Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 01:55 PM

3 posts, read 13,506 times

Advertisements

Hello, I just moved to Jefferson City last summer and I work in Columbia. I'm wanting to move closer this summer to Columbia but stay in a smaller community. I've always lived in the St. Louis area my whole life so I'm not familiar with any of the smaller towns at all around here.
I have a daughter who will be going into 7th grade this next school year and i've heard both good and bad about Fulton schools. I was seeing that Millersburg is close to Columbia but it's Fulton schools also. I'm not ruling out any of the smaller towns I just don't know anything about them.
People have been giving me their input but i'm looking for more as that is all I can go off of.
I liked the postings that I was seeing here and was hoping for any feed back at all both good and bad. I'm looking to rent but I don't know what the cost of living is going for either. My main concern is a good school for my youngster and a safe neighborhood. Anyone who can give me any input on it I would really appreciate it. Thank you so much for any and all information. The more the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 11:55 AM

16 posts, read 68,218 times
ccgirl - I can't speak to the safety of Fulton, because we live in Columbia. However, my husband taught at Fulton H.S. last year. The building principal there was fabulous, but overall he found that the students and many of the parents in Fulton were completely apathetic. He couldn't even threaten the kids with failing grades, because they just didn't care if they failed! It was a very hard environment to teach in, and I can't imagine that it would be a good environment for a child who actually wants to learn. My husband is much happier teaching in Columbia.

If you like a small town/rural area and want good schools, I've heard great things about Ashland and also Hallsville schools. I've also never heard about any safety issues in those areas, and my guess is that the housing costs (especially in the Hallsville area) would be less expensive than Columbia - at least that's what we found when we were buying our house in Columbia.

Good luck!

Old 03-21-2008, 03:44 PM
TGS

360 posts, read 1,721,715 times
Ashland schools are fine. So are the ones in New Bloomfield.

There are some areas on the outskirts of Columbia that are still in the Columbia school district that you might like. The far southern area around Rock Bridge State Park and the old town of Pierpont are quite nice and don't feel like they are in a city at all. The schools are excellent.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:17 PM

Default thank you

Thanks TGS and afk211 for replying, I really appreciate it. I'm open to any and all information. My kiddo has always been a straight A student so I definitely want to keep her in an area that she can achieve still. She loves a challenge that's for sure. But the neighborhoods are just as important for our safety too so I appreciate the helpful information. Unfortunately, I just don't know enough people who I can go and ask.
I will definitely check all of it out.
thanks again.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:04 PM

47 posts, read 232,045 times
Ashland could be considerd a "bedroom" community of Columbia and Jefferson City, allowing easy commute to either city. More newer housing in newly developed neighborhoods. Community seems to be very supportive of education and their schools. Likewise with Hallsville, they are also a growing community and have proven they support education with the addition of a new school building. I don't think you could go wrong in either community!

Old 04-10-2008, 08:03 AM

Default great info!

Thanks for the Ashland information Jrhartwick, I've heard the schools are great but cost of living is a little higher but I know sometimes you have to pay a little more. This is all great information, I appreciate it.
thanks

Old 06-11-2008, 11:55 AM

7 posts, read 19,074 times
i just moved from millersburg there are alot of houses for sale. i can help you with finding what you are looking for im really familiar with the area ive lived there for 20 years.

Old 06-11-2008, 12:10 PM

millersburg does exist i ive lived there since i was born

Old 06-08-2009, 11:53 PM

i live in millersburg and i work in fulton i was raised and born here so i know it pretty well i could help you find somthing.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,087 times
marrissatomlin007

Hey - could you help me find internet service in millersburg? dsl preferably?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri