Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Couple wanting to purchase small farm in northern Missouri under 150k budget, farm with 40 acres plus and home, reconsidering southern Missouri

Old 07-25-2006, 06:33 PM

2 posts, read 5,275 times

Advertisements

I've been reading all these great relocation posts, thanks to all you Missourians who are being so helpful!

I noticed a few people who are more to the north and west side of Missouri (MissouriLady...I think), and I hope someone can give me advice on the area.

My husband and I are looking for a small farm/hobby farm, and we can find a lot of choices, 40 acres and up with a house for under $150,000 down in the southern area (rural east of Springfield, such as Ava which seems really pretty).

But, I wonder if we should try further north, because based on some of these posts I'm worried that the southern part of Missouri is maybe a little too "old South". We have both lived all over the country(me)/world(him) and want a place that is friendly and open to all types of people.

So, the question is, is there really anything with land further north for us in our price range...I don't come up with much searching the net but maybe I am looking in the wrong place...all help and links appreciated! I know the land in that area is probably more valuable farmland than the Ozark land, so maybe that's why I'm not finding anything?

Also, those who are down south, what do you think, are you just getting a bad rap from some of these other posts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2006, 08:03 PM

278 posts, read 1,136,505 times
We are looking at the same kind of land. I also see you are finding what we have in cost. The little looking into it I have done shows just that, the Ozark land is not as good for farming as the northern land is. This go’s way back to the first farmers of that area. Also some thing my grandfather would say and why he raised beef in the southern area around north east of Springfield in Urbana

Old 11-12-2006, 10:13 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,332,838 times
We have been talking about this in my home as well. We have been looking at moving to the Ava area. We actually vistited and looked at some property.
property prices / taxes seem relatively low to some other areas.

you can grow hay but am not sure of anything else... but am sure there is some sort of seed / feed place near.

Old 11-13-2006, 07:58 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,573,085 times
Hi Deborah,

I used to live in SW Mo--in Springfield and Ozark. Some of the crops you can grow in SW Mo. include milo (a kind of sorghum) used in cattle feed, winter wheat, regular wheat, and, of course, corn. Vegetables are also grown in abundance in backyard gardens--tomatoes, potatoes, green beans, onions, watermelons, pumpkins... the list goes on.

Granted, the ground isn't as good for large-scale farming, but don't think that there is no cash crops available in SW Mo. For the past few years, however, the drought has wreaked havoc on the farming communities in SW Mo. No snow in the winter has meant that farmers have had to add nitrogen to the soil that would normally have come from the snow melt and that adds to the cost of production. And we all know what no rain in the summer means.

Personally, if I was interested in large-scale farming, I would probably go a bit north, maybe north of Bolivar. Living south of there, I would probably concentrate on winter wheat, maybe some corn in the summer and mostly keep sheep and goats.

Henkelphoto
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
View detailed profiles of: