U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 09:10 PM

13 posts, read 39,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
Well, if the business climate and economic conditions are so good in Shannon County than why is it one of the poorest counties in the entire state of Missouri? I would say that the county needs to develop more tourism jobs, considering it is a nice remote area.
Heres a little secret about Eminence, We like being at the bottom of the poverty level. Believe this, If you want to work in Eminence you can work, I dont see anyone living in cardboard boxes. And when someone needs help they get helped. But as one of the "poorest counties" it deters the throngs of people who would like to move here lol.........Most every one in this county that has lived here any length of time will tell you , they wouldnt change a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 08:02 PM

116 posts, read 412,685 times
Everytime I hear people talk about places like this and the stories they have it just makes me wish I had the means to get up tomorrow and pack my kids and move right out here. I just cant wait to get myself and kids out there what a way of life we have in stored for us. Please keep these posts up it may sound weird but those of use preparing to move out there love to hear all of things in the past and present.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:30 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,642,864 times
I have been to both Kauai and Eminence...and it's close but I am giving Kauai the nod.
It's the total lack of humidity that does it for me.

My wife went to elementary school in Eminence, we know the original Windy of Windy's canoe fame along with many of the locals. MO State did a documentary on the area years ago, if you ever get a chance to watch it you should, it was done in the 1970's...talk about a trip back in time.

My favorite part is floating down from the prongs and checking out all the caves along the way. Have you ever been in hospital cave? It was used by both the Johnny Rebs and Bluebellys during the Civil war. Jam up with the waterfall in the back of the cave is pretty cool, as is the water once you get below Alley spring!

Old 09-24-2007, 05:41 AM

1,554 posts, read 4,219,165 times
I thought about buying property in Eminence but everyone keeps saying how far and remote it is from the "BIG CITY". The reason I wanted to live because property was cheaper there, your in the forest area?,the climate is beautiful. I heard the school is great there? Correct me if I am wrong.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:21 PM

15,785 posts, read 7,923,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
My wife went to elementary school in Eminence, we know the original Windy of Windy's canoe fame along with many of the locals. MO State did a documentary on the area years ago, if you ever get a chance to watch it you should, it was done in the 1970's...talk about a trip back in time.
Inox, I remember seeing that film in a geography class when I attended SMSU. I think it was titled "Shannon County Home."

I used to visit Shannon Co. quite often back then and it doesn't seem to be as friendly as it used to be based on my recent visits. It seems like the official greeters nowadays are police roadblocks on HWY19.

Official Term: "Safety Check" ....yeah right

Old 02-19-2008, 11:28 PM

3 posts, read 6,881 times
well, I had to sign up, to voice my humble opinion... to answer the following.

Well, if the business climate and economic conditions are so good in Shannon County than why is it one of the poorest counties in the entire state of Missouri? I would say that the county needs to develop more tourism jobs, considering it is a nice remote area.

needs to develop more tourism jobs.....sigh. Most of us remember when we had No Tourist, back when it was a nice remote area..

yes, we were lucky enough to have grown up in the area, and ran from it as fast as we could when we were young... but the Ozarks never leave you, and call to you in a way you cant imagine. Its called home, roots, peace, family.
so, come visit and enjoy, move to and find peace, be nice and people will be nice in return, be judgemental and think we are all a bunch of hicks...... the big city is only hours away......the locals will point you in the right direction.

p.s. I told an old timer, i couldnt stay in the area as there were no jobs..he said " you aint read in the paper where anyone starved to death yet"... no, I never have....

Old 02-20-2008, 12:01 AM

21,398 posts, read 37,556,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by From LA...Little Alton View Post
well, I had to sign up, to voice my humble opinion... to answer the following.

needs to develop more tourism jobs.....sigh. Most of us remember when we had No Tourist, back when it was a nice remote area..

yes, we were lucky enough to have grown up in the area, and ran from it as fast as we could when we were young... but the Ozarks never leave you, and call to you in a way you cant imagine. Its called home, roots, peace, family.
so, come visit and enjoy, move to and find peace, be nice and people will be nice in return, be judgemental and think we are all a bunch of hicks...... the big city is only hours away......the locals will point you in the right direction.

p.s. I told an old timer, i couldnt stay in the area as there were no jobs..he said " you aint read in the paper where anyone starved to death yet"... no, I never have....

I really appreciate your post and welcome to City Data! I do love visiting that area of the Ozarks because of the friendly people and great scenery. I can understand why most younger people would leave due to the lack of jobs, though.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:42 PM

23,417 posts, read 32,880,301 times
Quote:
the Ozarks never leave you, and call to you in a way you cant imagine. Its called home, roots, peace, family.
I was just going to read this thread, and not post, but when I read that, I had to respond.
Those are very profound words! I spent a lot of time in Eminence, thought it was the most beautiful part of Mo, even better than my beloved Sainte Genevieve county.
Missouri calls to me with every passing day, and it just keeps getting harder to stay away.
Thanks, Little Alton, for expressing how I feel about my home state in such an elegant phrase.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:00 AM

205 posts, read 493,586 times
Thanks for this fine thread! Just another place we are going to have to visit when we get back there! Sure looks pretty there. Just gotta love those beautiful small Missouri towns. I love old mills like that. And that water is beautiful. Is there trout fishing there?

Old 02-22-2008, 05:20 PM

23 posts, read 76,016 times
Quote:
I hear you! I grew up in Crawford County Missouri, and left as soon as I was old enough--to go out and see the world--there HAD to be more than that little one-horse town could offer.

I've spent the rest of my life trying to get back there! I *ALMOST* have my husband talked into it.

I have relatives in Eminence and Alley Springs area and you're right, it's absolutely beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or