Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 12:12 AM

5 posts, read 6,219 times

Advertisements

I'm gonna come right out and say it- I'm an aethiest. My boyfriend is a devout Baptist and wants to stay reasonably close to his family in Oklahoma, so leaving the Bible Belt isn't an option for me. Missouri seems like the best state around, but there's a few things I want to know: how religious are you guys (will 'the good Lord' be brought up often, and everywhere) and, also, how country is this state? Are cowboy boots the main accessory, and will I have to endure country music wherever I go? Thanks, and sorry if I'm offending anyone. I really don't mean to, promise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2014, 08:45 AM

194 posts, read 240,904 times
I'd recommend sticking to the rural areas or the cities in the Southern part of the state.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:49 AM

1,773 posts, read 2,677,577 times
Really? The obvious answer is it depends where you live. Major metros like St. Louis (almost 3 million people) and Kansas City (over 2 million) (neither are in the bible belt btw) are going to be pretty different than a small town in the countryside which will also of course vary a lot as the state is a transition state (far southern parts are southern, then a transition zone, the rest is midwestern). Where are you two thinking of moving?

Old 11-27-2014, 08:50 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,749,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball freak View Post
I'd recommend sticking to the rural areas or the cities in the Southern part of the state.
WHAT!? No, you'll want to stick to St. Louis, Kansas City, and Columbia for sure. Avoid southern MO at all costs.

Old 11-27-2014, 08:54 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,267,796 times
Well, if your boyfriend wants devout Baptist territory, he will find anywhere that south of Springfield. But you wouldn't like it there. Kansas City or St. Louis would suit you better. How did an atheist end up with a devout Baptist?

Old 11-27-2014, 09:03 AM

5 posts, read 6,219 times
I don't know why, but the Springfield area sounded pleasant to me. What's that area like?

Old 11-27-2014, 10:01 PM

620 posts, read 1,233,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alys Volat Proprys View Post
I don't know why, but the Springfield area sounded pleasant to me. What's that area like?
Springfield is the headquarters for the Assemblies of God church. Lots of baptists as well. It is a good sized city though with a variety of people living there. Basically apart from the landscape sw Missouri isn't that different from anywhere in Oklahoma. Basically conservative and religious.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:57 AM

30 posts, read 50,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
Springfield is the headquarters for the Assemblies of God church. Lots of baptists as well. It is a good sized city though with a variety of people living there. Basically apart from the landscape sw Missouri isn't that different from anywhere in Oklahoma. Basically conservative and religious.
True. But once you get out of Greene County to the South and deeper into SW MO those counties are extremely conservative and very heavily Republican.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:29 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,098,308 times
The area I live in is very religious IMO, but I'm an east coast transplant so I've got a bit of a different perspective. Seems to get more religious the further south of highway 54 you go.

Yes almost everyone I interact with attends church but not all interject God into conversation regularly; in fact most do not. But it does come up. I consider myself spiritual but not religious; it doesn't bother me when people do this but I generally just don't respond to it. Very few people are pushy about their religion. It's really sort of the opposite of what I expected when I moved here. I thought people would be annoyingly pushy but actually for the most part my observation has been that if I'm not a member of their church or want to go to their church, then they aren't too interested in sharing that part of their lives with me.

Country music - certainly popular but their are plenty of pop music stations, rock stations, and rock bands or rock/country bands. In my experience it is much better here than in the south in that sense; when I've been in southern VA or NC the country music is inescapable.

Cowboy boots - yes everyone has them here. Except me. Sorry but I just haven't assimilated enough to go there yet. lol

I live an hour north of Springfield and went to MSU. I like Springfield pretty well. There's plenty to do. People are nice and diversity is generally well-tolerated. And it's an easy trip to St. Louis or Kansas City if you want all those things a city would offer.

Old 11-30-2014, 06:56 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alys Volat Proprys View Post
Springfield might suit the two of you well. Plenty of Baptist churches in and around the city while trying to become more "progressive," "celebrating its diversity" et al. Meanwhile, cowboy boots are hardly de rigueur.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri