U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 07:34 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,001,855 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to relocate. Presently we live in Illinois and the town we live is in Growing too fast ..to big ..

We have been to Ava and liked the small town feel - the people were just down right NICE - I could hardly believe people in this world today could be this nice and helpful!

I would like to know about the area on a personal level.
Presently my husband is a manager of a parts store and I own / operate a home base daycare. We also live on a small farm. We would like to relocate and own a farm w/ income enough to support our family. OR my husband would / could work for other farmers... he really wants away from the daily personal contact...... he grew up farming !

I would like to know about jobs / education/ the whole enviroment

We would be moving 2 familys there .. mine and our sons family.
so we need to know what about young people what is out there for them..... careers/ education / life outside of work..entertainment

where do people travel for jobs ..what type of jobs are available..what do people do for fun?

When I was in Ava I dont recall seeing 1 bar - I am sure they are hidden well???? lol........I dont like that life style but just thought of it a year later !

Any help would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2006, 10:04 AM

12 posts, read 40,022 times
I don't know much about the county to give you an educated opinion, but the county made the news today. KY3 had a story about the over worked police staff and the lack of funding there for upgrades. They hada vote to raise taxes and it was voted down. Apparently they need more officers and staff people officers are working 60-70 hour weeks doing all types of jobs.

spfd4um.com

Old 03-04-2007, 05:44 PM

137 posts, read 570,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahWade View Post
My husband and I are looking to relocate. Presently we live in Illinois and the town we live is in Growing too fast ..to big ..

We have been to Ava and liked the small town feel - the people were just down right NICE - I could hardly believe people in this world today could be this nice and helpful!

I would like to know about the area on a personal level.
Presently my husband is a manager of a parts store and I own / operate a home base daycare. We also live on a small farm. We would like to relocate and own a farm w/ income enough to support our family. OR my husband would / could work for other farmers... he really wants away from the daily personal contact...... he grew up farming !

I would like to know about jobs / education/ the whole enviroment

We would be moving 2 familys there .. mine and our sons family.
so we need to know what about young people what is out there for them..... careers/ education / life outside of work..entertainment

where do people travel for jobs ..what type of jobs are available..what do people do for fun?

When I was in Ava I don't recall seeing 1 bar - I am sure they are hidden well???? lol........I dont like that life style but just thought of it a year later !

Any help would be great!
not sure how to select a smaller quote but I am responding, I and my wife are moving to Douglas county and will be near Ava. I agree about the friendly people! We have purchased 25 acres and are eager to move there. I think there was one small bar but we have not been there. I am also eager to learn any news about the area. I would think that if necessary a commute to Springfield would be doable for employment It is about sixty miles or less from Ava. I too would enjoy work on a farm. I found our parcel through an ebay real estate seller. good luck!

Old 03-04-2007, 06:30 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,441,134 times
How about educating me about Douglas County, please. From various different people in the Springfield area, I've heard Douglas Country referred to by a nick name. Some have called it "Booger County." I haven't been out that far, so what is it about the area out there that would create such a nick name?

Old 03-04-2007, 08:24 PM

Hi Garth. I have not heard that but I am not surprised. Any time there is a slower more rural community you get faster paced larger more "progressive" areas calling the smaller place names. we have all heard about kissin cousin in the south right? Dueling banjos make you scared? It is one of the lesser populated counties with just over 13,300 reported in 2004, some reports vary. There are reports as far back as 1870 something quoting a Jefferson City newspaper making disparaging remarks about Douglas county. When you have slanted views going that far back you can not escape folklore type attitudes from becoming entrenched. I have been reading about "Mo-Mo" ever hear of it? Anyway I like the county and plan to live there soon. I didn't choose the county, it just happened to be where a piece of land with beautiful views and acceptable terms happened to be.

Old 03-05-2007, 02:34 PM

I just read an interesting article about a story published in the national Geographic that pretty much proves my point about the big city/little town bias.

Here is the url : http://www.rollanet.org/~conorw/cwom...34combined.htm

I do not know policy about this posting of an url but since a senior member asked for a link I assume it is OK to post such. The article is a very good read about a local opinion about a national article written about their town

Old 03-06-2007, 10:05 PM

42 posts, read 193,594 times
Ava is as you know...very rural, the closest major medical, education and shopping is either Springfield to the west or West Plains to the East. It is very pretty country. There is nice people there and some that are kind of off to themselves as with anyplace I suppose. That commute 60 miles to springfield is one way....that's alot of gas. I think the lack of jobs in the Ava area is a major factor. Farming....is mainly cattle...that's about the extent due to the rocky terrain and hills.

Old 03-07-2007, 04:51 PM

I have been researching the name "Booger County" it is not as I mistakenly assumed a derogatory term (my bad) so far I have found out it was garnered in the twenties and several events and organizations use the name. I promise an update when I locate the facts.

Old 03-07-2007, 05:47 PM

I have now found reference to Snannon county Missouri being called "booger county as well. There is a book by Sandy Ray Chapin called "In Search of Booger County" . she lives in Douglas county, the Search goes on. I can tell you that several states have place names of Booger, creek hollow etc.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:08 PM

I tried to do an edit but the page wouldn't load, the book is called "Searching for Booger County" not in search of, sorry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri