Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2015, 06:22 PM

9 posts, read 15,096 times

Advertisements

My husband has been offered a job in the Columbia area and I'm interested in the elementary and middle schools. We have a kindergartener and a 5th grader who attend a STEM focused school (science every day, project-based learning, technology/computer ed starting in K, science fair, Odyssey of the Mind, Destination Imagination, GATE, etc.) where we are now and its pretty perfect. The school is also K-8, which I love. Is there anything, public or private, similar to this in the Columbia area?

The schools will make this decision for us and I'd like to be able to narrow down my tour list before I fly there next week! Thanks so much for help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 08:40 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
Schools in Columbia are great, but you won't find as many of the specialized services like you can in the larger districts.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:16 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,535,745 times
Benton is a STEM elementary school in the public district. No k-8 schools to my knowledge. Google "Columbia independent school district" for public schools, "Columbia independent school" (there's only one secular private school, that's its name) for the private, non-catholic school, and "Columbia mo catholic schools" for the lower and upper grade catholic schools.

Traditionally we thought the public schools were great, but test performance and some other disturbing factors now make me wonder. I don't know where the problem lies, but I can't deny it exists. Our kids are well out of school- they were high achievers who are doing well as young adults, but the youngest is 10 years out of high school. I talk to parents who are choosing to live in places like Ashland because they think the schools are better. That would never have happened 10-20 years ago.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:48 AM

9 posts, read 15,096 times
Thank you both for the information!

Old 10-14-2015, 09:57 AM

2 posts, read 3,423 times
I just saw your post; apologies if this is too late to be helpful. There are several private schools in Columbia that aren't religious: Independent (already mentioned), CityGarden (a Waldorf-style school so possibly not what you're looking for) and Stephens College Children's School.

I've heard Benton is a great school. It's our only STEM school and you can either live in that district or apply to the lottery. If you're transferring mid-year go ahead and call them to find out what options may be available. It's one of two autonomous schools in Columbia (the other, Lee, is an expressive arts school) so it's last in line for funding but it isn't strictly held to CPS guidelines.

There are also several non-Catholic religious schools here although that wasn't our path so I can't speak to those. A friend who is very demanding academically sends her kids to the Catholic school here and loves it. There is quite a waiting list, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
View detailed profiles of: