Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 08:24 PM

19 posts, read 109,522 times

Advertisements

My husband graduated from Ft Leonrad wood. Its not a big town, but it has what you need to get through the weekend. There are plenty of hotels/motels there that I dont think you would need to stay in Rolla. I was just through there this weekend. As for the weather, you never know whats going to happen around here, I feel like your just better off not knowing what they are predicting and just rolling with it.

Good Luck, Im sure youll have a good time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2006, 08:26 AM

65 posts, read 389,313 times
Default hotels Ft Wood

There are plenty of hotels in and around St Robert and Waynesville which is right off base, do not go to Rolla, which is about 30 minutes up I44 you should be able to stay in one in ST Robert or WAynesville but I would book now graduation weeks the hotels can fill up. Should be able to do a hotel search on google for St Robert or Waynesville hotels.

Since you both are veterans you might check with the military about taking a hop to FT Wood and fly, not sure if they still do this or not but when my father was in the military in the 80s flights were provided cheap to vets by some of the military planes. You might check with some of the bases that would be close to you to see if this is still provided.

My father served for 20 years in the army, we lived 6 of those on base at Ft Wood, I have alot of respect for those men and women in the military, tell your son thanks for serving our nation.

God Bless

Old 01-10-2007, 03:35 AM

3 posts, read 19,301 times
Default Ft Leonardwood Trip

I will also be traveling to Ft Leonardwood for my sons graduation. Sounds like there may not be much in the immediate area as far as dining goes. Thanks for the info. Will check out all of the suggestions.

Old 01-10-2007, 06:43 AM

100 posts, read 494,182 times
Eddy,

My son did the same thing when he went through basic training. If memory serves, the army puts a 100 mile limit on how far you can take the soldier off base.

We cheated, and took our son to St; Louis. Went to the zoo, good food, the Arch, etc. Since you are on I44, its about a 2.5 hour drive.

There are decent restaurants near Leonard Wood (Applbees I think) and Rolla is pretty good sized.

My son just got back after 3 years in Germany, with 2 tours in Iraq. Tell your daughter that we are very proud of her and will pray for her to stay safe.

Randy

Old 01-11-2007, 07:30 AM

65 posts, read 389,313 times
Default Fort Leonard Wood

Home for me is Springfield Missouri, as a kid we lived on Base at Fort Leonard Wood during 2 of my dads tours, we drove I44 to Springfield to come home almost every weekend during those 6 years.

Just thought I would post some specifics, the distance from Ft Wood to Springfield is 81 miles, you can usually make it in an hour and 1/2 2 hours max.

2 suggestions for dining would be Bass Pro as previously mentioned, the buffet is located in Hemingway's and its a great place especially if your daughter likes the outdoors, its a Seafood place but has steaks and chicken and everything on the buffett.

The other place you might try if your in the area would be to take I44 to 65 South about 15 miles to Ozark exit CC and eat at Lamberts home of the throwed rolls, however if time is precious word of warning this place is very busy and its not uncommon to wait an hour or over to be served, its basically home cooking, which may appeal to your daughter if she has been eating army food.

Just some suggestions, however there are lots of places to eat close to Base, my personal favorite is right on the spur called THE HUB, its authentic German cuisine and its just awesome place, we lived in Germany for 3 years and its truly just great German food, there is also a Golden Corral, Ruby Tuesdays, and Applebee's along with most of the fast food chains.

Hope this helps and if I can be of any assistance on the area feel free to email or pm me. My last trip up was last month, I usually try to bring my mom up there once a month for her trip to the commissary and some medical services.

Congratulations on your daughter graduating basic, and thanks goes to her and her class for serving our country.

Darren Stewart

Old 01-31-2007, 04:09 AM

1 posts, read 18,274 times
Default graduation day

Im proud of my son,, hes grad when this month in the 25 to 26 january 2007, it was nice when, i see my son happy to finish hes training ,,and hes company, all the tour form the army base was great and real clean complex,,thanks for all the soldier's to keep this complex nice and welcome, weather was cold and great,,and the hotel's in town clean ,,,well thanks.for the pass, and the trip back home long hrs but full of happines to see my son diferent and happy,,and lots of changes on hem like real men,, great felling ,, to my son thank you for bit, all u do in u trainnig and god bless, u sweet heart, stay healty and safe keep learning , thanks for be ,,,,,,ARMY,,,,,, SON,,,,,,,, GOD BLESS US ,,, thanks all for this forum atte ' edmundo 1 ....dad

Old 02-08-2007, 10:08 AM

8 posts, read 57,884 times
Places to eat near base:
--Sweetwater BBQ - located just off exit 163 - good BBQ, very casual atmosphere
--Chopstix -- Asian food buffet - located just outside the main gate at 220 Missouri Avenue
--Aussie Jack's -- Kind of like an "Outback" - Their Chicken Parmesian is huge and wonderful! - located at exit 161 (same exit you take to get to the main gate) on St. Robert Blvd
--El Jimador -- Mexican - located in the same area as Chopstix - excellent food
--Adonias -- steak & seafood - located at 819 Hwy Z, take exit 161 then make a left on Hwy Z - haven't personally eaten there yet, but have been told it's good so it's on my list to try
--Gary Dowd's Catfish House & BBQ - 1760 W Elm in Lebanon (about 30 minutes west on I-44) -- I haven't personally eaten there yet, but it's on my list!

There are a LOT of places to eat between Rolla (30 minutes east on I-44), St. Robert/Waynesville, and Lebanon (30 minutes west on I-44). The ones I've listed here are either places I've eaten or ones that I've had recommended to me. I'm pretty new to the area, so I'm still finding the good places, too! ;-) And now I'll be adding The Hub to my list to try! Thanks Darren!

Meanwhile, if you're looking for a hotel, you'll want to pick one on St. Robert Blvd or Hwy Z as those are closest to the main gate.

My thoughts and prayers are, as always, with our service men and women.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:50 AM

2 posts, read 29,499 times
Default Parent needs info for August 2007 Grad from Fort Leonard Wood

Hi,
Im Drew's mom. We live in Ohio.
Drew is leaving for Fort Leonard Wood Missouri, June 6, 2007.

His graduation date [ tentative ] is August 11, 2007.

Can anyone give me advice or information on the how to's of making arrangements to be there and where to stay? I understand there are many motels in the town.. but have been told there is a Motel On Base.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Im looking at the most cost effective way to travel and stay on base or in the area.
Kindest Regards,

Drew's Mom

Old 05-18-2007, 12:09 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,360,540 times
Try the following link.

http://www.wood.army.mil/

You will see on the right side lodging. I hope this helps you out some.

I wish your son all the best!

Old 05-18-2007, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 29,499 times
ty tet , I will check it out.. much appreciated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri