U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 06:55 AM

1,959 posts, read 4,821,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
In all seriousness: Should you decide against Mo because of the CHANCE of a tornado. Well; you are making a big mistake.IMO
We have not given up on MO yet Still considering it if our property here in communisfornia ever sells.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2006, 10:16 AM

5 posts, read 35,348 times
I moved here from Michigan 17 years ago, and tornados terrified me. trust me though, we only have tornado warnings once or twice a summer around here usually.

If you have a basement that should be sufficient, and a weather radio. When they do hit, the damage path can be extensive or very small. When you hear about a tornado in the Northland for example, it might not even be raining where I live on the south side of town. It is not like they take the entire town out.

In that 17 years we have only had two tornados that touched down in the Metro that are even worth talking about. One took out a Dodge dealer (and nothing around it- talk about the finger of God) and the other took many homes and killed one person in Kansas City Kansas. There were some straight line winds once that destroyed parts of a neighborhood. That has pretty much been all the damage I can remember since 1989!

Not bad odds if you ask me.

Old 10-31-2006, 03:10 PM

339 posts, read 1,319,155 times
You are much much more likely to be killed or injured on the road going to work. The fear of tornados is overblown (bad pun). I've seen tornado damage first hand and I live in a home that does not have a basement. We moved to the center of the house on the two occassions we have had tornados close enough to warrant concern. Only one of those times actually warranted true concern. The other, the tornado was several miles from us.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:19 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,244,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarks21 View Post
You are much much more likely to be killed or injured on the road going to work. The fear of tornados is overblown (bad pun). I've seen tornado damage first hand and I live in a home that does not have a basement. We moved to the center of the house on the two occassions we have had tornados close enough to warrant concern. Only one of those times actually warranted true concern. The other, the tornado was several miles from us.
I know what you mean Ozarks. My only scare was the nights of March 12/13th of this past Spring. I'm too far out to hear the sirens, but I knew from the mugginess and the sky growling that I needed to keep the KY3 Storm Center on and check periodically. There was a warning issued about 1:00 am on the 13th and that particular tornado was supposedly going past Willard and up to Pleasant Hope (I'm in Greene Cnty, but my address says Pleasant Hope, right by Ebenezer). When the winds got really violent with the horizontal sheets of rain...I got worried and went into the innermost closet and covered myself up with sleeping bags. That turned out to be a miss thank goodness, but it was scary and so far my only real scare.

Old 10-31-2006, 08:36 PM

6,046 posts, read 22,151,595 times
Question Three questions

1. Exactly how much warning do you get when a tornado is coming?
2. How are you warned of an approaching tornado? (TV, radio, sirens?)
3. Is tornado insurance for your home very expensive to purchase?

Old 10-31-2006, 09:42 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,244,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
1. Exactly how much warning do you get when a tornado is coming?
2. How are you warned of an approaching tornado? (TV, radio, sirens?)
3. Is tornado insurance for your home very expensive to purchase?
Usually there's a "watch" established first and that means that conditions are favorable for possible tornado formation. That information appears in a little corner screen that will appear to the side of the channel on television you're watching along with a moving message like subtitles at the bottom of the screen. The little corner screen will show a geographic representation of the area of the state you're in with the counties outlined and the cities named. There will be color-coding so you can see which counties are under which warning or watch if any. If a tornado is actually visually sighted, or, radar echoes catch a hook formation that is often indicative of a tornado forming or actually existing then it goes red and into a warning. At that point if you're in a town the sirens go off. They're DEAFENING. If you're in the country, the tv will keep you informed, including frequent radar images of supercells and their tracks and projected tracks and where the cells are going to be in five minutes, ten minutes, fifteen minutes, etc., and there will be constant live coverage from the weather centers of the channels you're watching. The radio stations will sound the alarm as well.
Regular home insurance will usually cover tornadoes as well as fire and storm damage. Just remember it will not cover floods.

Old 11-01-2006, 08:18 AM

8 posts, read 27,826 times
Default Still scares me

I have lived here for 7 or 8 years, and I'm STILL terrified of tornadoes. Everyone is right. We don't get them too often, but the numbers do seem to be increasing. Last March was pretty scary for me, too. A tornado came pretty close to my neighborhood---close enough to hear it. Luckily, it was over the lake, so there wasn't any real damage other than what it was spitting out from it's previous land venture.

I have a house with a basement. When we bought a house this time, it was one of my requirements. But, that's just me. The chances of getting hit are pretty slim, and you do have sufficient warning if you're near town. At night, there's no way the sirens are loud enough to wake me due to my location, but I pay for Weather Alert from the Weather channel. They call when a warning is issued. The one's that hit at night are the worst because most people are unprepared. The service is 9.99. Worth it to me, especially in the Spring.

Old 11-01-2006, 08:22 AM

8 posts, read 27,826 times
Default Still scares me

I have lived here for 7 or 8 years, and I'm STILL terrified of tornadoes. Everyone is right. We don't get them too often, but the numbers do seem to be increasing. Last March was pretty scary for me, too. A tornado came pretty close to my neighborhood---close enough to hear it. Luckily, it was over the lake, so there wasn't any real damage other than what it was spitting out from it's previous land venture.

I have a house with a basement. When we bought a house this time, it was one of my requirements. But, that's just me. The chances of getting hit are pretty slim, and you do have sufficient warning if you're near town. At night, there's no way the sirens are loud enough to wake me due to my location, but I pay for Weather Alert from the Weather channel. They call when a warning is issued. The one's that hit at night are the worst because most people are unprepared. The service is 9.99. Worth it to me, especially in the Spring.

Old 11-01-2006, 03:02 PM

6,046 posts, read 22,151,595 times
What's better to do, go into your basement, or get into your car and drive in the opposite direction?

Old 11-01-2006, 03:31 PM

11,702 posts, read 11,062,131 times
Get in your basement. Don't be terrified of tornados but don't do things that might kill you.

Example: Just before a tornado arrives it will be very still and calm. Then you start to get wind big time plus other weather changes like rain coming down in sheets so thick you cannot see etc. What would you do if a tree crashed down on the road in front of you and the road is blocked? That leaves you in a car. This is Mo but the phrase "Dorothy; you are not in Ks anymore" could come into effect.
All this tornado horror talk is not to be ignored. Just don't let it go to your head with fear of the unknown.
I have seen a F-5 "FINGER OF GOD" and lived around here all my life. Don't mess with tornados but don't be a walking on eggs about it either. We have very good weather stations around here and you can buy a weather radio for about $30.00 at man grocery stores that will keep you well informed. I think it is regional for most of us with our fears. I don't want anything to do with an earthquake. Y
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri