Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 09:17 PM

620 posts, read 1,232,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
What was being discussed truly is an anomaly for Missouri.
For sure. The St. Louis accent is like nowhere else in Missouri. As soon as I hear someone from St Louis talk I can tell they are from St Louis or a suburb of Stl. They sound very different and have a northern sounding accent. Nowhere else in Missouri does anyone else talk like that. I have a keen ear for accents so not sure if everyone else can pick up on the Stl accent like I can. I actually helped a lady today at work who told me she lived in Branson but had just moved here from St. Louis. I said..."you don't have a St. Louis accent." She informed me she isn't actually from Stl. I can tell you at least to my ears the St Louis accent is quite significant and easy to hear!!! The accent is different than Kansas City or even areas north of St. Louis!!! I hear the accent just as much if not more in the younger people from there too. Of course they probably think I sound like a hillbilly!!!

Last edited by imbored198824; 11-19-2014 at 09:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 04:45 PM

272 posts, read 380,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
What is *both* midwest? Nobody here is saying that Missouri isn't midwestern, but if you think Sikeston is midwestern and not southern, then you really don't know what you are talking about.

I like MOKAN's posts because he is actually adding to the discussion and is interested in it, rather than pushing an agenda. I love this topic but I am also interested in others.

Good post. About the Indiana thing, I don't know how culturally southern they are, but I went to southeast Indiana a few months ago. Along I-65 near Louisville in Indiana, there were definitely some people that were talking like Kentuckians. It would be interesting to know if they were from Kentucky or Indiana. I wasn't there long enough to learn any more about the place. Southeast Indiana didn't have people talking like that, and it definitely wasn't culturally southern.
Yes, I do know what I am talking about. Missouri isn't southern, neither is the community of Sikestown.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahlee boy View Post
Yes, I do know what I am talking about. Missouri isn't southern, neither is the community of Sikestown.
Actually you have no idea what you're taking about of you don't think sikeston is a typical southern town. That's what it is. Sikeston is 100% southern. Have you ever been there?

Last edited by imbored198824; 11-20-2014 at 06:32 PM..

Old 11-20-2014, 06:14 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,724 times
Quote:
You are right, Missouri isn't southern. Too bad for you that isn't what this thread is about, because it is about the cities listed in the first post of the thread. About Sikeston, you ain't got a clue and it's obvious since you can't even spell the name of the town correctly.

Please tell me how a non-suburban town of 16,000 that has a 25% black population surrounded by cotton and rice fields can be considered culturally part of the midwest. I won't hold my breath.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:35 PM

Quote:
You are right, Missouri isn't southern. Too bad for you that isn't what this thread is about, because it is about the cities listed in the first post of the thread. About Sikeston, you ain't got a clue and it's obvious since you can't even spell the name of the town correctly.

Please tell me how a non-suburban town of 16,000 that has a 25% black population surrounded by cotton and rice fields can be considered culturally part of the midwest. I won't hold my breath.
Throw in a huge majority of the population being baptist. Southern accents. Southern food...people generalize too much and forget state lines do NOT necessarily follow cultural lines.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:27 PM

30 posts, read 50,063 times
Quote:

Then you have people on this forum who call the Bootheel the Boothill lol.

And you know the entire state isn't southern. About 25 percent is Southern, and the other 25 percent is a mix like southern IN and IL and other 50 is pure midwestern. We have been over this before.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:20 AM

194 posts, read 240,511 times
Quote:
Lol have you ever been there? Sikeston, not Sikestown, is very Southern in every single manner.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball freak View Post
Lol have you ever been there? Sikeston, not Sikestown, is very Southern in every single manner.
True. The southern quarter of the state is southern, north of that is a transition zone like southern IN. Sikeston is well within that southern quarter.

Old 11-22-2014, 03:19 PM

194 posts, read 240,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
Throw in a huge majority of the population being baptist. Southern accents. Southern food...people generalize too much and forget state lines do NOT necessarily follow cultural lines.
Southern accents don't dominate the state. Southern food is really only popular in the Southern parts of the state. Southern Baptists are an anomaly but Missouri has a much larger Catholic population than all Southern states save Louisiana, which is Catholic for very unique reasons. Missouri also has Germans as the dominant ancestry in the majority of the state and the agriculture for the most part resembles the Midwest. Climatologically the state is split.

Old 11-22-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball freak View Post
Southern accents don't dominate the state. Southern food is really only popular in the Southern parts of the state. Southern Baptists are an anomaly but Missouri has a much larger Catholic population than all Southern states save Louisiana, which is Catholic for very unique reasons. Missouri also has Germans as the dominant ancestry in the majority of the state and the agriculture for the most part resembles the Midwest. Climatologically the state is split.

One other thing though is politics at the state level resembles some of the southern states when compared to WI, IA, MN, IL, OH, NE and such, MO seems to be more right wing while the other midwest states seem to be more moderate Republicans. Missouri Republicans are pretty far to the right when compared to OH for example. Even IN Republicans seem to not be as far right on some issues. When it comes to firearms laws, abortion and such MO is really going to the right lately.

Even at the state level the Democrats in MO are not as liberal like Chris Koster and Jay Nixon for example are more conservative than other states Democrats to the north

While MO is considered in the midwest by most today the religion aspect, and political one certainly has some southern components to it still left over from the past that sets it apart from other midwest states. While the southern accents, food might not be there as much some of the influence still remains in other places.

It will be interesting this upcoming leg session in Jefferson City how much more right it goes. The Democrats took a slaughtering last election. Jefferson County to my south that usually leans democrat, or is swing area went heavily Republican with the shocker being Roorda losing the senate. Roorda is a conservative Democrat so I figured he was going to win still.

I hope more stuff gets done. We need no permit concealed carry. I'd like to see that the next step to ram it on through with the super majorities as a priority.

now the southern, and non southern a good debate would be Florida. How would one classify that? I lived in SWFL for 11 years and returned this year for a bit and FL has really changed. North of Orlando there is a lot of southern places especially in rural areas, south of Orlando very little southern culture except for some small patches. I rarely ever heard a southern accent in Southwest FL when I lived there. One of the few times is when I had a teacher in Middle School from KY who had a thick hickish accent and everyone thought it was funny. Heck many parts of Florida I feel like I'm not even in the United States but in Mexico or Cuba. That would be a state to debate about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri