Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 07:33 PM

104 posts, read 452,846 times

Advertisements

Hello Missouri,
I will be leaving the military in about a year, I’m from Georgia but I’m thinking about maybe moving to another state. I have done a lot of research on Kentucky, but would like to know what the residents think. What are some good places (cities) to live? Things like crime, schools, economy, state taxes, cost of living, are all important but a couple of things I’m looking for as well is “hospitality”, a sense of neighbor hood, and politeness. I’m looking for a place that has community events (festivals, parades, carnivals, fairs, concerts), with beautiful scenery, hunting, and fishing. I’m currently in the US Army serving in Iraq, I built power lines before I joined and I’m a (25L) Signal Corp Telecommunications Lineman inside the Army. I will be looking for work in the power lineman or telecommunications field when I separate from the military. My wife is a Registered Nurse (RN) and will be looking for a job as well. So any info on power companies, telephone companies, and hospitals in those areas would be greatly appreciated. Best place to raise a family? So what’s your states “Mayberry”?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 04:59 AM

56 posts, read 158,742 times
Talking Where to live

Look at Ellington MO. I moved here from Utah and have fallen in love with this community. Great people, great land prices. It has a hospital (small) and the power company is shorthanded according to the sevice folks. The school system is quite impressive. Great place to raise a family. I moved from an area of 1.2M folks to Ellington who has 1300 residents. Low crime, love it.
Good luck in your search.
Mike

Old 02-11-2008, 12:58 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,632,411 times
Any population requirements? Less than 5000? More than 500,000?

Old 02-11-2008, 01:11 PM

104 posts, read 452,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Any population requirements? Less than 5000? More than 500,000?
Under 70,000!! But preferably, around 10,000 to 30,000.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:32 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,834,931 times
Ellington's nice, but it's only about 1,000 people. How about Poplar Bluff? 15k-20k people, basically any convenience you'll need, and relatively cheap. Parts of the city are dangerous, but I think most of it is alright. My cousin lives in an apartment behind Poplar Bluff and my parents used to live in an upstairs apartment when they first got married. We go there about one a week or so for appointments and groceries. There's also a waterpark, which is fun during the winter. Overall it's a nice place.

My sister lives in Sikeston, which is about the same size, and Cape Girardeau's a little bit bigger than that.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:21 PM

47 posts, read 232,083 times
Columbia Missouri is population 85,000+/-. Located halfway between St. Louis and Kansas City on I-70. Great downtown historical district, highly regarded schools and they love their festivals It is the healthcare hub of mid missouri. In Columbia alone there is the University of Missouri hospital, Boone Hospital, Columbia Regional Hospital. Excellent, Excellent job opportunities for nurses with a shortgage.

Centralia, Missouri has a population of approx. 3,500. It is located 20-30 minutes north of Columbia. Good schools and our local "Mayberry" Wonderful parks department with an annual Anchor Festival hosted on the cities town square.

Boone Electric Cooperative handles a lot of the rural area power supply.

Hope that helps!

Old 03-01-2009, 04:47 PM

2 posts, read 6,704 times
I would love to hear more about Centralia, MO. Thinking of moving there. I live here in Columbia and it's just getting too big..I would appreciate any input.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:07 PM

167 posts, read 451,785 times
Ozark MO near Springfield, and hospitals, there are a few power companies close by, great schools, they do have a active community spirit for a town of their size.

also the rest of the outlying Springfield area.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:18 AM

17 posts, read 35,656 times
I have lived in Missouri(misery) almost all my life. If you like methamphetamine and litter and a$$holes you will love Missouri...Don't get me wrong, there are lots of good people in Missouri,however it is not the friendliest place on earth. Lots of one way people and lots of drugs. I've lived in St. Louis,Jefferson city area,Jefferson county area,Franklin county and currently St Francois county.South may be better. Southeast seems worse(poplar bluff etc...)Not familiar with southwest. Jefferson county is the #1 meth producer in the world. Do your' homework... The weather sucks. It'll be nice one day and crappy the next. Winter depression is terrible( I hibernate). You can figure on wasting 2/3 of the year hibernating unless you like crappy weather and freezing. Yesterday I rode my motorcycle and tomorrow it's supposed to snow(10-12" in Kansas city). I wouldn't recommend this state to anyone. Don't even get me started on the state government...double taxes etc...We are looking to be down south as soon as possible.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:24 PM

40 posts, read 73,382 times
So babor72, where do we send donations to help you leave?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri