Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 01:52 PM

300 posts, read 348,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amerikrainian View Post

Speaking of negativity... Anyway, I'm not the Duggars, but it's clear that they don't keep their kids away from non-Christians. They have gone on mission trips around the world, and serve in many ways. I think it's safe to assume, for instance, that your school never took homemade cookies to your local police department to say "Thanks for all you do".
I hate to say this, but that sounds very contradictory. When you go on a mission trip, you are converting those who are not Christian to be Christians. You are not really learning anything about those who are not.

Also, reasons for homeschooling is alot different than it was years ago. Now, it is more than half of families who do it to perform religious indoctrination and moral instruction as found by the Department of Education. That is the reason why I would be concerned for those who get home schooled.

Statistics About Non-Public Education in the United States
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 09:25 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94buickcentury View Post
I hate to say this, but that sounds very contradictory. When you go on a mission trip, you are converting those who are not Christian to be Christians. You are not really learning anything about those who are not.

Also, reasons for homeschooling is alot different than it was years ago. Now, it is more than half of families who do it to perform religious indoctrination and moral instruction as found by the Department of Education. That is the reason why I would be concerned for those who get home schooled.

Statistics About Non-Public Education in the United States
That's pretty much the point I was arguing. Homeschooling, in a lot of cases, is nothing more than "selective education". They figure they can teach little Jimmy about Jesus and his teachings, but leave out sex education, evolution, and anything deemed non-religious.

Of course, they will always argue that they are homeschooling for other reasons. But in reality isn't nothing more than educating to misinform.

A friend does interviews for Cisco and he says that the majority of applicants who were homeschooled are awkward socially and do not align educationally with their peers.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:52 PM

100 posts, read 195,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
There are lot of famous people who were homeschooled, but you'll notice that most people on that list were homeschooled 60 years ago or more.
This does not mean that it was a bad system. Many homeschoolers don't simply teach their own children. They set up groups with other parents sharing in the teaching responsibilities.

Quote:
Look at that Duggar 95 kid family from TV for example... Do you think they teach their kids using a well-rounded curriculum?

I do think the Duggars are well rounded. What you fail to see is that if along with teaching their kids a core curriculum (which there is no evidence that they don't) they teach religion. So the fact that religion is part of their studies is irrelevant. It's an afterthought at best, and not a indictment of parents failing to teach their kids.

Quote:
At least if those Duggar kids were to go to public school, their mind would only be poisoned at home and no where else.
What teaching is poison is subjective. Obviously you have a problem with Christianity. Unfortunately that is common among educators these days. And yet another reason to home school. How are you with other religions?

Quote:
The majority of homeschoolers I know personally do it to keep their kids away from "negativity" when what they really mean is non-Christians.
I don't think it is so much non-Christians as it is school violence, bullies, overcrowded clases, inept teachers that can't be fired, infringements on a parent's rights and a general decline the moral atmosphere of our schools. There is also the growing intolerance of religious freedom, restriction of free thought, dietary restrictions. Many, Christians and non-Christians alike, oppose the political philosophies that have dominated academia.

Quote:
Would a stay at home mom be a better teacher than someone with a degree in math, English, science, etc? I am certified to teach in one area, but the thought of me having to teach math or science... Well, no...
Quite a sexist view of the stay at home mom no? Are stay at home moms not educated? Are they incapable of learning what is required to teach? We don't teach rocket science in elementary or secondary levels. And finally, stay at home moms have been proving your concerns wrong for many years now.

Quote:
My parents are great (but not all are), but have no knowledge of math beyond what they use on a daily basis, literature, science, art, or foreign language. I'm sure many other parents are like this too. I guess I don't see how a stay at home mom is any better than a teacher with a minimum of a BA degree in the field, unless private tutors are used.
I think you put too much faith in teachers and too little faith in parents to do what it takes to teach their own children (who they love much more than any teach will). Here in Texas, I, a person with a post-graduate professional degree, cannot teach because I don't have a teaching certificate, yet a person with a 4 year degree (any degree) with a teaching certificate can get a job over me. So I wonder if the certificate demonstrates the level of ability to teach or if it serves as a barrier to entrance. Many stay at home moms have some college education or degree. And let's just say she only has a high school degree. Has she not been taught anything? Has she not learned the very subjects that she will be teaching to her children? And furthermore, the fact is that there are plenty of aids out there to teach her what she needs to put together a curriculum.

Quote:
I guess if the parents make a better teacher than a certified teacher, they make a better dentist or doctor to their children too.
I think most parents have better motives. They care more than tenured teachers. Teachers deal with classes of other people's problems. No one wants a child to succeed more than a parent. And it should be up to the parent how to go about that. And yes, I believe some parents are better teachers than teachers. I think that the results bear that out as well.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:37 PM

I'd like to leave this comment here...

Most adults, when asked to identify someone who impacted their life, name a teacher before a parent. Sure, there are bad teachers, but they are in the minority.

In regards to the degree, I do agree that some states have ridiculous requirements for teaching. I had a bachelor's and master's degree in an area, but was not able to begin teaching before taking 6 more teaching classes. After taking these classes, I understood why. They taught me about classroom management, and the legal side of teaching, especially when dealing with special education students.

I'm not saying that a parent cannot be a good teacher. However, it would be difficult for MOST parents to teach their children once they reach high school age.

Most homeschoolers claim they do it to protect their kids from "bullies, overcrowded clases, inept teachers" but most of it is probably because of religion. If they could afford to send the kids to a religious private school, they would. Since they cannot afford it, homeschooling has to work. I'm not picking on Christianity, I'm just using it as an example because the majority of homeschoolers are devout Christians.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:00 PM

If it were a fact that most adults would identify a teacher over a parent as having been an impact on their lives...I'd say that is an argument for home teaching. One of the biggest problems with our country today is that parents have simply outsourced the education of their children to the public school system.

There is no doubt that, despite billions being spent, our public school system is not yielding a high ROI. Talented students are held back with less talented to disruptive students. Teachers are less and less capable of administering discipline in class rooms. Respect for teachers is at an all time low. Students are taught to learn but are instructed on how to pass standardized tests. And don't get me started on Common Core.

And if a person wants to give their child a religious education I don't see the problem with that. I wouldn't have a problem with an atheist teaching their child at home. Why not offer those 6 extra classes to parents if they'd like the equivalent to a teaching certificate? Have a private company offer a credentialed class like they do for a real estate agent's license, except it would be voluntary? I believe that as it is there are classes offered for parents to learn to be better teachers.

I think parents are wise enough to determine if they are able to teach the higher grades. I say have more faith in the individual. One of the major problems in our country is our mythical belief that government knows better than the individual. I say...support diversity...of thought.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:08 PM

83 posts, read 148,128 times
@bacano - Well said.

When somebody calls homeschooling "religious indoctrination", then it's clear that their main objection is a spiritual matter. There may be other questions, but also a bunch of rabbit trails too.

The thought that a "teacher" is superior to a parent says a lot about one's views about parents, and children, and families. Furthermore, if there is indeed some statistic (since it wasn't cited) showing that "most" people name teachers as more influential than parents, I likewise assert that it evidences a breakdown of family relationships and a neglect of parental responsibilities.

When I go to a restaurant, I don't ask the waiter to choose my meal for me or my kids. He's the professional, but I know what my children and I like, and can afford, etc. He's there to help if I need him--like a music teacher or sports' coach, etc. He doesn't replace me or possess some higher qualification even though he sees food all day long.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:39 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacano View Post
I think it is a scary thought until you take time to research what assistance there is out there. Homeschooling is a growing trend and there is more and more support from other families. It also may seem scary because most people have not known anything but homeschooling. Having a post-graduate degree myself, I think I can comment on the overvaluation of classes, certificates, degrees, etc. I don't think the standards for degrees are the same as they were years ago. For crying out loud, we have kids graduating without the ability to read. The post-graduate school I went to made us pass a grammar test on the basics upon starting classes. Why? because people who should have had these skills never learned them in their primary, secondary or undergraduate classes.

There is a strong argument against sending a child to the public school system. My time in the public school system and working as a substitute taught me a lot.
Well, that certainly depends on the public school. I went to Shawnee Mission schools and they were great. Very high graduation rates and number of students moving on to college.

My kids are in public school here in Denver and I'm extremely satisfied with the education they're getting. We're very involved parents and help with homework, etc., but there's no way I could provide what they're getting in public school. And I have a BS degree (not in education), but I don't feel that I know enough about every subject to provide the expertise needed, especially when they get to high school.

I just don't like stereotyping ALL public schools as horrible, because they're not.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:53 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacano View Post

There is no doubt that, despite billions being spent, our public school system is not yielding a high ROI. Talented students are held back with less talented to disruptive students. Teachers are less and less capable of administering discipline in class rooms. Respect for teachers is at an all time low. Students are taught to learn but are instructed on how to pass standardized tests. And don't get me started on Common Core. .
Again, you're acting like all public schools are in poor neighborhoods/districts where the children's home lives play a huge part in the dysfunction in the classrooms. I went to good schools, in a good district. I don't recall discipline and disruption issues in classes. In my kid's current school, that isn't an issue. Just because you hate the government doesn't mean that "the government" doesn't do some things right. Where I live, over 80% of the student's parents are college educated which translates into heavy involvement in their kid's educations. We have great schools, extremely high rated charter schools to choose from if that's what you want, and high graduation rates. If your local schools are as you describe above, then you're in the wrong school district.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Again, you're acting like all public schools are in poor neighborhoods/districts where the children's home lives play a huge part in the dysfunction in the classrooms. I went to good schools, in a good district. I don't recall discipline and disruption issues in classes. In my kid's current school, that isn't an issue. Just because you hate the government doesn't mean that "the government" doesn't do some things right. Where I live, over 80% of the student's parents are college educated which translates into heavy involvement in their kid's educations. We have great schools, extremely high rated charter schools to choose from if that's what you want, and high graduation rates. If your local schools are as you describe above, then you're in the wrong school district.
A lot of times it's not even really the district, it's the parents and the students.

Detroit Public Schools hires crappy teachers because the good teachers don't want to deal with the violence and constant problems. Why would I want to risk my life by teaching in Detroit city schools? Compare that to schools in a place like Leawood or Overland Park. Parents are functional and active, kids are well raised, teachers are proud and happy to be there. All is well.

Quite a few homeschoolers make it seem like public schools are only a step above a state prison. This is simply not true. I teach in a small district in the KC metro area and I've never had bullying, harassment, or violence in my classroom. The only issues I've had were caused by poor parenting (kids not doing their homework or studying).

I support the idea of homeschooling, but I believe that the state should check over to see what exactly is being taught. Homeschooled children should be responsible for pretty much the same information as their peers in public schools (science, math, history, English without any bias).

Old 06-10-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Actually, mission trips are about sharing beliefs. I don't think they were on an inquisition. And please explain how you are not learning from others when you interact with them? It isn't like these people only talk about religion.

Quote:
The Department of Education, an agency that should not even exist there is no enumerated 10th amendment power, is a major reasons people home school. The indoctrination of the progressive Marxist atheist state is a very good reason not to send you children to public schools. You seem to forget that this nation was founded by people seeking religious freedom. You also seem to forget many who are not religious home school.

Why not support freedom? Why not support the right of the parent to know how to raise his own child? How about acknowledging that if the individual is not capable to govern himself he is no better equipped to do so simply because he works for government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri