Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 10:14 AM

6,818 posts, read 11,548,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
Really? If that is true, then how does the state of Kansas have such good roads throughout the state and how is the state able to build the new roads that it has during the past decade (i.e. new freeways in the Northeast part of the state near Manhattan and Lawrence to Ottawa)?

I do know that gas is higher in Kansas than it is in MO. (for the most part), but even in that case, I don't believe that higher gas prices alone are the reason Kansas has such good roads.
KS DOT (non-turnpike):

http://ksdot.org/PDF_Files/QuickFacts2010.pdf
(scroll to page 14, "All Funds Revenue Sources")

KTA:

http://www.ksturnpike.com/assets/upl...ochure_WEB.pdf
(page 2, "The KTA has never received any federal or state tax dollars")

Missouri's roads aren't the greatest - but they have improved greatly in the past few years. If you want to see some BAD roads, I suggest driving in Oklahoma or Arkansas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2014, 07:54 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbe10 View Post
I do know that gas is higher in Kansas than it is in MO. (for the most part), but even in that case, I don't believe that higher gas prices alone are the reason Kansas has such good roads.
Looks like the Kansas gas tax is 40% higher than Missouri's. That's a pretty huge difference.

Old 06-05-2014, 08:48 AM

662 posts, read 1,228,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Looks like the Kansas gas tax is 40% higher than Missouri's. That's a pretty huge difference.
It may be a big percentage difference but in absolute numbers the difference in gasoline taxes is only 6.7 cents per gallon (25 cents/gallon vs 17.3 cents/gallon.) You're as likely to see as much or more of a difference in price simply depending on what gas station you shop at regardless of which side of State Line Road you're on. The same is true with diesel fuel taxes as well as there is a 9.7 cent/gallon difference between the two states. It's not like you are in California where you pay about 30 cents more a gallon in state gasoline taxes.

Old 06-06-2014, 05:44 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
California has the highest gas tax in the nation and their roads are a laughable joke of an embarrassment. I don't care what direction you're coming in from you can tell when you cross the border by the lousy road maintenance.

In contrast, our roads are very well kept by an underfunded MODOT. We'll vote YES because we're confident it will be money well spent and there's a bit of state pride in the mix as well.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:37 AM

367 posts, read 765,855 times
I get it, they want voters to give themselves a higher tax for discretionary road building and repairs. I'd like to see tax credits expire, commercial registration prices increase (they're on the road more) and a higher diesel gasoline tax. An 18 wheeler tears up asphalt roads way more than my four or two wheeled modes of transportation.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:29 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
I have never understood why Missourians are so against funding their roads. The state has one of the largest road systems with one of the lowest gas taxes. Stop being so cheap MO. If voters keep turning down these tax increases, MoDot will eventually throw in the towel and MO's roads will rapidly deteriorate back to what they were in the 80's and 90's.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:03 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,018,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I have never understood why Missourians are so against funding their roads. The state has one of the largest road systems with one of the lowest gas taxes. Stop being so cheap MO. If voters keep turning down these tax increases, MoDot will eventually throw in the towel and MO's roads will rapidly deteriorate back to what they were in the 80's and 90's.
I just drove through a huge stretch of Illinois - not sure what they are doing with their road funds - but the roads stink. Must be lining the pockets of dirty pols and their cronies.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:11 AM

10,020 posts, read 8,638,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I just drove through a huge stretch of Illinois - not sure what they are doing with their road funds - but the roads stink. Must be lining the pockets of dirty pols and their cronies.
Plenty of holes in the roads but obviously no holes in their pockets.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:24 PM

2,374 posts, read 2,763,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Raise the gas tax instead. Once the sales tax money gets anywhere near the General Fund, God knows what sort of social program they'll find to spend it on.

This. The gasoline tax is one of the fairest taxes as it associates the burden with the benefit.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:57 PM

396 posts, read 653,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Not against funding - but there are 2 things that make this thing stink -

1 - MODOT - time and again has proved itself incompetent and a poor steward of what it has to work with, from the lunacy of highway 65 from Springfield to Branson, the idiotic idea that all metros greater than 10,000 people needs to be connected by 4 lane divided highway, to the ridiculous Page Ave extension.

Time and again MODOT who could have been setting money aside for maintenance, instead they differed policy to developers, construction industry interests, out of state trucking companies, politicians wanting to bring pork home, and bad ideas from traffic engineers. Fix your process then we can talk about funding.

2 - Make the people who use it pay for it - Tolls and gas taxes (this proposal has the gall to ban tolls)

I did not make you move 25 miles from the employment center - I do not need to subsidize your commute -

Trucking companies roll through the state add very little economic activity - make them pay

Transportation is not a means to an end nor a cornerstone of an economy - highways do not create jobs
(at least not local ones)

We need to improve infrastructure - yes - But this thing has stink all over it - Kill it dead
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri