Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 03:14 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,730,784 times

Advertisements

There are too many 18-wheelers for I-70 to function properly as a four-lane highway in Missouri. It's on a short list with I-4 in Florida, I-5 in California, I-35 in Texas and I-85 in South Carolina as the most frustrating Interstates to drive.

While they're're at it, MoDOT should properly grade BOTH sides of highways like U.S. 36, U.S. 50 and U.S. 63. It's kind of goofy the way one side will be properly graded and the other side will follow the terrain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 01:10 PM

685 posts, read 766,789 times
Outside of StL, KC, and occasionally Columbia, I-70 seems to always be moving well. I hardly ever drop below 65 mph outside of those areas. MoDOT doesn't have the revenue for a magaproject anyway. They could probably fund it with a toll system or higher gas tax.

As for the grading, it's probably a cost saving measure. Roads like 36, 50, and 63 used to be two lane highways. MoDOT simply added two separate lanes and a median to make them four lane freeways. Re-grading would have required four lanes to be constructed, instead of just two.

Last edited by RisingAurvandil; 11-15-2015 at 01:42 PM..

Old 11-17-2015, 08:51 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,536,146 times
I don't necessarily disagree with the OP (actually I do-- I agree the 2nd poster that, outside of major cities, traffic's not usually that bad), but neither the Lege nor the citizens want to pay for anything like two more lanes across the state.

The most logical solution is a toll road like Oklahoma does with 44-- exclude greater StL, KC, and Columbia from the tolls like Oklahoma does with OKC and Tulsa on 44, and that solves the complaints from those areas. But it won't happen, because the trucking industry wants to keep not paying for the damage they cause to our highways and like every other favored industry in this state (Ameren, CAFOs, ethanol), they're a lot better represented in Jeff than the voters and taxpayers.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:25 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,706,855 times
Most transcontinental highways like I-70 are only ever two lanes. The only time they are 3-4 lanes is in the city. Like someone else said, I-70 only gets backed up around STL and KC.

I wouldn't have a problem with tolling I-70. I'd say have the toll start around Grain Valley, Bates City, or Odessa, then end around Warrenton or Wentzville. City commuters wouldn't be affected. Only tourists, drivers coming from one side of the state to another, and truckers would be affected.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:48 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,381,724 times
I-70 in Missouri and I-35 in Texas? No comparison WHATSOEVER. I-70 in MO is a picnic in comparison.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:08 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,197,481 times
Adding lanes to the existing roadway is the easier part. Have to have brides to support the widened road though. Widening, or building a new bridge takes a long, long time and it is also a very large part of the total expenditure. The road funding is a % fuel tax based, so with lower fuel cost, federal and state funding reduces. The funds do not load up when the fuel prices are lower.

States often raid transportation funding, or "borrow" from it to balance budgets. They will issue bonds/borrow for road projects. This is becoming more common and it is a hefty burden for the citizens of the state. There is interest due. The Interstate system is mostly Federal money, but even the state share can be difficult to come up with because the states are generally strapped for cash and they are already looking under every rock for money.

Kansas intended to end the toll when the original debt was paid off. The toll remains and it doesn't get any cheaper. Making it a toll road in MO might be an option, but there are risks with it. If the state has access to the revenue, it will likely be used for other purposes.

Old 12-02-2015, 05:49 PM

6,815 posts, read 11,534,335 times
The only time you need a third lane on I-70 is when you've got a truck trying to pass another truck, the passer is only going .5 mph faster than the passee, and the whole thing takes ten miles to accomplish and the traffic is backed up behind it.

We've started to use 36 when going across the state. Much less stressful than I-70 or I-80 in Iowa.

Old 12-05-2015, 11:06 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,599,781 times
Widening I70 near the cities would encourage more sprawl and drive up infrastructure costs.

Old 12-06-2015, 04:30 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,490,111 times
Truckers passing other truckers and how it takes 10 miles ta accomplish is as annoying as being forced to listen to only Taylor Swift tunes on the only radio station you can get for hundreds of miles through a state. Say you have no other music machine to get songs from and her bubble-gum wad tunes are it for you.

These truckers forget they're not in their BMW's and they're in these over-sized semi's. What they're doing ought ta earn them a ticket. That is so annoying ta be stuck behind several truckers on an interstate pulling that crap.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:51 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,706,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Truckers passing other truckers and how it takes 10 miles ta accomplish is as annoying as being forced to listen to only Taylor Swift tunes on the only radio station you can get for hundreds of miles through a state. Say you have no other music machine to get songs from and her bubble-gum wad tunes are it for you.

These truckers forget they're not in their BMW's and they're in these over-sized semi's. What they're doing ought ta earn them a ticket. That is so annoying ta be stuck behind several truckers on an interstate pulling that crap.
There is nothing more frustrating than this...

Too bad there aren't more laws that prevent trucks from driving in the left lane.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri