Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 11:07 AM

321 posts, read 920,575 times

Advertisements

Yikes! I just finished reading through a Seller's Disclosure statement for a property we are looking at in Warrensburg and was shocked to see a statement under Hazardous Concerns specifying Methamphetamine - "are you aware if the property is or was used for methamphetamine production....." Geepers....is this a BIG problem in MO? Freaking just a little

I live in Massachusetts right now and we don't have that kind of statement on realtor documents here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 11:11 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,989,319 times
sad to say, that drug seems to have been a big problem in Mo, but that is the first time I have heard that stated in a disclosure.
I have a good friend in real estate, am gonna email her and ask about that, will post as soon as I hear from her.

Old 01-22-2008, 11:20 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,234,949 times
Mo has adopted the so called Oklahoma plan on the fight for meth. Restricting the sale of the ingredients has really done a whammy on the makers. Not near as many meth labs being busted as before. It is still out there and always wil be.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:20 PM

382 posts, read 1,068,977 times
Lake Junkie, Randy Henderson, or any other realtor-type - Is this for real? I haven't come across this type of disclosure before either and am just curious.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:26 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,826,047 times
There are lots of drugs around here, but fortunately not a lot of violence that normally comes with it, at least not violence that affects most people. There are acres of woods around here where someone could have a lab for a long time without being caught.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:30 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,571,982 times
Yep, sad to report. This statement will be on a disclosure IF the home and/or property has been used for any meth production and/or storage. Also sad to say, meth is a big problem in Missouri's backwoods. Abandoned trailers, shacks, old homes and on other acreage not on a major highway or state road.

Our sheriff's department is constantly breaking up these places as are the adjoining counties law enforcers. Even in some of the smaller communities, local police have to put a close to these meth places. Missouri is in the top 5 for meth production according to information I rec'd. as a 911 dispatcher from our deputies. Dangerous places for all. Even some deputies have suffered from being in these places prior to haz mat type workers being on the scene.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:36 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,056,574 times
To my knowledge, unfortunately this damn drug is a scourge in just about all areas. Funny, in a sad way, when you research as to just what town/region is the 'meth capital of the country'... From NY, PA, NJ, GA, IN, MO, AR, OK, OR, and other states, seems that there are so many [too many ] communities w/ the banner over their head of being the capital of meth. FWIW, it does not take acres of woods to produce - have read police reports where such was being made in the sleeper cab of a tractor trailer... while the driver's 8 yo kid was in the rig going down the road. Have also read reports where cardboard boxes are placed along abandoned areas w/ the meth being made in it, and then the owners of it can't be caught as readily. I really have a hard time, at times, understanding humans...

Check out Where, exactly, is the meth capital of the world? - By Jack Shafer - Slate Magazine

And just do a google search such as the following to see just how widespread this scourge is as to where the 'capital' is: methamphetamine capital - Google Search

Old 01-23-2008, 05:24 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,339,862 times
In my business I get weird email and such .. one that the state sent to me was how to be aware of meth ..users and locations

I care for small children ...... so now I have to look for warning signs on parents sad!

One of the pages has meth labs being made in local ditches in coolers - I live in a very rural area ...and often coolers are dumped ..before we would pick them up - NOT anymore!

Old 01-23-2008, 08:51 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,571,982 times
Thanks ShadowCaver for the links. They were interesting to read as are all of your links!!!

Old 01-23-2008, 11:12 AM

321 posts, read 920,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
Yep, sad to report. This statement will be on a disclosure IF the home and/or property has been used for any meth production and/or storage. Also sad to say, meth is a big problem in Missouri's backwoods. Abandoned trailers, shacks, old homes and on other acreage not on a major highway or state road.
My MO realtor tells me this is a standard statement/question on all seller's disclosures in MO due to the problem there. It doesn't necessarily mean the property I want to buy was a meth lab/storage - so now I'm confused - can another realtor chime in here? The property is in a rural part of Warrensburg - the neighbors all look to have decent homes that are well kept - didn't see any abandoned trailers or the like so I'm guessing (hoping) this area is OK. I have a 2 year old son to raise and I just freaked a little when I read that statement. I'm glad to hear MO is working towards minimizing this problem (sad but true it will never go away).

How bad is the problem in the schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri