U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 04:17 PM

20,005 posts, read 70,814,682 times

Advertisements

Im planning on vacationing down there to do some hunting in the hills, just curious how the town is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2006, 04:24 PM

Not one MO native has anything to say about Gainesville???

Old 11-18-2006, 12:50 PM

187 posts, read 978,235 times
Well, its a small, rural town in a pretty attractive setting. Its probably big enough to find at least a grocery store, some gas stations, some restaraunts, and a few mom and pop shops. Probably some motels there also.

What else do you want to know about it?

Old 11-19-2006, 09:31 PM

Thanks! Is it a safe town? That was the largest one we could find in the area we want to hunt in. Is it safe? I dont want to end up in a neighborhood like I did in Phoenix. Unsafe to say the least... Thanks for your help!

Old 11-20-2006, 11:58 AM

Yes, very safe in Gainesville. They dont have neighborhoods in Gainesville like they do in Phoenix, trust me on that one...

Unless you have cows for rustlers to steal, or try to bust up someone's meth lab, you wont encounter much crime in Gainesville.

Old 11-21-2006, 03:01 PM

213 posts, read 688,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzy View Post
Yes, very safe in Gainesville. They dont have neighborhoods in Gainesville like they do in Phoenix, trust me on that one...

Unless you have cows for rustlers to steal, or try to bust up someone's meth lab, you wont encounter much crime in Gainesville.
Hey Razzy or anyone else with information on Gainesville. We are considering some farm property in the Gainesville area and will be running cattle on the farm. Is there much of a problem with cattle stealing? What about the meth lab comment? Is there much of a problem in that small area of Gainesville?
We used to live in Mtn. Home, AR (1982-1994) before moving to Alaska and now West Virginia and used to go through Gainesville going to Springfield. Since it's been 12 years since we have been in that part of the country, I'm not up to speed on the area and attitudes.

We now have 2 adopted boys - mixed race kids, ages 4 and 10. Just curious how you think they may be accepted in the Gainesville area. Also, do you know if people there are fairly accepting of newcomers, or is there a tendency for newbies to remain "outsiders". Any information you or anyone else can give me would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mac

Old 11-21-2006, 09:45 PM

Mac, I live in Springfield, which is about 100 miles from Gainesville, so I am by no means an expert on Gainesville. I have been on float trips near there, and driven through the place probably 3 or 4 times my whole life.

But no, I was being a little facetious about the cattle stealing and meth labs. There arent any big epidemics going on that I know of, although meth is a problem in Missouri in general, so there are probably a few meth addicts around there just as there are anywhere else.

I dont know how the people in that area would respond to outsiders and racially mixed kids. My first guess would be that they would be accepting of them, but again, thats just a guess.

Sorry I couldnt be of more help, but I really dont know a ton about Gainesville.

Old 11-22-2006, 02:52 PM

213 posts, read 688,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzy View Post
Mac, I live in Springfield, which is about 100 miles from Gainesville, so I am by no means an expert on Gainesville. I have been on float trips near there, and driven through the place probably 3 or 4 times my whole life.

But no, I was being a little facetious about the cattle stealing and meth labs. There arent any big epidemics going on that I know of, although meth is a problem in Missouri in general, so there are probably a few meth addicts around there just as there are anywhere else.

I dont know how the people in that area would respond to outsiders and racially mixed kids. My first guess would be that they would be accepting of them, but again, thats just a guess.

Sorry I couldnt be of more help, but I really dont know a ton about Gainesville.
Thanks for the info. I used to enjoy going to Springfield from Mtn. Home for shopping purposes. That would be one place I would like to live if I wasn't considering the farm in Gainesville. Yeah, meth is a problem everywhere it seems, big time here in West Virginia.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:55 PM

9 posts, read 7,626 times
Actually the person who talked about meth and cattle rustling is correct. Getting worse now. They do have rustlers and meth problems. Seems like meth problems are all over the usa now.
I lived in Gainesville about 4 years back.
They do NOT like mixed races or any other race coming into their town.They had a mexican shoot a guy, and when time came for a hearing, they had to have snipers on the roof to protect the guy. He wound up having his trial in Kansas City.
They have people come in that want to have a resteraunt, if it is chinese , mexican, or non country type food...those people usually wind up leaving because no one will go there. You go broke.
Ozark county is very poor. But, it is pretty.
And ...don't let them see you with a white person. I have seen a couple of occasions where they look very hard at you. Leave fast. And people there don't like outsiders.
I would try West Plains. I like Tecumseh myself. But i don't know how they are.
I moved back to north central arkansas. Got tired of Gainesville.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:38 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,081,070 times
Ok I use to hunt Caney Mountain by Gainesville and Loved it when I was out there alone. One place in the state you can actually feel the isolation.

Town its self not much there, when first getting there I always stopped at the small Truck Stop got a Subway and some ice, there is a Dollar Store across from it. Have went to Grocery Store in main part of town.

Know of one family that lived there and was run out but they was a mix couple.

Lately I have liked the looks of Forsyth. Small Town and plenty of Hunting and Fishing there.

Where I live I have MDC Lands and MTNF. Got a Cabin by Warsaw COE and MDC Lands.

brushrunner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or