U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-20-2006, 06:48 PM
 
450 posts, read 1,873,719 times
Reputation: 303

Advertisements

I have always been interested in springs and clear flowing rivers. I know the Eminence area would be too cold for me in the winter, but it looks just gorgeous for the warmer months. Is anyone from or familiar with the area? What are land prices like there? Could one get a piece of land that had a small spring on it? I think that Alley Mill is the most beautiful place I have seen--I used to go to the north shore of Kauai up by Hanelai in Hawaii. That is where the filmed the movie South Pacific. I know it is comparing apples and oranges, but to this ole' country boy I think the grist mill at Alley Springs has it beat. That red siding and the milky blue water! Wow!

Let me know what it is really like there. Is Eminence a nice town for retirees? What about medical? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-21-2006, 10:54 AM
 
Location: SW MO
339 posts, read 1,319,087 times
Reputation: 142
It is remote. You would not be near any major medical facilities. I'm guessing land would run in the $1000 per acre range - maybe less. Finding property with a spring in that area should be pretty easy.

If slow pace and affordable living is what you are looking for in retirement, then that area would be good. But you should expect a long trip for major medical care. My friend's father from Elsinor was in St. Louis for treatment recently.

It is by far the prettiest part of the State.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2006, 08:44 AM
 
2 posts, read 11,017 times
Reputation: 10
I hope this helps you with your decision. My husband is related to a pioneer family in Eminence. He wanted to buy property or a business so we could semi retire. We were told that all the jobs are taken and the only ones available were the low paying jobs. We love the area, but if there are no jobs there how can you be expected to buy a home for possible resale. It seems like everything is all locked in. The business owners probably live elsewhere. We were extremely disappointed. We are looking elsewhere in Mo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2006, 01:56 PM
 
12 posts, read 39,556 times
Reputation: 14
Default Eminence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
I have always been interested in springs and clear flowing rivers. I know the Eminence area would be too cold for me in the winter, but it looks just gorgeous for the warmer months. Is anyone from or familiar with the area? What are land prices like there? Could one get a piece of land that had a small spring on it? I think that Alley Mill is the most beautiful place I have seen--I used to go to the north shore of Kauai up by Hanelai in Hawaii. That is where the filmed the movie South Pacific. I know it is comparing apples and oranges, but to this ole' country boy I think the grist mill at Alley Springs has it beat. That red siding and the milky blue water! Wow!

Let me know what it is really like there. Is Eminence a nice town for retirees? What about medical? Thanks.
Hello! I really can't answer your questions, but...I was looking for anyone who might have a picture of a country school I went to in the ozarks, Davis, and wound up reading your post. Eminence is beautiful. I grew up in Willow Springs area, not too far from there. We went swimming in a lake in Eminence under a bridge. My brother and I swung from a rope on a cliff and dropped into the water below...waaayayyy below. Getting up my nerve the first time, my bro said, Hey, Patty, there's a snake on that rock by you. And there was. I jumped. I thought I would never surface, but it was easier the second time. You just woke up an old memory, thanks. My bro is now dead. I am a 72 year young ladey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2006, 06:59 PM
 
450 posts, read 1,873,719 times
Reputation: 303
Default Am glad you have happy memories!

Thanks for your response. What a wonderful thing good memories are. People live on through the memories. If you Google: Alley Mill it will lead you to some really neat photos of the Ozarks and country places. I am looking at some land down by Alton and in Oregon County. The Eleven Point River area is very interesting. You were indeed fortunate to grow up in one of the most beautiful areas on God's green earth!





Quote:
Originally Posted by peppy View Post
Hello! I really can't answer your questions, but...I was looking for anyone who might have a picture of a country school I went to in the ozarks, Davis, and wound up reading your post. Eminence is beautiful. I grew up in Willow Springs area, not too far from there. We went swimming in a lake in Eminence under a bridge. My brother and I swung from a rope on a cliff and dropped into the water below...waaayayyy below. Getting up my nerve the first time, my bro said, Hey, Patty, there's a snake on that rock by you. And there was. I jumped. I thought I would never surface, but it was easier the second time. You just woke up an old memory, thanks. My bro is now dead. I am a 72 year young ladey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2007, 07:20 PM
 
5 posts, read 15,339 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
I hope this helps you with your decision. My husband is related to a pioneer family in Eminence. He wanted to buy property or a business so we could semi retire. We were told that all the jobs are taken and the only ones available were the low paying jobs. We love the area, but if there are no jobs there how can you be expected to buy a home for possible resale. It seems like everything is all locked in. The business owners probably live elsewhere. We were extremely disappointed. We are looking elsewhere in Mo.
i have a different opinion! i have lived in shannon county mo. my whole life, and the buisness owners in that area are all local people that i see almost every day,it is a quiet place and a slow place but the people are for the most part friendly, and helpful, and i know of land that sells for like 700.00 per acre so its pretty cheap to live there to , and you dont have the hassels of city life,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2007, 01:38 PM
 
1 posts, read 5,223 times
Reputation: 10
Cool What a beautiful place to be.

I lived fairly close to Eminence ...about 30 miles by the flying crow and it was a great place to visit time and time again. The country side is beautiful and the springs and rivers are awesome. Most of the people I met while living there were really nice. Just outside Eminence we stopped by the Current River for a little rock hunting and came upon some folks throwing horseshoes in a pit right next to the river. The wives had all made thier best recipes and prepared a pot luck picnic lunch for all. It was a picture of friendship amongst the entire group and it was an every Sunday happening I was told during the good months of the year. The ages of the pitchers ranged from 10 to 84 and the 84 year old gentleman was not easy to out pitch. We were invited to have lunch as though we had been coming for years and it was our first meeting.........really nice folks. The rolling hills and curving roads through the area are quite pleasant and worth any price of admission and it's all there free for everyone to enjoy. There is so much to enjoy right here in our country...why go any where else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2007, 01:26 AM
 
Location: Summerville, SC
556 posts, read 1,970,071 times
Reputation: 294
OMG, that is the MOST BEAUTIFUL PLACE I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2007, 11:57 AM
 
Location: IN
21,398 posts, read 37,552,456 times
Reputation: 13939
Post Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorigleason View Post
i have a different opinion! i have lived in shannon county mo. my whole life, and the buisness owners in that area are all local people that i see almost every day,it is a quiet place and a slow place but the people are for the most part friendly, and helpful, and i know of land that sells for like 700.00 per acre so its pretty cheap to live there to , and you dont have the hassels of city life,
Well, if the business climate and economic conditions are so good in Shannon County than why is it one of the poorest counties in the entire state of Missouri? I would say that the county needs to develop more tourism jobs, considering it is a nice remote area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2007, 08:26 PM
 
13 posts, read 39,156 times
Reputation: 17
Default A Little Update on Eminence Mo

Hi everyone Im new but I live in Eminence have off and on my whole life. I have five generations of family buried here and cant think of living anywhere else. With the new technology like the internet, you could virtually work at home and live here . Not every one can get dsl most are on dial up, to get dsl you have to live within 5 miles of the main relay station in town. However you can get wildblue satalite. Thats what I have. My better half works at the lead mines over in Viburnum, a 50 mile drive one way but its one of the better jobs around here. I do website and work on pc's actually I am disabled and just do things to keep me busy and sharp. I have never been bored here, and I dont understand people that do get bored. Anyway. people are buying land like its got gold on it. In the last two year land here has almost doubled. More cablins and hotels are going in everywhere. If there is anything else you need to know about Eminence, just ask Im sure between me and lori we can find the answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top