U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 03:45 PM

3 posts, read 6,879 times

Advertisements

Is there trout fishing there

the 11 point is stocked with trout from the greer access down... good fishing. you have to have a mo. fishing licience, with a tout stamp to keep trout..
there used to be a three day licience for fishing, not sure now, but with the www., (broken link) i am sure you can find the needed information. good luck fishing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 12:04 AM

4 posts, read 9,517 times
Smile It's like Heaven

My husband was born and raised in Eminence. We were married in 2006 and I moved here from Nashville Tn. Everyone was very welcoming. It is absolutely beautiful. We are very close to Alley Spring and it is by far my favorite place to walk besides the springs in back of our home. As for the town it is a nice small spot of down home country. Everyone is very friendly. It was actually pretty easy for me to find a great job. I have one of the better ones in town. I think. You just have to get out and look. As for business in town it is mainly own and ran by people in town. Don't go by what anyone says unless they actually live here. Hear say is just that and not too reliable. I also know a couple who just retired and built a house not too far from here. Land is pretty reasonable but it is going like hot cakes. If you have any questions ask away...

Old 03-26-2008, 12:15 AM

4 posts, read 9,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
Well, if the business climate and economic conditions are so good in Shannon County than why is it one of the poorest counties in the entire state of Missouri? I would say that the county needs to develop more tourism jobs, considering it is a nice remote area.
Shannon County happens to be one of the biggest counties in Missouri but it is the least populated. That accounts for part of the economical situation.We have plenty of tourism from around April to October.You might say that it is a seasonal county. We have plenty of jobs from ferderal to hourly pay at the dairy shack. One just has to simply get off the couch and look. It might not be the wealthiest county in Missouri but it is one of the friendliest and I think by far the best place to live in Missouri.I hope If you visit you find that we are by far one of the friendliest places to vacation to.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:19 AM

21,392 posts, read 37,547,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nchrisco View Post
Shannon County happens to be one of the biggest counties in Missouri but it is the least populated. That accounts for part of the economical situation.We have plenty of tourism from around April to October.You might say that it is a seasonal county. We have plenty of jobs from ferderal to hourly pay at the dairy shack. One just has to simply get off the couch and look. It might not be the wealthiest county in Missouri but it is one of the friendliest and I think by far the best place to live in Missouri.I hope If you visit you find that we are by far one of the friendliest places to vacation to.

I love visiting your region I just feel that Missouri could do a better job of bringing in more employment to the rural areas of the state. Other rural areas in the Midwest core are doing quite well.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:12 PM

14 posts, read 99,407 times
Are there homes for rent there? I would like to stay awhile and take my time looking for a place to buy. I can't come up with any resources for rental on the net.

Old 03-27-2008, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,256 times
Default I love Eminence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
Well, if the business climate and economic conditions are so good in Shannon County than why is it one of the poorest counties in the entire state of Missouri? I would say that the county needs to develop more tourism jobs, considering it is a nice remote area.
I have lived in Eminence for about 15 years and I love it! Yes, Shannon County is one of the poorest counties in Missouri, but what you have to consider is the cost of living in the area. If you're looking to make a ton of money, it's not for you. But, if you're interested in living in a beautiful area with friendly people, and making enough to get by (and it doesn't take too much), then it's perfect!

Old 03-27-2008, 06:09 PM

21,392 posts, read 37,547,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essy View Post
I have lived in Eminence for about 15 years and I love it! Yes, Shannon County is one of the poorest counties in Missouri, but what you have to consider is the cost of living in the area. If you're looking to make a ton of money, it's not for you. But, if you're interested in living in a beautiful area with friendly people, and making enough to get by (and it doesn't take too much), then it's perfect!
That area of the Ozarks is one of my favorite to visit I generally prefer to live in smaller cities, but do enjoy visiting those "out of the way" places. I have lived in a "frontier county" before and it was pretty harsh, including the weather.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:24 PM

1,291 posts, read 2,642,569 times
I will be there in April for my annual "He man woman haters" float trip!

Who gets the reference?

I can't wait...we are putting in at 17 bridge and floating down to Eminence. We will be camping on the river a couple of nights, checking out the caves, maybe fishing and for sure drinking a few beers. It will be all good!

Old 03-27-2008, 07:37 PM

23,417 posts, read 32,873,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
I will be there in April for my annual "He man woman haters" float trip!

Who gets the reference?

I can't wait...we are putting in at 17 bridge and floating down to Eminence. We will be camping on the river a couple of nights, checking out the caves, maybe fishing and for sure drinking a few beers. It will be all good!
thats one of my favorite floats! I am taking DD there in august to float, now that she is 16, and a certified lifeguard, I figure its safe!
Inoxkeeper, could you please take some pix, and post them in the pix thread????? I always thought that the scenery there was akin to an Impressionist painting.........

Old 03-27-2008, 08:03 PM

25,464 posts, read 12,496,737 times
A few years ago on Earth Day, we took our oldest son and his wife through Eminence to Blue Springs. I had found some land for sale that had a cave on it and the real estate agent gave me a key to explore the site. The hills, springs, just everything was breathtakingly beautiful. We explored for hours then went to town for lunch and yes, friendliness was everywhere. My part of Missouri is perfect for us. Hills, lakes, rivers, creeks. Friendly people also. Different tho'. But in a good way.

As far as any region being 'poor', so what? If the residents have found their Shangri La, then so be it. Money is not everything. We are on this earth for too short of a time to believe that happiness can only be found by having a large bank balance. Other things do matter. Being poor is no disgrace. Being ignorant, unthankful, slovenly, and mean is another story. But the two do not necessarily go hand in hand. I bring this up, because I have heard way too many people express their negative opinions about the lack of something or other in places off of the beaten path.

I say, leave it alone, please. Do not make it a tourist trap. Please. Then all will be lost. It will be over run by some who will never appreciate just what we are caretakers of. Don't mean to ramble, however, this state is so special. Others are also, but this is home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or