U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 08:09 PM

63 posts, read 156,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzleloader View Post
Five years ago, we moved to Cape Girardeau and, at first, we were impressed with this "town". But the longer we've lived here, the less enamoured we've become.

Back when I was a kid, we often visited Cape, since it was one of the larger shopping towns in this part of the state. At that time, it was a "town" of about 15,000. Today, the population is around 35,000. And, quite honestly, the old residents seem to resent the growth (even though they still own most of the business that is making money off of the newcomers).

Now, Cape is a "big town"...and community leaders seem hell bent to make it a "small city"...with "big city" problems.

It has to be the absolute worst "city" I've ever had to drive in, especially at lunch time and between 4 and 6 in the evening. "City" planners have done a horrible job with street and road lay out, and traffic congestion is as bad as in a real "city" with ten times the populaiton. Housing is outrageous here, especially for anyone needing to rent. There is not enough work for those looking for employment...and far too many employers in Cape Girardeau tend to look for only "part time" employees, reducing their commitment to providing benefits. And there is a racial tension here that definitely does not make for a healthy environment.

Per capita, this small "city" likely has more police officers than any other community in southeast Missouri - and that's likely due to the need. It is nearly impossible to drive more than two blocks without seeing a patrol car, and most evenings the local news reports something about a shooting, robbery, murder, theft, vandalism, or what have you.

The old class of native residents seem to have a real arrogance about them that will quickly wear on just about anyone from outside the area. In this town, if you don't come from one of those old families with old money, you had better get used to strong snobbish treatment from those who do.

But if you like hot and steamy high humidity in July and August, this ol' Mississippi River town just might be the place for you.

ME...I'VE HAD ENOUGH...AND I'M GETTIN' OUT!

Toby-at-Large

Muzzleloader
A few years ago my husband and I were in Cape Girardeau antiquing. We were in an antique shop and when we got ready to leave, the store owner said if we were going to cross the bridge there was an area of town to avoid. She even drew us a map, so we would be sure and stay out of that area. We were really surprised, we had no idea that parts of the town were unsafe. Very odd.
Arundel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 10:26 PM

46 posts, read 142,471 times
I totally agree with most posts about Cape Girardeau, MO. I see nothing special about it; it's just a boring, small conservative, overwhelming Republican river city with small university with serious resistance to potential growth and change for better. Heck, it's the hometown of Rush Lamburgh and his rich family, LOL! If SEMO was not built in Cape, the city will be just one of poor small agricultural towns like most towns in the Bootheel. Although I lived in both Kennett (in the Bootheel near Piggott, Arkansas) and Jackson for 4 years, I liked these two small towns way better than Cape with much friendier, less snobbish people with Kennett being more diverse and unsurprisingly not racist against black people.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:41 PM

35 posts, read 96,038 times
I lived in Cape for 3 years (1996 - 1998), I consider those the happiest days of my life. I lived on Rose St., me and 4 other friends all rented a big house. We all worked in the bar industry, I worked at Jeremiahs, one guy worked at the Purple Crackle, and 2 others worked at the Rude Dog. On Sunday mornings we would all sit around and argue about who's hangover was the worst and where we were going to eat. Cape is one part of my past I wouldnt change, it was simple, fun, and it taught me not to take everything so seriously.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:05 PM

2,132 posts, read 4,096,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derry8107 View Post
I totally agree with most posts about Cape Girardeau, MO. I see nothing special about it; it's just a boring, small conservative, overwhelming Republican river city with small university with serious resistance to potential growth and change for better. Heck, it's the hometown of Rush Lamburgh and his rich family, LOL!
Rush Lamburgh? You mean, Rush Limbaugh (and let's not forget about his brother David, who is a syndicated columnist)!

If you can't get Rush's last name correct, I kinda think you have never listened to his show...

My experience with the Cape back when my wife and I visited it in May 2006 was overwhelmingly positive except for one heckuva thunderstorm that rolled through during the late afternoon. I was getting some White C..OK, OK, Caucasian Castles and was driving back to our hotel when it rained so hard I had to pull over to the side of an I-55 offramp. The lightning show continued after dark, which was great to see, since thunderstorms are almost unheard of in California except in the higher mountain ranges. But I found everyone to be very friendly and down-to-earth with us. We loved the murals painted on the river levee, as well as the Bollinger Mill and covered bridge in nearby Burfordville. Lunch at the Port Cape restaurant was great as well! We also visited the Trail of Tears State Park about 10 miles north of Cape Girardeau. That was kind of bittersweet, since Mrs. Northbayeric is part Cherokee, but we'd love to go back and visit it as well as the whole town again at some point.

I wonder, too, if the "Cemetery of the Innocents" mourning the killing of unborn children, with its Sacred Heart of Jesus sign, and numerous crosses on the east side of I-55, is still there? We were amazed that it hadn't sustained any vandalism, and the fact that it didn't only gave us an even more positive impression of Cape Girardeau.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:14 PM

23,417 posts, read 32,870,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew1972 View Post
I lived in Cape for 3 years (1996 - 1998), I consider those the happiest days of my life. I lived on Rose St., me and 4 other friends all rented a big house. We all worked in the bar industry, I worked at Jeremiahs, one guy worked at the Purple Crackle, and 2 others worked at the Rude Dog. On Sunday mornings we would all sit around and argue about who's hangover was the worst and where we were going to eat. Cape is one part of my past I wouldnt change, it was simple, fun, and it taught me not to take everything so seriously.
OMG, the Crackle! I lived in Cape in '81 for about 6 months, that was such a fun place to go party after places in Cape closed!

Old 11-06-2009, 03:59 PM

4,679 posts, read 11,084,317 times
MOD NOTE: This thread is NOT about Rush, nor about national political BS... its about Cape, its politics, its people, its pros/cons, its history, its future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri