U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 03:42 PM

11,699 posts, read 11,056,700 times

Advertisements

Get in your basement. Don't be terrified of tornados but don't do things that might kill you.

Example: Just before a tornado arrives it will be very still and calm. Then you start to get wind big time plus other weather changes like rain coming down in sheets so thick you cannot see etc. What would you do if a tree crashed down on the road in front of you and the road is blocked? That leaves you in a car. This is Mo but the phrase "Dorothy; you are not in Ks anymore" could come into effect.
All this tornado horror talk is not to be ignored. Just don't let it go to your head with fear of the unknown.
I have seen a F-5 "FINGER OF GOD" and lived around here all my life. Don't mess with tornados but don't be a walking on eggs about it either. We have very good weather stations around here and you can buy a weather radio for about $30.00 at man grocery stores that will keep you well informed. I think it is regional for most of us with our fears. I don't want anything to do with an earthquake. You cannot get away from an earthquake and then you have those aftershocks. People have told me that most earthquakes are very small and no big deal. We people from Mo feel kinda the same way about tornados.
IMO most injuries and deaths occur from people that were unaware that a tornado was possible or was coming because they just were not paying attention or ignored the signs developing. Do not just keep cruising up the freeway and heading into what is apparently bad weather up ahead. Turn on your radio and get some local weather instead of just listening to your favorite CD. Just use common sense and you will be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2006, 07:19 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,242,566 times
Good advice Versatile. I had taken my mom to Branson to look around and hit the outlet malls ( a HUGE disappointment fyi... lower prices? My a$$). Anyway, it was sunny and nice there. As I drove us back to Springfield and we came down from the slopes so that we could see ten plus miles in the distance, it was clear a major storm was developing and it looked like it was over Springfield from where we were. It was black, huge, like an anvil, and it was horizon to horizon with poor visibility which clearly indicated heavy rain up ahead. It made me decide to get off of 65 as soon as we entered Springfield and take surface streets while I switched to the radio station for weather. This was in June and the rain that fell moments later was biblical with the streets along Glenstone Ave. flooding. You just never know and never drive carelessly into what looks like bad weather. If it had been dark, I'd not have seen it and run full force right into it.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:46 PM

3 posts, read 7,118 times
Default tornadoes

i have lived in tornado alley (kansas) for 30+ years and now live in central illinois. kansas has the F3's to F5's and i swear some of them should have been rated F10's........we survived them all!!! best bet is to go to basement or most inner part of your house - away from windows as well as the outer most walls of your home.....never drive or chase a tornado much less a storm! if you find yourself driving and there's a tornado warning, get out of the car and go lay in a ditch away from power poles, lie as flat as you can with no air between you and the ground and at the same time cover your head......if you're in a mobile home of any sorts, get out!!! tornadoes are very scary, dangerous, and most of all unpredictable!!! but to let the fear of a tornado say where you live is wrong! don't let fear of anything determine where you want to live at! the radio stations as well as the tv stations do pretty good job at keeping all informed. when there's a watch, probably about 50 percent of the time you might get a tornado, either way, even if there's a watch in or near the county you live in, just keep your eyes on the skies and tv and your ears to the tv/radio.....just because a county is in a watch while the next county over is not, you still want to be well prepared. i go over a torando drill of sorts with my 6 year old and he knows where to go if there's even a watch out. it's a very good idea to do tornado drills at home as well as fire drills. that way the child(ren) will know what to do in either situation! for the most part though, it's not like a daily basis (sometimes it seems that way and at times it very may well be a daily thing with tornadoes for a while) but never let the fear of anything keep you from doing something good!

Old 12-05-2006, 01:38 PM

339 posts, read 1,318,930 times
When we have tornado warnings around here, I usually go out in the front yard and look for it with all my foolhardy neighbors (usually men).

Old 12-05-2006, 02:58 PM

3 posts, read 7,118 times
that's what my dad used to do and us kids would be in the basement freaking out and crying afraid he was gonna get blown away! now i go chase them with my husband since we're on the fire dept.....i still get scared and turn white as a ghost while my husband laughs at me......lol.....here in central illinois though it's basically your F1's through F3's but mostly F1's and F2's what i call "baby tornados!" around here they haven't seen enough or even got a clue of what F4's and F5's can really do to consider any tornado too dangerous and i'm beginning to think they all think i'm full of it when i tell them stories of the F4's & F5's i've been through until they see it on the weather channel and then they start listening to me through that tornado season then the next year i have to start all over again with them all seems like! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri