Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 03:02 PM

145 posts, read 655,668 times

Advertisements

In the 20 years I've lived in MO, I have only once seen a tarantula, and that was during the summer, near Lebanon (SW MO). I have heard they are much more common in the far south of MO, around Table Rock/Branson area. Never saw any in all the hikes I ever did in and around Springfield. I would love to come across one, as now I (we) have two tarantulas from pet shops. Both of them are pretty docile, especially the older female one (the other is too young to determine gender). I doubt I will see one up this far (High Ridge/St. Louis), though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 07:28 AM

78 posts, read 465,160 times
Default Missouri Tarantula Enthusiasts Group

It's great to see another keeper on this board!

If anyone else out there has tarantulas or are interested in learning more about them, you can join our little group here:

MO-TEG : Missouri Tarantula Enthusiasts Group

The intent of the group is to help inform folks and to try to meet fellow keepers in our local area. (Missouri and surrounding areas only)

Old 02-20-2008, 06:12 PM

879 posts, read 2,878,761 times
Default One in the house....

Well, I'm not an enthusiastic fan of ANY spider...although I do know that they eat alot of bad bugs...so I leave 'em alone for the most part.

However, when we bought our house last year (just north of Branson) we had a tarantula in the house. I almost freaked. Our neighbor kindly removed it elsewhere...

So they do exist in SW MO...

Old 02-21-2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrschilicook View Post
So they do exist in SW MO...
Yeah, from what I gather, Brasnon is right in the heart of tarantula country.

There is an annual "Bug Hunt" that some folks I know have started that meets in May/June on Mount Caney near Gainsville. They find lots of tarantulas and scorpions there as well as other bugs and reptiles.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:32 PM

870 posts, read 3,081,768 times
Default The Henning Area

Outside Branson , there is a wildlife area, rather, a conservation area, called the Doug and Ruth Henning Area. It is free to walk the trails and I have seen Tarantulas, lizards, fox, turkey, squirrel, deer tracks, too many kinds of birds to list and awesome wildflowers. Oh yeah and in a few weeks there will be morels!!!! Yummmm...

It's a DO NOT MISS place to go in branson, and it's freeeeeeee!!!

Old 02-25-2008, 05:11 PM

526 posts, read 1,246,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevez2 View Post
Yeah, from what I gather, Brasnon is right in the heart of tarantula country.

There is an annual "Bug Hunt" that some folks I know have started that meets in May/June on Mount Caney near Gainsville. They find lots of tarantulas and scorpions there as well as other bugs and reptiles.
DO WHAT???????????????????????? YIKES< maybe I need to find somewhere else to move to !!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't do spiders, or snakes for that matter, very well at all

Old 02-25-2008, 07:49 PM

48 posts, read 168,999 times
Ill take a tarantula over a black widow any day! Dang things give me the creeps.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:53 PM

2,142 posts, read 4,450,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlynn0217 View Post
Outside Branson , there is a wildlife area, rather, a conservation area, called the Doug and Ruth Henning Area. It is free to walk the trails and I have seen Tarantulas, lizards, fox, turkey, squirrel, deer tracks, too many kinds of birds to list and awesome wildflowers. Oh yeah and in a few weeks there will be morels!!!! Yummmm...

It's a DO NOT MISS place to go in branson, and it's freeeeeeee!!!
That is great information! I did not know that the late magician who had the big moustache established this conservation area--or otherwise played enough of a role in it to have it named after him and his wife. My wife just keeps telling me, "There's just so many things to do in Missouri compared to California," and this is yet another place we'll have to visit when we drive down there from St. Joe when the time comes. Just don't nobody mention the tarantulas to her, please!

Old 02-26-2008, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlynn0217 View Post
a conservation area, called the Doug and Ruth Henning Area.
Oops....
Doug Henning was my favorite magician.

The conservation area is the Ruth and Paul Henning Conservation Area and is located in the Henning State Forest.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:48 AM

870 posts, read 3,081,768 times
Default Mine, too!

Ooops is right! Sorry...engaged fingers before brain!

Still a coooool place to visit!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri