Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 09:59 PM

36 posts, read 92,354 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the great ideas everyone! Well, the problem with Catapiller is husband doesn't have a GED. I beleive that is one of their requirement's. He roofs houses, and worked at a quarrie for 15 years before it sold out. I pray everyday that he finds something. I like Boonville, but it hard to find work. I have a good job that pays well, but it only keeps our heads alittle above water with him not working. Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rube icon View Post
Caterpillar(you know, the bulldozer company) has a factory in Boonville, I have worked there for the past ten years. the building is tucked in behind the truck stop on Ashley Road, near I-70. I also have a 300 acre farm in Howard County, across the river. The job in town provides benefits that are simply not available to the self-employed. The plant has been hiring like crazy over the last 4 years, but I don't know about the current HR situation. Good Luck!
It's nice to hear from someone from around these parts! We actually live near Blackwater, but we drive back, and forth to Boonville since I work at the Frederick.We wanted a change after living in Sedalia for thirty years. I'm just hoping we didn't make a mistake.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:40 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,869,325 times
Why would you move somewhere without doing the research first?

Old 01-24-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Why would you move somewhere without doing the research first?
I have family that live's here. I like the area, but how do you check, and see what the job market is like before moving?

Old 01-25-2008, 04:39 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jypsy_rose_lee View Post
Well, the problem with Catapiller is husband doesn't have a GED. I beleive that is one of their requirement's.
Why does'nt he go it? They ususally offer classes to help you pass at the local Adult School....

Old 01-25-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
Why does'nt he go it? They ususally offer classes to help you pass at the local Adult School....
I wish he would,and could pass, but inorder for him to pass the test, he would have to start from the fourth grade level for reading, and spelling. This would take him a very long time to learn.

Old 01-26-2008, 03:36 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jypsy_rose_lee View Post
I wish he would,and could pass, but inorder for him to pass the test, he would have to start from the fourth grade level for reading, and spelling. This would take him a very long time to learn.
English is just one part of the test, he does'nt nessasarily have to master english, if he has math skills to compensate for it. Besides if he can't find a job he has plenty of time.......
My friend went and took these classes at 45 years old, He could'nt read much either, or spell, it took him 2 nights a week for 3 months but he got it.. The majority of his class was kids not paying attention, the Teacher relized the my friend was very serious about it and helped him after class...
It can be done if you try....

Old 01-26-2008, 04:06 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,535,745 times
I don't know what the GED situation is like in Boonville, but Columbia Public Schools has an active GED and adult reading program. Here's the webpage for their adult learning program, which includes GED and adult reading.

Are you also looking at the want ads in the Columbia Tribune? It advertises jobs throughout the area.

I have to say, however, that in this part of the country, US citizen roofers are losing out to illegal Mexicans for those jobs-- I know several roofers and economics are forcing them to hire illegals in order to compete on price. So they say, anyway, and I believe that this is simply the way the future is going, no matter how much people may dislike it.

And if it's largely illegals doing roofing jobs here, 1,500 miles from Mexico, then there aren't going to be many places where it doesn't wind up that way...all the more reason to get that GED and get some job skills that are more secure.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
I don't know what the GED situation is like in Boonville, but Columbia Public Schools has an active GED and adult reading program. Here's the webpage for their adult learning program, which includes GED and adult reading.

Are you also looking at the want ads in the Columbia Tribune? It advertises jobs throughout the area.

I have to say, however, that in this part of the country, US citizen roofers are losing out to illegal Mexicans for those jobs-- I know several roofers and economics are forcing them to hire illegals in order to compete on price. So they say, anyway, and I believe that this is simply the way the future is going, no matter how much people may dislike it.

And if it's largely illegals doing roofing jobs here, 1,500 miles from Mexico, then there aren't going to be many places where it doesn't wind up that way...all the more reason to get that GED and get some job skills that are more secure.
I understand what your saying. We went to aa area in Columbia last summer where there were alot of condoes being built. Most of the men there were Mexicans, most likely illegals. The formen who was American told my husband that they weren't hireing, this didn't surprise me none considering all the Mexicans they already had working. hopefully what happened in Arizonia with the illegals will start happening here! My husband worked in quarries for about 20 years, but this is a slow period. He applied for jobs at Boone Quarries several times, but to no avail.
Yes, as a matter of fact we just picked up another Columbia Tribune tonight. Thanks for the info, and advice.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,195 times
Smile Job Searching in Boonville

Hi,

I'm not sure what I did to find this forum, but I saw the post about seeking employment in Boonville. I work as a Career Counselor at the Missouri Career Center in Columbia at 1500 Vandiver Drive, Suite 115. Generally speaking, it is, indeed, a tough time to be looking for work in Mid-Missouri. Have you registered with Diversified Staffing on Main street downtown. I'm not sure who they represent, but I'd certainly get registered there. Caterpillar uses Volt Staffing and they have a Volt staff person at their work site. They also give a test for new applicants that requires 9th grade math level expertise in addition to general mechanical aptitude. Nordyne, I believe, has been calling back the people they laid off before Christmas, so that would be another place to look. Glen Martin Engineering is usually looking for 2 or 3 positions - not sure what they have right now, but it wouldn't hurt to put in application there.

If you're willing to come to Columbia to work, Square D is hiring for 2nd shift. Quaker Oats has an on-line ap at [URL="http://www.fritolayemployment.com"]www.fritolayemployment.com[/URL] you can check there to see if they are currently hiring. Also, Dana Corp has an on-line app at [URL="http://www.dana.com"]www.dana.com[/URL] Tyson over at Marshall is often hiring. There's always the boat. American Air Filter is another possibility. I'm assuming you have a HS diploma or GED, dependable transportation and don't have a felony record. If you have any of those barriers to employment, it will be a little harder to find work, but in my experience, those who persevere eventually obtain employment.

Feel free to come to the Missouri Career Center for further assistance. All of our employment services are free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri