U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2017, 01:18 AM

1,453 posts, read 1,008,911 times

Advertisements

[quote=Cleo555;46685442]Actually the person who talked about meth and cattle rustling is correct. Getting worse now. They do have rustlers and meth problems. Seems like meth problems are all over the usa now.
I lived in Gainesville about 4 years back.
They do NOT like mixed races or any other race coming into their town.They had a mexican shoot a guy, and when time came for a hearing, they had to have snipers on the roof to protect the guy. He wound up having his trial in Kansas City.
They have people come in that want to have a resteraunt, if it is chinese , mexican, or non country type food...those people usually wind up leaving because no one will go there. You go broke.
Ozark county is very poor. But, it is pretty.
And ...don't let them see you with a white person. I have seen a couple of occasions where they look very hard at you. Leave fast. And people there don't like outsiders.
I would try West Plains. I like Tecumseh myself. But i don't know how they are.
I moved back to north central arkansas. Got tired of Gainesville.[/QUOTE

How could North Central Arkansas be much different than Gainesville? Both in the same region, Ozarks, Upper South and rural areas. I wouldn't think there would be much difference in the people and their views on outsiders.

I've passed through it before long time ago since my late uncle used to have a lake house at Bull Shoals in far southern MO about 5 miles from the AR/MO border. Don't remember it much except a small town. What is it though with meth and white trash in the Ozarks/upper south in places like southern Missouri, Northern Arkansas, West Virginia, Eastern TN? Seems Southern Missouri and northern Arkansas have a big meth problem. Is it an upper south thing? I don't hear much about it in other regions of the country. It gives Missouri, in particular the Ozarks a bad reputation.

Also what is it about non whites and outsiders in the Ozarks of southern MO and Northern AR? I know after the civil war many blacks were literally ran out of southern Missouri and northern Arkansas in places like Joplin, Springfield, Harrison Arkansas. I mean these were not slave areas and mostly white people from other upper south states. Heard similar things about eastern TN and eastern KY as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 10:21 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,081,289 times
They do Meth because Marijuana is too easy to spot from the air.

I owned a Slave Home in Springfield and Bunceton Missouri. Actually there was several Slaves in the state my Ancestors Freed theirs in the state and to this day they still go by our Family name.

The reason Blacks left Springfield. Back when I was young first Married never went to School or Worked with a Black. Actually never seen one.

Lynching[edit]

On April 14, 1906, a mob broke into the town jail, then lynched two black men: Horace Duncan and Fred Coker, for allegedly sexually assaulting Mina Edwards, a white woman. Later they returned to the jail and lynched another black man, Will Allen, accused of murder. The victims were hanged and burned by a mob more than 2,000 strong in the town square. The men were hanged on the town square from the Gottfried Tower which held a replica of the Statue of Liberty. Judge Azariah W. Lincoln called for a grand jury. The proceedings were covered in both the New York and Los Angeles Times. In the immediate aftermath, two commemorative coins were reportedly issued. Evidence suggested that all three men were innocent, including testimony from Duncan's and Coker's employer. The lynching sparked a mass exodus of African-Americans from the area, who still remain a small minority demographic in Springfield. A plaque on the southeast corner of the square serves as reminder.[SIZE=2][10][/SIZE][SIZE=2][11][/SIZE]

brushrunner

Old 02-04-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
They do Meth because Marijuana is too easy to spot from the air.

I owned a Slave Home in Springfield and Bunceton Missouri. Actually there was several Slaves in the state my Ancestors Freed theirs in the state and to this day they still go by our Family name.

The reason Blacks left Springfield. Back when I was young first Married never went to School or Worked with a Black. Actually never seen one.

Lynching[edit]

On April 14, 1906, a mob broke into the town jail, then lynched two black men: Horace Duncan and Fred Coker, for allegedly sexually assaulting Mina Edwards, a white woman. Later they returned to the jail and lynched another black man, Will Allen, accused of murder. The victims were hanged and burned by a mob more than 2,000 strong in the town square. The men were hanged on the town square from the Gottfried Tower which held a replica of the Statue of Liberty. Judge Azariah W. Lincoln called for a grand jury. The proceedings were covered in both the New York and Los Angeles Times. In the immediate aftermath, two commemorative coins were reportedly issued. Evidence suggested that all three men were innocent, including testimony from Duncan's and Coker's employer. The lynching sparked a mass exodus of African-Americans from the area, who still remain a small minority demographic in Springfield. A plaque on the southeast corner of the square serves as reminder.[SIZE=2][10][/SIZE][SIZE=2][11][/SIZE]

brushrunner
Joplin Missouri and Harrison, AR the same way. Both had similar events as well. Also years later Sikeston had a similar lynching as well.

It's odd how in more modern times places in the upper south such as Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas Ozarks, Missouri Ozarks, rural Missouri, and West Virginia are all called rabid racist areas in the lame stream media when compared to the deep south.

The Ozarks especially of Missouri and Arkansas you constantly hear about this and Eastern Tennessee seemed to get mentioned the most. Maybe because these areas such as rural Missouri, Eastern Tennessee and the Arkansas Ozarks, West Virginia are very white in comparison to the rest of the country?

Old 02-06-2017, 05:07 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,081,289 times
My Daughter and her Boyfriend were run out of Latham, MO by the KKK.

brushrunner

Old 02-06-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
My Daughter and her Boyfriend were run out of Latham, MO by the KKK.

brushrunner
Ironton, Bonne Terre, Farmington is another area that has a lot of them too. Not shocked with Ironton as it's in southern Missouri deep in the Ozarks. I know they get fired up about the Confederate Battle Flag being taken down at Pilot Knob and still trying to get it put back up at the cemetery ever since One Term Bob had it removed which was stupid to. P*ssed off the locals I've heard as some might even have family members buried there killed in the battle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or