U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 08:19 AM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 4,920,990 times

Advertisements

I moved here from out west 13 years ago and have lived and visited extensively in several small towns surrounding Springfield. I currently live in Hollister, right by Table Rock Lake and near Branson.
It depends on what you're looking for, but I would definitely check out the school systems, ask other "newcomers" what kind of reception their kids get from the locals. Some of these small towns are wonderful and friendly like Mayberry USA, and some are mean-spirited and clique-y.
It is fun to be near the lake and the "tourist" stuff, and you really need to think about how far you want to drive to a grocery store at 10pm when you remembered you have to make a cake for tomorrow and you're out of eggs!
When I was trying to decide, I took my tent and spent 2-3 days camping in one of the local parks and sitting in the diners and talking to people.
Have fun with it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2007, 01:57 PM

944 posts, read 3,687,403 times
Looks like your area is getting freezing rain today, and it could last a couple days. Maybe power is down in some areas. Anyone online from SW Missouri today (1/13/07) ?

Old 04-23-2007, 08:20 PM

7 posts, read 32,481 times
Default Come to Neosho, we would welcome you wiht open arms

I am sorry I just found your post about moving to Southwest Missouri. I hope you are still thinking about moving. I would like to encourage you to strongly consider Neosho. Neosho is a very friendly town and we are in the beginning stages of a revitalization effort. There are a lot of exciting things happening here. In Neosho, you get the benefit of living in a small community, with the friendliest people, low cost land, and plentiful jobs. You also get the benefit of being 35 minutes from Bentonville and the tremendous shopping in NW Arkansas, without the hassle of having to deal with the traffic on a daily basis and the increased crime.

In short, you could not find a better place to live, come visit us and see what you think! Best wishes and I hope to see you soon, in Neosho!

Old 04-25-2007, 09:38 AM

1,238 posts, read 4,118,297 times
Small town news from Carthage: Since our school bond issue passed, we are now in the process of building a brand-new high school. This will allow us to move our grades around, relieving the overcrowded conditions in some of the grade schools. Also, Precious Moments is no longer a major player. From what information I can gather, most of the attraction is closed down. What will become of the Chapel, I don't know. Does anyone else have more information? We are also building a brand-new local hospital, which will offer more services than in the past. The new Home Depot is doing a thriving business, and Walgreen's offers a nice alternative to Wal-mart for small items. Wal-mart is a mess right now as they are moving all their stock to a new floorplan. Roffman's farms is open, looks like they are selling hanging baskets and other greenhouse items until the local produce is ready. Home grown tomatoes, I can't wait! The Carthage class of 1987 (including me) will have our reunion at the newly renovated Memorial Hall. I haven't been in yet, but I hear it's nice. We're having a hotdog picnic in Municipal Park on Fri. night, since the Jasper County Youth Fair will be in full swing-the Fair Committee is still trying to line up a carnival, but there will be lots of animals and vendors. I think renovation of the fairgrounds is due to start next year....on a more somber note, a local doctor was indicted for hiding income from the IRS. Ain't small town life grand?

Old 04-25-2007, 12:20 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,319,936 times
The reason hispanics in Monett were mentioned is because they have, unfortunately, trashed certain areas of the town where they concentrate. In Monett there is a history of drunkenness and violation of the law by the hispanic community. They have also turned what used to be an exceptional city park into a 'no-go" area for many of the local residents on weekends, unless they like loud noise, drunks and what many would consider to be anti-social behaviour. I could go on. I grew up there, I have relatives still living there. There is considerable tension, not because they are hispanic, not because they pay taxes (some don't), not because they work hard (some don't), but because some of them are a nuisance, and some of them are dangerous.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:43 PM

54 posts, read 281,697 times
I don't mind the Hispanics. Really, I don't.

The Ice Storm: I live in Seligman, which is 30 Miles south of Monett riding shotgun on the Arkansas/Missouri state line. Our power never went out once, although it did flicker a bit. Washburn (next town north on the highway) lost power for 6 hours, Cassville (next one north) lost power for 1 night, and most everywhere north of there lost power for a week. Monett was without power for 5-6 days. The Ice up there just sagged the line because they got colder wind temps than we did. Most of Seligman's ice ended up on the Roadways, causing a few accidents.

Taxes are low here, and the gas prices around here are among, if not THE lowest in the Nation. earlier today at Ruby's in Seligman it was 2.69 for regular, and in Cassville it was 2.64. Monett has 2 Casey's General Stores that sell the 10% ethanol Blend.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:05 AM

75,643 posts, read 88,385,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzy View Post
Carthage and Monett are both decent towns for their size, compared to other towns in this area of that size.

Carthage might be better because its closer to medical facilities and shopping, which are located both in Carthage and 20 mins away in Joplin. Plus I think its a nice town, lots of nice old houses. Lots of old money there.

Monett is smaller and more isolated than Carthage is. There are also a lot of hispanics moving into that area, mostly to work in the poultry plants.

Joplin is the largest town in that area, but I dont personally care for it. A bit bland and too many run-down areas for my tastes.

Hope this helps. I live in Springfield, which is quite a bit bigger than you might like.

Neosho is another town to check out. Also a little town called Seneca, which is a few miles south of Joplin pretty much on the Oklahoma border, is worth checking out. I thought it was a nice quaint little place.
We just returned from a week long trip looking into living in NW Ar or NE OK, but after realizing how close they are to MO we have decided to give Mo a look as well. It seems the taxes are lower. I am glad you mentioned Neosho cause that is one place we would like to consider.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri