Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2007, 09:18 PM

79 posts, read 441,554 times

Advertisements

Ok, so my wife is Mexican. Her English is 80% and has a Spanish accent. We have two kids that look as white as George Washington.

We are looking for a house in the country... as in 10-60 acres where we can have some elbow room, have no noisy neighbors, see the stars, not have to listen to someone else's music or smell their cigarettes or their exhaust... In other words, the OPPOSITE of where we are now (Phoenix).

We like the Alton, MO area (Southern/middle part of the state by AK border.) but we are open to suggestions of other areas.

Are we going to be safe in a place like this? (We mind our own business, stay out of trouble, and are easy to get along with, etc.) My question is drawn from the race aspect of my wife....

Any comments will be helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2007, 09:13 AM

40 posts, read 262,951 times
From what I've seen, most of small town Missouri isn't real inviting of minorities. There are hundreds of little Missouri towns with cheap property values and somewhat sparsely populated, but those are the types of places that are 99.9999% white, and typically won't welcome Latino's or Black very well. Perhaps a somewhat distant burb of St L or KC might be better- where most of the locals are used to seeing more minorities on a daily basis and really won't think anything of it. I know you want to get away from Urban areas. But if you get too far out in the boonies, you may not be as warmly welcomed as you should be.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:31 AM

870 posts, read 3,082,443 times
Default Thought of SW MO?

Around Branson, although the census figures have our county as 2% minority, the area has become MUCH more diverse in the 8 years we have been in the area. (New census this year, so that is 10 years old!) Branson is so in need of employees and has been recruiting in other areas. This has brought many new cultures to town. It is no longer uncommon to see mixed couples from all walks of like. My boss owns a mexican restaurant with an all Latino staff. Lately, I have met people from Guatamala, Indonesia, Bali, Croatia and Colombia to name a few. SW MO and NW AR has many Mexican Americans that live and work in the area and I think you would receive a warm welcome if you were to decide to settle here. The towns of Lampe, Blue Eye and Ridgedale, MO would be a good place to start. Even Green Mountain or Omaha in AR might be good choices. Land is still plentiful and affordable in large parcels.
The times they are a changin' and hopefully, people will become more tolerant and less single minded! Good Luck inyour search!!

Old 11-08-2007, 09:27 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,060,436 times
AsForMeAndMyHouse - welcome to the forum. I would hope that anyplace you both like in regards to your desires [land, area, house, school, etc.] would be welcoming and inviting to you all, no matter your hair, skin, feet, fingers. Sorry, but I get so upset at racist BS... have no tolerance for this ignorant behaviour by humans. Anyhow, looking back on the small burbs in the boonies that I have lived, worked, and/or visited, I honestly have seen little to no issue w/ racism directed towards Mexican/Latinos. Blacks, unfortunately, I have seen problems with jerkarses giving them troubles... Anyhow, maybe be good to narrow your search to a few places, and then just spend some time walking the area, and seeing first-hand what the reception/feeling you get. Good luck, and best to yas...

Old 11-09-2007, 07:39 AM

1,554 posts, read 4,551,962 times
I live in Macon and I don't see any racial slurrrrr about black or mexican.... So no problem over here in these parts.

Old 11-09-2007, 04:48 PM

Location: Branson-Hollister-Kimberling City-Blue Eye-Ridgedale
1,814 posts, read 5,383,163 times
Default Ahem...check out Branson...

This part of MO has been a melting pot for a long long time...and it's my fav spot for the FUN!!!

Old 11-10-2007, 02:33 PM

238 posts, read 824,031 times
I live in Gasconade county which is VERY rural and although I'm white as snow I had several comments directed at me when I wear my Jewish star or when my son has on a kippah(Jewish head covering) all in all though I would say people are okay about it here.
Honestly I don't know how a mexican would be treated. Here in Gasconade County we're all Republicans it seems- I think the Dems hide in closets or something you never hear anyone admit to being a Dem. I don't know how welcoming people would be but I think more than anything it might be getting the cold shoulder as opposed to direct attacks.
Cheap cost of living here, good wholesome people IMO. Look into it.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:22 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,387,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernjewishgal View Post
Honestly I don't know how a mexican would be treated. Here in Gasconade County we're all Republicans it seems- I think the Dems hide in closets or something you never hear anyone admit to being a Dem. I don't know how welcoming people would be but I think more than anything it might be getting the cold shoulder as opposed to direct attacks.
Some counties in Missouri are predominately Republican (yours) and some are predominately Democratic (mine). To say folks would not be accepting due to a predominate political party is rather intolerant and judgemental in itself.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:51 PM
jps

79 posts, read 391,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
... To say folks would not be accepting due to a predominate political party is rather intolerant and judgemental in itself.
And sadly, somewhat typical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri