U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 02:06 PM

944 posts, read 3,687,403 times

Advertisements

From SE Missouri to Alaska?

That's quite a change, although this winter is good practice for you.

I have lots of relatives spread from the far southern Alaska Panhandle to Anchorage and Talkeetna, so let me know if you need any contacts.

It's interesting that you say things are different north of CG --- I haven't been to that part of MO. I actually have very little experience with the state in general and am very curious about it.

And now I can't help but mention The Outlaw Josey Wales, my all-time favorite Clint Eastwood movie. It starts in MO and is grounded in the history of what was happening there during the Civil War. It just fascinates me because I get the sense that MO, more than any other state, is a microcosm of America. It's north and south, it's east and west, it's liberal and conservative and moderate, it's all different ethnicities that make up our land, and yet it has a reputation of being backward and redneck which I think is undeserved in spite of my ignorance about the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 3,436 times
Default Go West young man (or woman)!

Go ahead, attack the Limbaughs. How awful that they've come from this small town/"city" and have made something for themselves, WAY beyond what their so-called wealthy (not really by today's standards) family had established. David and Rush's mother was one of the sweetest and most respected women in this area and she had plenty of reason for being proud of her boys. I would imagine your attacks are more on their political beliefs and not what they've been able to accomplish. It just figures! So, feel free to move west, WAY west, west of the San Andreas fault, which I'm sure will NEVER rattle California into the ocean. And as far as crime in Cape Girardeau, Puh-lease! I visited California recently for some work-related training and every night (and I'm not exaggerating) there were numerous murders, drug incidents and at least one high-speed chase. Those don't happen much around here. So, again, please, go. I always say if you don't like the weather in Missouri, stick around, it will change. But by all means, don't stick around. I'm sure your opinion will be appreciated much more elsewhere.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:56 PM

9 posts, read 39,653 times
I can agree with a lot that the OP said about Cape. I agree that traffic can be horrific during lunch hour and when were all heading home around 5. It gets on my nerves too, but It gives me the opportunity to find an alternate route.

I will also agree with his comments on the price to rent any home, apartment, trailer within the county, can sometimes take up the family's whole monthly income. I work as a social worker with a Community Action Agency, I see it first hand.

I will also agree that racial tensions within the southeastern part of our state is growing and in some communities already caused many deaths and heartbreak. I see this first hand too. It is disgusting how human beings can not get along with other human beings. People, we are all the same on the inside. Get over yourselves and teach your children to look past color and into the heart of the person next to them.

Drugs within our communities are a disgrace. So I will believe the comment about police officers on every corner. Meth and crack are sold out in the open the fear of being caught and actually serving time are of no consequence to the offenders. In my opinion put more cops out there, do more drug busts and make those sentences mean something. No more slap on the wrist!!!

But all in all I firmly believe that Cape Girardeau and the surrounding counties are a WONDERFUL place to raise children and couldn't move off again even if tempted with greener pastures. Been there, done that and moved right back!!! Family and I moved to Wyoming to pluck a wild hair my honey got, we hated it, to darn cold, boring and too far to get to a Wal-mart!!! You know us rednecks and Wal-mart.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:46 PM

667 posts, read 2,159,640 times
Goodness, I would so appreciate to be in Cape Girardeau right now. I moved to Prescott/ Prescott Valley, Arizona in June 2006 & have never felt more racial tension, have never seen more drug abuse (mostly meth), seen more cops & heard more sirens in the middle of the night & all throughout the day. I've moved alot in the last 13 years, from Louisiana, Illinois, Ohio, Missouri & now Arizona. And I must say, Cape Girardeau is the best place that I've lived in all of these states. I know that there are better places to live, but I've stopped searching for "perfect" & have decided to be happy with what I have. And I sure do miss MO & IL. I've made up my mind to put my roots there & cannot wait to feel that humidity again. Forget the dry heat, I feel like beef jerky. I will happily trade the rattlesnakes & weird prickly plants & dirt for the "alien" bugs & greenery. After being here for over a year, the midwest has never looked so beautiful!!

Old 11-04-2007, 09:00 AM

1 posts, read 3,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzleloader View Post
Five years ago, we moved to Cape Girardeau and, at first, we were impressed with this "town". But the longer we've lived here, the less enamoured we've become.

Back when I was a kid, we often visited Cape, since it was one of the larger shopping towns in this part of the state. At that time, it was a "town" of about 15,000. Today, the population is around 35,000. And, quite honestly, the old residents seem to resent the growth (even though they still own most of the business that is making money off of the newcomers).

Now, Cape is a "big town"...and community leaders seem hell bent to make it a "small city"...with "big city" problems.

It has to be the absolute worst "city" I've ever had to drive in, especially at lunch time and between 4 and 6 in the evening. "City" planners have done a horrible job with street and road lay out, and traffic congestion is as bad as in a real "city" with ten times the populaiton. Housing is outrageous here, especially for anyone needing to rent. There is not enough work for those looking for employment...and far too many employers in Cape Girardeau tend to look for only "part time" employees, reducing their commitment to providing benefits. And there is a racial tension here that definitely does not make for a healthy environment.

Per capita, this small "city" likely has more police officers than any other community in southeast Missouri - and that's likely due to the need. It is nearly impossible to drive more than two blocks without seeing a patrol car, and most evenings the local news reports something about a shooting, robbery, murder, theft, vandalism, or what have you.

The old class of native residents seem to have a real arrogance about them that will quickly wear on just about anyone from outside the area. In this town, if you don't come from one of those old families with old money, you had better get used to strong snobbish treatment from those who do.

But if you like hot and steamy high humidity in July and August, this ol' Mississippi River town just might be the place for you.

ME...I'VE HAD ENOUGH...AND I'M GETTIN' OUT!

Toby-at-Large

Muzzleloader
hi
I'm so shocked about what you've written ;I'll join southeast state university ,Missouri in a couple of months and I've been trying to collect some information concerning Cape Girardeau and SEMO;does everybody think that cape girardeau is not so nice a place to live in?

Old 10-04-2009, 10:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,682 times
cape area is a wonderful place to live and work..it is surrounded by natural areas that are peaceful treasures,,and people that will give ya the shirt off your back if you need it...i have lived everywhere and traveled to europe..i love it here!! the university provides the cultivated climate that i need and there is a thriving art colony...if you buy property in the country ..you will be amazed at how much serenity that you will find...

Old 10-04-2009, 03:15 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,173,564 times
I hope you are absolutely and totally in LOVE with windy days. Me, not so much. Hope you find happiness in Wy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzleloader View Post
MoMark,

I lived in the Springfield area for about 7 years. Use to be the Public Relations Manager for that giant outdoor catalog operation you have there. I lived there during the growth spurt...and know what you mean about the traffic.

And that bit about moving West...that's exactly what I'm planning next spring. Headed for Wyoming...where there's plenty of open spaces. And I'll be doing what I love...writing a weekly outdoor column for four or five newspapers.

Toby-at-Large

Muzzleloader

Old 10-05-2009, 09:46 AM

777 posts, read 1,151,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindspace View Post
cape area is a wonderful place to live and work..it is surrounded by natural areas that are peaceful treasures,,and people that will give ya the shirt off your back if you need it...i have lived everywhere and traveled to europe..i love it here!! the university provides the cultivated climate that i need and there is a thriving art colony...if you buy property in the country ..you will be amazed at how much serenity that you will find...
+1. I agree with mindspace, althoug I've never lived in Cape Girardeau myself.

The Cape has minor traffic congestion during "rush" hour. But it’s NOTHING compared to big city traffic like, say, NYC, Boston, San Francisco, LA, etc.

Old 10-06-2009, 08:38 AM

270 posts, read 596,726 times
I think this is a matter of perspective. Have you ever been totally stuck in traffic where it did not move for an entire 30 minutes in cape? I have at earth city expressway, 270, and on the rare occasion hitting the 55 ramp into St. Louis. Crime happens anywhere and everywhere. In every town there are certain neighborhoods where 75% of the crime for the entire city occurs. Just avoid those areas as they are usually not located near anything of interest anyway. Racial tensions? That's everywhere I've ever been. People of every color and creed I've ever met just love to vent their anger at lack of money, love, etc. by hating people and then complaining about everyone else who is doing the same thing they are.

Solutions for living with these problems in MO?

1. Racial tensions: Best answer is to develop thicker skin and don't let black/white racists get to you. I didn't include hispanic because that's not a race and it's hard for me to imagine enough Asians or Pacific Islanders or Native Americans in any one MO town to really do much systematic racial harrassment! Second thing you could do is move to one of the areas that are near 100% white or black if you just really can't deal with other people. Several towns in IL, around St. Louis, and possibly elsewhere are nearly 100% black. Lots of towns are near 100% white. If you're Asian, I guess you could find a specific block in st. louis or kansas city.

2. Traffic: I don't find traffic to be bad anywhere in MO. Drive at off peak times is the only solution I can think of or don't move where you'll hit the worst roads, that would be helpful. The more remote the area, the less traffic.

3. Crime: Don't move into areas that are well known from crime. Hate to offend anyone but places with poor people, both white and black, are the areas where most crime occurs. MO allows concealed carry, so it's not a safe place to be a criminal unlike many other areas where the criminals know that lil ol lady can't fight back.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:26 PM

15,849 posts, read 31,410,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
Springfield has the traffic issues too, the town's infrastructure simply isn't designed to handle the mass of traffic that has accompanied the growth. I think Springfield has around 150,000 inhabitants, actually lost a few thousand in the last few years, probably to Ozark, Nixa, and surrounding communities. But I think it's typical in these parts for the towns not to be able to keep up with traffic. There's so much that's good and positive about Springfield that although the traffic bottlenecks grate on me, I am satisfied overall. People are friendly for the most part and I don't notice any racial issues here. I'm sure they exist in parts, as well as some crime, especially in the older northern part of town off Commercial Street, but overall, it's a wonderful place to live. Move West Johnny!
I was listening to KWTO 560 am two or three days ago and they said the "metro" area of Springfield (Willard, Rogersville, Republic, Nixa, Ozark, Battlefield, etc.,) is almost 400,000 people.

I've been on Sunshine trying to get to Hwy 65 at 5:15 pm. I believe it.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri