai and arrived in 1857. He remained the only Chinese immigrant in St.Louis for 12 years until 250 arrived seeking factory jobs in 1869.

The Nativist Riots Of St.Louis 1854

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/m...e17d1d2d9.html

Ned Buntline, the American writer was arrested twice in St.Louis for his involvement in the 1854 riots.

Old 04-27-2016, 04:42 PM

Ned Buntline, the American writer was arrested twice in St.Louis for his involvement in the 1854 riots.

Early civil rights activism at its best.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:26 AM

Missouri is chock full of history - it really is. Thanks, aliasfinn, for continuing to look up this fascinating information!

Old 04-29-2016, 08:48 PM

The world's tallest rocking chair is 42 feet tall and is in Cuba,Missouri.

Jed Clampett's truck, the 1921 Oldsmobile from the Beverly Hillbillies is in Point Lookout,Missouri. The Ozarks.

You can see a pair of fully dressed fleas under a microscope at the Toy & Miniature museum in Kansas City,Missouri. I bet with all those people eyeballing them those fleas feel like a bug under a microscope.

World's largest pecan made of concrete weighs 12,000 lbs near Brunswick, Missouri.

World's largest goose made of fiberglass is 40 feet tall in Sumner, Missouri.

World's largest gas pump is in King City, Missouri.

Marionville,Missouri claims the title of White Squirrel Capital of the world. Other colonies around the country were started by people stealing white squirrels from Missouri. These days there is a $500 fine for rustling white squirrels in Marionville.

SOME AREA PEOPLE THAT HOLD OR ONCE HELD RECORDS.

Robert Earl Hughes (1926-1958)
Monticello, Missouri
For many years the Guinness Book Of World Records had him listed as the heaviest person on record. Heavy people records are easier to beat these days and it was broken a few times.

Robert Wadlow (1918-1940)
Alton, Illinois
He still holds the record for the tallest human at 8 feet 11.1 inches.

Robert Pershing Wadlow, The tallest man in the world who ever lived

Ella Kate Ewing (1872-1913)
La Grange, Missouri
Probably the tallest woman to come out of Missouri.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ella_Ewing

George Kennedy (1920s)
Chillicothe, Missouri
Claimed to be over 8 feet tall but they think he was actually around 7.2.

Old 04-30-2016, 12:43 PM

Nelle Margaret Hunt (1887-2001)
Golden City, Missouri
She lived her entire life in Missouri. 113 years, 6 months and 10 days.

The first Europeans to set foot in Missouri was Hernando De Soto and his men in 1541 at New Madrid county. He died along the banks of the Mississippi river in either Arkansas or Louisiana.

Famous Barr, Headquartered in St.Louis was the first department store in the United States to have air conditioning.

Some interesting history on the Old Wire Road (Telegraph Road)
It was part of the Trail Of Tears and was used during the civil War.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Wire_Road

Abraham Lincoln's duel 1842

Abraham Lincoln's Duel

Old 04-30-2016, 01:19 PM

PRESIDENTS IN MISSOURI

Benjamin Harrison in St.Joseph, Missouri Oct 10 1890

https://www.coloradohistoricnewspape...DC18901010.2.4#

William Howard Taft St.Louis, Missouri 1904
Before he was president

http://digital.library.louisville.ed...d/id/283/rec/1

Calvin Coolidge Kansas city, Missouri 1926

https://www.theworldwar.org/explore/museum-and-memorial

Teddy Roosevelt and Grover Cleveland in St.Louis, Missouri

MOzark Moments: Theodore Roosevelt in the Missouri Ozarks - RepublicMONews.com : Local History

Roosevelt the first president to fly in a plane while at St.Louis.

Herbert Hoover in St.Louis Nov 4 1932

Herbert Hoover: Address in St. Louis, Missouri.

Warren G Harding St.Louis

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/m...12391d35a.html

Franklin D Roosevelt Kansas city Missouri Oct 13 1936

CAMPAIGN ADDRESS AT KANSAS CITY, MO., 10/13/36

Old 05-01-2016, 01:40 AM

Get your gun and meet me on Bloody Island.

BLOODY ISLAND

Bloody Island – St Louis Patina

https://www.sos.mo.gov/archives/educ...olitical-duels

I can't believe they had a duel from 5 feet away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri